Marker

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluewyn Gold

Re: Marker

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Udforever1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:18 pmMontana St and South Dakota St are on another level. To me, it’s them, and then the rest of the FCS. They played earlier this year and it wouldn’t shock me one bit to see a rematch in Frisco.
From my limited viewing of FCS games in '23, I don't see Delaware competing with SDSU, Montana St., Idaho, or NDSU. Hopefully, the team continues to improve and win games.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:48 pm
Udforever1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:18 pmMontana St and South Dakota St are on another level. To me, it’s them, and then the rest of the FCS. They played earlier this year and it wouldn’t shock me one bit to see a rematch in Frisco.
From my limited viewing of FCS games in '23, I don't see Delaware competing with SDSU, Montana St., Idaho, or NDSU. Hopefully, the team continues to improve and win games.
SDSU, sure. Montana St? Most likely. But the more you move away from those teams the better chance you get. The NDSU team this year is not like the behemoths that won all those titles. And Delaware could get home games - that wouldn't help against SDSU, but it could help against a lot of teams. Delaware's getting there, but Rome wasn't built in a day, or just a season.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
VIKING '87
UD Class: 1987

Post by VIKING '87 »

Info Hound wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Double G wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm Marker said Delaware’s offensive line made things pretty easy for the Hens on Saturday.

“Look, the offensive line, I could have had a picnic back there,” he said. “They were on fire today. I mean I owe everything to them, I really do. ...
What a huge area of improvement year over year!

Credit goes to OL Coach, Chris Rogers!

There sure was a lot of hand wringing in the preseason regarding this area.
Irrational exuberance? Remember, this was Hampton. Let's see of we do with Towson.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

VIKING '87 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:34 am
Info Hound wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Double G wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm Marker said Delaware’s offensive line made things pretty easy for the Hens on Saturday.

“Look, the offensive line, I could have had a picnic back there,” he said. “They were on fire today. I mean I owe everything to them, I really do. ...
What a huge area of improvement year over year!

Credit goes to OL Coach, Chris Rogers!

There sure was a lot of hand wringing in the preseason regarding this area.
Irrational exuberance? Remember, this was Hampton. Let's see of we do with Towson.
Not at all. I am referring to the entire body of work, including PSU. Major improvement.
#JUST WIN
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

I know Marker had all day to throw but his ball looked really good in the highlights I saw. He also looked physically imposing compared to Hampton's defenders. He can run without you worrying that a hit would break his bones (which I was constantly on edge about watching Henderson play).
Caldwell Chicken

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

Housthen18 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 am I know Marker had all day to throw but his ball looked really good in the highlights I saw. He also looked physically imposing compared to Hampton's defenders. He can run without you worrying that a hit would break his bones (which I was constantly on edge about watching Henderson play).
Agreed. He was also much quicker than I had anticipated and kept a few drives going with his feet.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:57 am
Housthen18 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 am I know Marker had all day to throw but his ball looked really good in the highlights I saw. He also looked physically imposing compared to Hampton's defenders. He can run without you worrying that a hit would break his bones (which I was constantly on edge about watching Henderson play).
Agreed. He was also much quicker than I had anticipated and kept a few drives going with his feet.
Agree with all but before I Splice the Mainbrace, let’s see how things go at Towson.
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

there's a famous line- "patience is a virtue". I have to agree that more games need to be digested until we can validly gauge the "obvious" improvement we've made since last season. We clearly are much better than last season, but last season was not a high bar to exceed.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Double G wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:39 am I thought all our QB's looked good Saturday. Marker certainly is an asset moving forward but if he was THE guy he wouldn't have been sitting on the bench for 2/3 of the season so "we have the type of a QB that can take us on a playoff Run …" is a pretty bold statement .
"Carty said he wasn't sure if O'Connor would be available this week and Saturday at Towson."
Looks like we might get another look at Marker real soon. Will he be as effective against a more challenging pass rush as you suggest ? Let's hope so as the pirates were really a poor team.
I think it’s safe to say Zach Marker passed the test with flying colors. He’s just the type of QB you need to have a shot at beating Idaho, Sacramento St and the Furman types
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens »

When I first heard O'Connor was out I feared our season was over but we've almost hit another gear. Not sure if it's the competition or us but the slow starts have been forgotten.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Firstand10BlueHens wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:20 pm When I first heard O'Connor was out I feared our season was over but we've almost hit another gear. Not sure if it's the competition or us but the slow starts have been forgotten.
Whomever scouted Marker and sniffed him out playing for an Iowa Juco deserves a lot credit.

Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Marker’s running ability adds an extra dimension to our offense that makes it difficult for teams to stop. It’s the missing piece we’ve needed. His running ability causes some of the defenders to hesitate and become less aggressive in their rush. I’m a big fan of Ryan but if Marker continues to play like he has the last two games, it’s going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup. I agree that the coaches who found him in Iowa and recognized his talents deserve a lot of credit.
Caldwell Chicken

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:22 pm Marker’s running ability adds an extra dimension to our offense that makes it difficult for teams to stop. It’s the missing piece we’ve needed. His running ability causes some of the defenders to hesitate and become less aggressive in their rush. I’m a big fan of Ryan but if Marker continues to play like he has the last two games, it’s going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup. I agree that the coaches who found him in Iowa and recognized his talents deserve a lot of credit.
Well said.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Yeah, we have not posed a running threat from that position for some time. Does anyone know what Connor's injury situation was about?
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:22 pm Marker’s running ability adds an extra dimension to our offense that makes it difficult for teams to stop. It’s the missing piece we’ve needed. His running ability causes some of the defenders to hesitate and become less aggressive in their rush. I’m a big fan of Ryan but if Marker continues to play like he has the last two games, it’s going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup. I agree that the coaches who found him in Iowa and recognized his talents deserve a lot of credit.
I can’t recall which assistant, but Coach Carty mentioned during one of his weekly football coaches shows that one of his coaches either previously coached at Iowa Central, or had a relationship with someone there. Crazy how the coaching network can help to identify someone like Marker and get him to Newark!!!