Game thread

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

Re: Game thread

Post by HENJOHN »

Early Forecast for next Saturday is Rain showers most of the day in low 70s
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Carty likes the long ball guys, not many worked last night but we got lots of pass interference calls and will continue to get them as our WRs are good. I’m more concerned about WRs not being open in this offense, and this goes back to last year, as I thought they would be. You really can’t tell by watching Flo, but just judging by QB being hesitant to let it rip
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

I think someone, maybe Carty, mentioned that St. Francis was using a deep zone coverage scheme which is probably why the deep passes were well covered. Although we hit a couple of longer passes, the passes had to be perfectly placed and the receivers had to make outstanding catches. I felt like we should have been using intermediate and shorter passes to force them to come up and defend those types of passes and then maybe hit a longer pass. With our speed at WR, we should be able to get open easier than we did during that game. I’m not a big fan of going long on 3rd down passes. We did that on a 3rd and 4 and I believe on a 3rd and 7 and failed to get the first down. I’d much rather use a shorter pass play to get the first down than take a low percentage shot downfield which ultimately ended up killing two of our drives.

Yarns needs to be our number one back. He has speed and runs with authority. He sees the holes well and his jump cuts to burst through a hole are outstanding. He also catches the ball well out of the backfield. I’m not sure about his blocking ability but his running and pass catching abilities are excellent. He’s become the back I envisioned when we recruited him out of high school where he had several FBS offers. I think the serious injury he suffered in practice his freshman year (broken leg I think) likely impeded his development.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:51 am I think someone, maybe Carty, mentioned that St. Francis was using a deep zone coverage scheme which is probably why the deep passes were well covered. Although we hit a couple of longer passes, the passes had to be perfectly placed and the receivers had to make outstanding catches. I felt like we should have been using intermediate and shorter passes to force them to come up and defend those types of passes and then maybe hit a longer pass. With our speed at WR, we should be able to get open easier than we did during that game. I’m not a big fan of going long on 3rd down passes. We did that on a 3rd and 4 and I believe on a 3rd and 7 and failed to get the first down. I’d much rather use a shorter pass play to get the first down than take a low percentage shot downfield which ultimately ended up killing two of our drives.

Yarns needs to be our number one back. He has speed and runs with authority. He sees the holes well and his jump cuts to burst through a hole are outstanding. He also catches the ball well out of the backfield. I’m not sure about his blocking ability but his running and pass catching abilities are excellent. He’s become the back I envisioned when we recruited him out of high school where he had several FBS offers. I think the serious injury he suffered in practice his freshman year (broken leg I think) likely impeded his development.
The Hens are 12th in the CAA in 3rd down conversions and 13th in the red zone . It's still early in the season but they were problem areas in 2022 that hopefully improve ongoing.
udsb97
UD Class: 1997

Post by udsb97 »

Contemplating Interference calls in your game plan is not something that leads to long term success. Jaxhen is on target with his comments.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

udsb97 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:05 am Contemplating Interference calls in your game plan is not something that leads to long term success. Jaxhen is on target with his comments.
Yes Jaxhen is always on target!

The interference comment was more of an observation than part of a plan. I’ve noticed over the years that talented WRs seem to draw more flags when lesser players are trying to cover them is all
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Oldhen

Post by Oldhen »

I like the low percentage downfield throws. Nice to see a UD coach making the defense cover the whole field. Breath of fresh air.
I do whatever the Rice Krispies tell me to do.