I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jd of de

Re: I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by jd of de »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:49 pm
jd of de wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:46 pm
UDHoops wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 am Can we still participate in FCS playoffs in 2024?
NOPE

In fact, if mama has ever wanted to take a post-Thanksgiving cruise or visit the Christmas markets in Germany, 2024 and 2025 are your years to get that done.

No FCS playoffs in 2024.

No bowl game in 2025. The rule change to 5-7 teams being bowl eligible, eliminated the chances of UD getting an exemption our first year in FBS.
5-7 teams to a bowl game?

How long will it be before every team goes to a bowl game?

They will have to change the name to the post season appreciation participation game
The more P4 teams they can get into bowl games, the more money the P4's get to keep. The power conferences don't hide their greed anymore. In less than 12-months they have cut the G5/Mid-Major opportunities to get access to football bowl games and basketball NIT bids.

Very soon a 5-7 P4 will be playing a bowl game while a 6-6 G5 sits at home. You heard it here first. :oops:
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

jd of de wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:49 pm
jd of de wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:46 pm

NOPE

In fact, if mama has ever wanted to take a post-Thanksgiving cruise or visit the Christmas markets in Germany, 2024 and 2025 are your years to get that done.

No FCS playoffs in 2024.

No bowl game in 2025. The rule change to 5-7 teams being bowl eligible, eliminated the chances of UD getting an exemption our first year in FBS.
5-7 teams to a bowl game?

How long will it be before every team goes to a bowl game?

They will have to change the name to the post season appreciation participation game
The more P4 teams they can get into bowl games, the more money the P4's get to keep. The power conferences don't hide their greed anymore. In less than 12-months they have cut the G5/Mid-Major opportunities to get access to football bowl games and basketball NIT bids.

Very soon a 5-7 P4 will be playing a bowl game while a 6-6 G5 sits at home. You heard it here first. :oops:
Sad but true…i can see it not far down the road where we are going to most likely have to win the conference to get in a bowl game even if records are better P4 wants it all
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

jd of de wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm Very soon a 5-7 P4 will be playing a bowl game while a 6-6 G5 sits at home. You heard it here first. :oops:
Already happened this year with Army getting hosed because of their late game after bowl selection happened...although in Army's case they had 2 FCS wins...but they still were kept out of a bowl game at the expense of a 5-7 Minnesota.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Because they play the game later Army and Navy are the exceptions to this rule. Not sure what happens when Army joins the AAC
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Baldspot

Post by Baldspot »

CUSA men’s and women’s basketball tournament currently underway in Huntsville, AL
Schedule and bracket linked.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 8e75019281
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Have any of you heard on your affiliate sports. Asked several months ago and people were not to concerned. Know UMass applied to keep men's lacrosse and women's rowing in the A10. The league will vote on the application next month. Men's soccer is waiting on the MAC and the indications are there will be an affiliated add so the sport would come back. Curious specifically about men's soccer and generally on the other sports not in CUSA. Congrats on the CUSA.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Mr. Steve, thus far, only the affiliation for our new women's ice hockey program has been announced - College Hockey America.
https://bluehens.com/news/2024/3/26/co ... head-coach

Nothing yet on the other non-CUSA affiliated sports (i.e., field hockey, men’s soccer, men's and women's swimming, men’s and women's lacrosse, and women’s rowing), though it's not unreasonable to believe UD is seeking a single, eastern-based conference for these sports. You'd have to think an announcement would be made in the coming weeks, as conferences complete their spring schedules.
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 am Mr. Steve, thus far, only the affiliation for our new women's ice hockey program has been announced - College Hockey America.

Nothing yet on the other non-CUSA affiliated sports (i.e., field hockey, men’s soccer, men's and women's swimming, men’s and women's lacrosse, and women’s rowing), though it's not unreasonable to believe UD is seeking a single, eastern-based conference for these sports. You'd have to think an announcement would be made in the coming weeks, as conferences complete their spring schedules.
Best wishes and the A10 is one of those few conferences. Would think you'd give a hard look to the AAC and have not checked the depth of the SunBelts offerings. The MAC does not have a few teams and does not have that heavy east coast presences. Take care and kick some as in CUSA!
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

This was from the UD Messenger email highlighting the UD Board discussion on UD financial challenges:

William Lafferty, vice chair of the board, asked about the financial impact of moving the Athletics program to Conference USA in fall 2025. Assanis said the costs — which will start in the FY2026 budget — are being covered through philanthropic donations. In the long run, the move will financially benefit UD by providing a more prominent platform to promote academic programs, research and admissions opportunities, especially in geographic areas with growing populations.

Assanis' explanation is very typical but the reality frequently is that the costs are hard and come early and the benefits are soft and well down the road.
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 am Mr. Steve, thus far, only the affiliation for our new women's ice hockey program has been announced - College Hockey America.

Any word yet. Know that you have found the Summit for soccer, but perhaps would switch if the MAC would take the other teams, except men's Lacrosse and women's rowing, which we have applied for affiliate membership in the A10. The MAC has a good relationship with the MVC, but our hope is staying in the A10.

Regarding MAC men's soccer, UMass may hear in the next month or two.This is UMass Sports Insider from around 2PM. Men's soccer starts around the 12 min mark and specifically 20 minute mark for MAC Soccer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBd_hQU4Nw