JMU vs NDSU tomorrow

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Re: JMU vs NDSU tomorrow

Post by The January Man » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Are the playoffs really that enjoyable to you guys? Especially you Old Bulls that want to stay in FCS, hoping and praying that UD actually is a good team with a shot to win it sometime in the near future.

It's not fun. There are 24 teams that make the Tournament. Maybe 3-4 have a chance to win it. That means a TON OF SLOP is in the Tournament. UD is part of that slop when they get in, once every X years.

We know already who will probably win it 3 out of the next 4 years, don't we? That QB on NDSU is a redshirt-Frosh. NDSU will just re-load around him and win and win and win and win.

I'd rather get my butt kicked at the next level than stay put and have the same crap happen season after season at this level.

/END RANT

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm

We play in FCS and SUCK. Why would you even think of FBS?
The January Man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:35 pm
Are the playoffs really that enjoyable to you guys? Especially you Old Bulls that want to stay in FCS, hoping and praying that UD actually is a good team with a shot to win it sometime in the near future.

It's not fun. There are 24 teams that make the Tournament. Maybe 3-4 have a chance to win it. That means a TON OF SLOP is in the Tournament. UD is part of that slop when they get in, once every X years.

We know already who will probably win it 3 out of the next 4 years, don't we? That QB on NDSU is a redshirt-Frosh. NDSU will just re-load around him and win and win and win and win.

I'd rather get my butt kicked at the next level than stay put and have the same crap happen season after season at this level.

/END RANT

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

North Dakota State's next game is against Oregon, this is the kind of team the Bison should be playing every Saturday
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

North Dakota State's next game is against Oregon, this is the kind of team the Bison should be playing every Saturday
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 pm

UD is bigger stronger university surrounded with better football talent. We invest more dollars in the program then NDSU. We should be on there level. It's a joke we are this bad. Brocco era must end. We are better then them on all levels other than the field. So pissed
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm

It's tough to watch a team own a decade while we lost one.
MAKE DELAWARE FOOTBALL GREAT AGAIN

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 pm

IMHO, there should be lots of questions about how Cignetti managed the clock at the end of the game.

UD77
UD Class: 0

Post by UD77 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:14 am

The January Man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:35 pm

/END RANT
In my opinion UD has always been minor league and most likely will stay there. Most of our FB history has been D2 where we played the likes of the Merchant Marine, Gettysburg, etc. Yes we beat some of the Semi - Bigger Boys (Temple, Nova, etc) but we basically beat up on little guys and pretty much the same teams we play today. The only actual Div 1 national champion team was Field Hockey (where we play against the best in the country and not a D1 FCS type of situation). We will never be competing for the FB National Championship as in this Monday's game, so I would rather settle for an FCS championship rather than play in an Outback/ Tampon / Back Scratch-er Bowl where a 6-5 UD plays a 6-5 UMass in Houston Texas on a Thursday night where the winner gets a ..... what? The bowls remind me of the participation awards that we give to all the kids that just show up for practice and don't win the championship. They are a reason to go to another part of the country and see the sites.

Just curious, how many bowls are there in a year. If it is 15, outside of the top four that are playing for something, doesn't that make 30 teams in a one game playoff that can claim that they won a bowl and nothing more. Nice trip for the players, but means nothing.

Currently we would not even have a chance in the next level up in FB to even make to a minor bowl appearance - that would be a lot of fun

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:26 am

UD77 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:14 am
The bowls remind me of the participation awards that we give to all the kids that just show up for practice and don't win the championship. They are a reason to go to another part of the country and see the sites.

Just curious, how many bowls are there in a year. If it is 15, outside of the top four that are playing for something, doesn't that make 30 teams in a one game playoff that can claim that they won a bowl and nothing more. Nice trip for the players, but means nothing.
Excluding the game Monday night (both teams already competed in a bowl game), there are 39 bowls games this season. Since 130 teams compete at the FBS level, only 52 of them DO NOT compete in a bowl game. Participation award aptly describes most of the bowl games.

For those that continually post how watered down a 24 team, FCS playoff system is.
78 of 130 FBS teams play in a bowl game ... 60.00%
24 of 126 FCS teams make the playoffs ... 19.05%

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 am

I’d rather get a “participation trophy” and have the chance to go to a decent venue in December than be irrelevant in the has been world of FCS football. Sure would be fun to be App St and play and beat North and South Carolina in the same season, average close to 25K attendance, and play a bowl game in NOLA. That excites people.

Few care about Elon, Albany and Stony Brook. That they regularly beat the Hens is ... well ... you .... know embarrassing. And fewer and fewer care every year. Oh well ... it was 68 yesterday and will be 65 today here in Newark. Listened to the Hens beat down to Towson yesterday while I did yard work in shorts. Gotta be thankful for something.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am

93BlueHen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm
It's tough to watch a team own a decade while we lost one.
NDSU wins the FCS championship 8 out of the last 9 years with three different coaches. Perplexing on many levels. I can't believe they have that deep of a coaching well on their staff every year. Have any of their recent coaches who moved even won their conferences? If their success is all about coaching then their AD has the market cornered on the coach selection process. The buzz I always hear about their success is their recruiting- limited competition in their geographic region with some recruiting success nationally. In either case, coaching or recruiting, Seemingly UD hasn't been able to get coach selection or recruiting right for some time. We have lots of resources and are geographically in a reasonable region to recruit, why can't we get it right? Maybe this season things will turn around, I sure hope so.
PS Bohl has had one Mountain West championship since leaving NDSU and his last two seasons have been mediocre at best. Kleiman has only one season in at KSU finishing at 8-5. Bohl hasn't fallen flat on his face but he isn't setting the world on fire at Wyoming. Jury is still out on Klieman.

hendog

Post by hendog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 am

regardless there doing something right while we hire 2nd rate coaches who cant recruit or coach talent whatever it is

bct2000
UD Class: 1990

Post by bct2000 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:09 pm

UDJoe wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 pm
IMHO, there should be lots of questions about how Cignetti managed the clock at the end of the game.
That was the same thing I noticed. Bad clock management by JMU on that last drive, over 20 seconds were going off the clock between plays. Coaching was a big factor in that game. JMU was caught flat-footed on the fake FG where the holder ran 20 yds for a TD. A different player was in as the holder, which as someone else pointed out, should have been a tip-off that a trick play was coming. When JMU tried a flea-flicker with a little over a minute left in the game, NDSU was not fooled at all, both safeties were tightly on the tight end, who was the only receiver in the play. I'll give NDSU credit, they are a VERY well coached team. Everyone seems to be where they are supposed to be, you don't see players out of position. They are fundamentally sound along with having great talent.

bct2000

Post by bct2000 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm

jd of de wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:26 am
UD77 wrote:
The bowls remind me of the participation awards that we give to all the kids that just show up for practice and don't win the championship. They are a reason to go to another part of the country and see the sites.

Excluding the game Monday night (both teams already competed in a bowl game), there are 39 bowls games this season. Since 130 teams compete at the FBS level, only 52 of them DO NOT compete in a bowl game. Participation award aptly describes most of the bowl games.

For those that continually post how watered down a 24 team, FCS playoff system is.
+1 Only 6 FBS wins are needed to qualify for a bowl. This means a 6-5 team can be bowl-eligible if the 6 wins are against FBS teams. Some real mediocrity in many of these lesser bowls.

bct2000

Post by bct2000 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm

jd of de wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:26 am
UD77 wrote:

+1 Only 6 FBS wins are needed to qualify for a bowl. This means a 6-5 team can be bowl-eligible if the 6 wins are against FBS teams. Some real mediocrity in many of these lesser bowls.