Kickers?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Kickers?

Post by Hengrad07 »

Any intel?
Last edited by Hengrad07 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JustWinBaby
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: Kickers???

Post by Cluck U »

Soccer team is doing well. Thanks for asking.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hengrad07

Post by Hengrad07 »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:04 am Soccer team is doing well. Thanks for asking.
Since when are draws considered “doing well”?
Last edited by Hengrad07 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JustWinBaby
UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan »

I honestly don't understand the panic on this subject. Reed earned first chance at placekicking for G1 with Schmoke kicking off. Reed hit the majority of his tries. Competition, like at QB (nominally), isn't over. I don't see the position room that differently than I did entering SBU.
Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Correspondent
Twitter @DanSteenkamer
Instagram | dansteenkamer.fcs
University of Delaware '25 via Syracuse University

2022 GoHens FCS Playoff Pick-'em Pool Champion
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Hengrad07 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:08 am
Cluck U wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:04 am Soccer team is doing well. Thanks for asking.
Since when are draws considered “doing well”?!!
2-0-1 is a good start for a team that finished 4-11-2 last year. And I don’t think anyone missed a penalty kick.

But, back to the real topic, I agree with Dan. Kickoffs were better, with a made FG along with the long miss. Missed an extra point, but made a lot of those.

I am going out on a limb to say I don’t think we are cursed…and our guys are proven talents. Just a game with a couple hiccups. Nobody is perfect.

I don’t expect kicking problems to be the Achilie’s Heel of this team.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

I actually thought it would be reverse where Reed was kicking off and Schmoke was kicking field goals.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

UDan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:10 am I honestly don't understand the panic on this subject. Reed earned first chance at placekicking for G1 with Schmoke kicking off. Reed hit the majority of his tries. Competition, like at QB (nominally), isn't over. I don't see the position room that differently than I did entering SBU.
What is beyond some of our fans comprehension is that a player can earn a starting position by his performance at practice and not play as anticipated in the actual game. Our special teams is the least of our worries moving forward I hope.
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

"The kicker is just one part of the operation. You need a good snap, a good placement and good blocking as well." -- Capt. Obvious.

That being said, if i was the king of football I would get rid of the goal posts. Football games should be won and lost by football players-- not kickers. Score the hard way or don't score at all.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

It does feel a bit odd that a pre-season 1st team All American wasn’t kicking FGs and Extra Points in week 1…especially someone with the pedigree of Schmoke coming in to the season. But if others don’t see that as at least interesting, so be it. Regardless, you have to believe the coaching staff is doing what they think gives them the best chance to win, including who is kicking FGs. In the very least, nice to have some depth at that position.
Hengrad07

Post by Hengrad07 »

UDan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:10 am I honestly don't understand the panic on this subject. Reed earned first chance at placekicking for G1 with Schmoke kicking off. Reed hit the majority of his tries. Competition, like at QB (nominally), isn't over. I don't see the position room that differently than I did entering SBU.
NO panic!! I was surprised to see that a walk-on beat out an all-conference & projected All-American kicker! I was at the Blue-White game & was impressed by his kicking ability!

Thanks again for your outstanding work!
#JustWinBaby
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

I don't think anyone is panicking either but it was a surprise not to see Schmoke handling more of the duties and we did indeed miss an XP and a makeable FG. Let's see how this plays out
UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan »

Hengrad07 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:32 am NO panic!!
HENJOHN wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:34 pm I don't think anyone is panicking either
Sorry, '07--I don't intend to put words in or labels on your mouth! :D

The three question marks in the thread title and in the original post just suggested urgency to me :) .

I know it's different because O'Connor played so well overall at SBU, but I really think this is similar to the QBs--they're gonna be getting in-game chances in this competition
Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Correspondent
Twitter @DanSteenkamer
Instagram | dansteenkamer.fcs
University of Delaware '25 via Syracuse University

2022 GoHens FCS Playoff Pick-'em Pool Champion
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Attila the Hen wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:19 am "The kicker is just one part of the operation. You need a good snap, a good placement and good blocking as well." -- Capt. Obvious.

That being said, if i was the king of football I would get rid of the goal posts. Football games should be won and lost by football players-- not kickers. Score the hard way or don't score at all.
Then we couldn’t call it “Football” anymore!
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

Dan- Obviously 07 doesn't understand that multiple question marks and exclamation points actually have a meaning.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Either way I'm sure our Place kicking performance will be improved over last season and should get better as season goes on