Stony Brook II

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
msbny

Re: Stony Brook II

Post by msbny »

Much of the disappointment this season goes to recruiting. Not enough players ( height and shooters ) to handle the competition . Seven players are not enough in any league . Some of the seven appear overwhelmed at times .
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

msbny wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 pm Much of the disappointment this season goes to recruiting. Not enough players ( height and shooters ) to handle the competition . Seven players are not enough in any league . Some of the seven appear overwhelmed at times .
It was obvious to most of us that we didn’t have enough size in the post going into the season. Had hoped we would have enough outside shooting, but Reilly took a step backwards this year, and Bethea could never get healthy. For some reason Ingelsby just doesn’t seem to feel comfortable going more than 7 deep. It’s been an issue his entire tenure as head coach. Really hard to compete consistently without any depth. Super frustrating for sure. I can’t imagine anyone affiliated with the Athletics department is pleased with the way the season has gone. And nothing short of a miracle run in the CAA tournament will change that.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

When a 6’9 player is recruited, I assumed he would play in the paint…

Hopefully, Martin will use the final scholarship (assuming noone leaves) on a “big man”, that said, C_Ray will be tough to replace!
#JustWinBaby
UDJoe

Post by UDJoe »

IMHO, the recruitment priority for next year should focus on point guards who can shoot the three and big men who can defend well and grab rebounds. Too often, the current team has to play one-on-one basketball because of the lack of a true distributor at the point position. The portal is where players like that can be found, albeit it will always be a crap shoot. This year's group had some positive results (Lane, Trent and Drumgoole) some slight successes (Houser) and some with only a small contribution (Bethea and Jerome). And, of course, there is always the possibility (probability?) that Davis gets a lucrative NIL offer from someone and will not finish his career at UD. That would create a huge need to find another scorer and team leader.

And I agree with others that a seven player rotation is too shallow to compete with the better CAA teams, particularly if some of those players have notable holes in their game (e.g. are not strong on the defensive end). And it seems that CUSA plays a more physical type of basketball than does the middle of the pack CAA squad the Hens have been of late.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

UDJoe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:48 am IMHO, the recruitment priority for next year should focus on point guards who can shoot the three and big men who can defend well and grab rebounds. Too often, the current team has to play one-on-one basketball because of the lack of a true distributor at the point position. The portal is where players like that can be found, albeit it will always be a crap shoot. This year's group had some positive results (Lane, Trent and Drumgoole) some slight successes (Houser) and some with only a small contribution (Bethea and Jerome). And, of course, there is always the possibility (probability?) that Davis gets a lucrative NIL offer from someone and will not finish his career at UD. That would create a huge need to find another scorer and team leader.

And I agree with others that a seven player rotation is too shallow to compete with the better CAA teams, particularly if some of those players have notable holes in their game (e.g. are not strong on the defensive end). And it seems that CUSA plays a more physical type of basketball than does the middle of the pack CAA squad the Hens have been of late.
+1 Spoken like a true PG :D :D
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

The holes on this team are obvious and they need to be filled better than they were this year which was not very well. The team has so many players with notable and multiple holes that spanned poor shooting, ball handling and defense. Being small and not shooting well is a bad combination. It’s how they finished in a 3 way tie for 6th.

I don’t get caught up in the need for “point guards”. The team needs players that can handle the ball and shoot at least a little and create their own shots as well. The more shooting the better, but you simply can’t have guards (Lane and Trent) that play meaningful minutes and shoot 12-41 and 2 (yes 2)-17 for from three. And they can’t be on the court at the same time with players (Davis and Ray) that shoot 19-72 and 4-20 from 3. The Hens were 214 in 3 point percentage and 236 in 3 points made. It got worse and worse as the season went on.

And obviously, in addition to shooting guys that can handle the ball, the team desperately needs a big (er) player that can defend the rim at least a little. Getting some scoring out of them would help as well too.

The needs are obvious, just as they were last year. Hopefully, they can be filled better than this year.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Hens79 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:34 am The holes on this team are obvious and they need to be filled better than they were this year which was not very well. The team has so many players with notable and multiple holes that spanned poor shooting, ball handling and defense. Being small and not shooting well is a bad combination. It’s how they finished in a 3 way tie for 6th.

I don’t get caught up in the need for “point guards”. The team needs players that can handle the ball and shoot at least a little and create their own shots as well. The more shooting the better, but you simply can’t have guards (Lane and Trent) that play meaningful minutes and shoot 12-41 and 2 (yes 2)-17 for from three. And they can’t be on the court at the same time with players (Davis and Ray) that shoot 19-72 and 4-20 from 3. The Hens were 214 in 3 point percentage and 236 in 3 points made. It got worse and worse as the season went on.

And obviously, in addition to shooting guys that can handle the ball, the team desperately needs a big (er) player that can defend the rim at least a little. Getting some scoring out of them would help as well too.

The needs are obvious, just as they were last year. Hopefully, they can be filled better than this year.
Excellent summary, 79. Just hope MI and staff finally get serious about competing for conference championships. Talk is cheap…get it done!!!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

I won't dispute anything that has been said,

We just have differs views on how they could have been better, I don't think shooting was quite as big an issue but your point on 3pt shooting is valid.

All this team needed was a Collin Goss type. I feel they win 4 more games with that type of player.

Biggest issue: We had ZERO intimidation factor on defense. Teams had no fear taking the rock at us. When we had good outings on the D side, we won.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

I think we are all saying the same thing, maybe just with different points of emphasis. No disputing the correlation between defense and winning percentage, but ultimately you still need to be able to put the ball in the basket. This team has not done that consistently, and now teams are scouting us accordingly. Regarding our needs for a big, how that wasn’t addressed going into this season is still a great disappointment. MI has to get that fixed before next season. And counting on Moss to play a significant role better not be the answer.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Maybe apples and oranges but Todd Golden turned around a bad Florida program in 2 years, Pitino has St Johns competing again so i think coaching may have something to do with it.
Los Angeles Harballers
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:56 pm Maybe apples and oranges but Todd Golden turned around a bad Florida program in 2 years, Pitino has St Johns competing again so i think coaching may have something to do with it.
No, it absolutely does and losing your best players to the portal doesn’t help either, but I would like to think the good coaches could keep some of the guys around. The problem is the further you get into is tenure with the poor record. Do you really attract the kind of players
And people that can turn the program around? I think the best bet you have to try to turn the program around is within the first 2 to 4 years after you get there.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 pm I think we are all saying the same thing, maybe just with different points of emphasis. No disputing the correlation between defense and winning percentage, but ultimately you still need to be able to put the ball in the basket. This team has not done that consistently, and now teams are scouting us accordingly. Regarding our needs for a big, how that wasn’t addressed going into this season is still a great disappointment. MI has to get that fixed before next season. And counting on Moss to play a significant role better not be the answer.
When does UDMBB turn the page on Moss? He hasn't played at UD in 2 years & I believe he missed his senior high school season?

Can they give him the medical exemption & open up a scholarship?
#JustWinBaby