Arm Chair QB

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Re: Arm Chair QB

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:31 pm
Section J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:45 am
Cluck U wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:14 pm You continue saying that I believe I know more than our coaches. And then you proceed to make excuses that involve lots of guesses about what you think are Rojas’ challenges…complete with a reference to Tubby’s tactics and challenges. That is your arrogance regarding your “knowledge” on display…not mine.

As to Santos, his job was to win. He failed. Either his tactics were wrong or his Jimmies and Joes were less talented (or failed to live up to that talent given the parameters set up by their coach). Apparently, all of Santos’ knowledge wasn’t good enough to do his job properly. Maybe he too was channeling Tubby.

In any case, you have put a lot of effort into making up theories to defend a coach with a defense that has been repeatedly shredded by good teams…with everyone in the stadium able to see what happened…and you riding to the rescue with excuses and theories pulled from your rear end.

And you are still sticking with the idea that coaches put their humongous collection of brain power and expertise into a poll (a poll that has repeatedly exposed the coaches for being so wrong)? Too funny. :lol:
Nope, you continue to offer opinions AS IF you know better than almost every coach on the field Saturday night. Seems ironic that someone you clearly admire in Coach Carty has such respect for the UNH team: "That is a tough FB team that played their butts off", yet you express so little.

Isn't it big of YOU to define what Santos's job is/was? I lean more toward Billy Beane who said, it's to win the last game of the year.

There you go again "Do his job properly"? :oops:
Yup, doing your job properly is going 1-10…so long as you win the last game of the year. :lol:

Not making the playoffs, but winning the last game…priceless. Can’t make this stuff up.
I assumed, maybe wrongly that you know who Billy Beane (Moneyball ring a bell?) is and what he was referring to when he talked about the last game of the year. The translation really isn't that challenging.

In baseball when you win the last game on the schedule/of the year that means you have won the World Series.

The translation is that winning the last game in the FCS level of college football would mean that you have won the National championship game.

You are welcome.
Last edited by Section J on Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Brad Pitt was great as Beane in Moneyball
Section J

Post by Section J »

HENJOHN wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:38 pm Brad Pitt was great as Beane in Moneyball
The book by Michael Lewis is outstanding. The same guy that wrote The Big Short.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Section J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:40 pm
HENJOHN wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:38 pm Brad Pitt was great as Beane in Moneyball
The book by Michael Lewis is outstanding. The same guy that wrote The Big Short.
Haven't read the book yet. Will check it out. THX
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Section J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:26 pm
Section J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:45 am

Nope, you continue to offer opinions AS IF you know better than almost every coach on the field Saturday night. Seems ironic that someone you clearly admire in Coach Carty has such respect for the UNH team: "That is a tough FB team that played their butts off", yet you express so little.

Isn't it big of YOU to define what Santos's job is/was? I lean more toward Billy Beane who said, it's to win the last game of the year.

There you go again "Do his job properly"? :oops:
Yup, doing your job properly is going 1-10…so long as you win the last game of the year. :lol:

Not making the playoffs, but winning the last game…priceless. Can’t make this stuff up.
I assumed, maybe wrongly that you know who Billy Beane (Moneyball ring a bell?) is and what he was referring to when he talked about the last game of the year. The translation really isn't that challenging.

In baseball when you win the last game on the schedule/of the year that means you have won the World Series.

The translation is that winning the last game in the FCS level of college football would mean that you have won the National championship game.

You are welcome.
I am familiar with Billy Beane...but there you go again, using silly quotes that have zero to do with your previous statements. No excuse. <----- That you? Or have you changed your tune?

UNH lost. Their coach played the wrong game. Genius.

Funny, Carty admits his mistakes, yet you can't admit coaches (with all of their so-called brilliance) don't make mistakes. Fans' observations have no merit and can't be correct...you simply parrot that coaches know more. If the coaches lose, it is about the Jimmies and Joes...and the coaches are not at fault for not recruiting players that are good enough to play in their system. :lol: Excuses, excuses, excuses.

This was never about me or my observations...but you know that. :lol:

On a separate note, The Big Short was a good book...and like the movie was designed to sell. Hard to cover every angle of that financial boondoggle, but it is a good place to start as an introduction to the crappy practices of the financial industry and our supposed "government oversight."
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:22 pm
Section J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:26 pm

You are welcome.
I am familiar with Billy Beane...but there you go again, using silly quotes that have zero to do with your previous statements. No excuse. <----- That you? Or have you changed your tune?

UNH lost. Their coach played the wrong game. Genius.

Funny, Carty admits his mistakes, yet you can't admit coaches (with all of their so-called brilliance) don't make mistakes. Fans' observations have no merit and can't be correct...you simply parrot that coaches know more. If the coaches lose, it is about the Jimmies and Joes...and the coaches are not at fault for not recruiting players that are good enough to play in their system. :lol: Excuses, excuses, excuses.

This was never about me or my observations...but you know that. :lol:

On a separate note, The Big Short was a good book...and like the movie was designed to sell. Hard to cover every angle of that financial boondoggle, but it is a good place to start as an introduction to the crappy practices of the financial industry and our supposed "government oversight."
Not about your opinions? or "This was never about me or my observations"

Let's review:
"I would love to see a 4 man front. Rojas is on record saying he won’t do that. This would be an excellent time to swallow his ego and do something different. If we get run over…Carty should begin the search for a replacement."

According to you, based on the performance of the defense in this one game, Carty should get rid of Rojas.

Another gem:
"Sure. Celebrate one game against a mediocre CAA team whose coach decided to throw 59 times on a windy day. :lol:"

The pre-season coaches poll (ranked #11), which you zhit on & the media polls (Athlon #8, other #11) all think that UNH is a bit better (sarcasm) than a mediocre team. Your subtext is that the win was neither very important nor impressive while everyone else has been calling it a "program win".

"UNH isn’t that good."

But you're right and everybody else is wrong including Coach Carty.

And as for the throwing 59 times (which makes Santos a bad coach?), that was a direct consequence of shutting Laube down and UNH taking what they are being given, Rojas's strategy from the jump it seemed. Make all the other guys beat you, not their star player.

"we aren’t winning anything big with this D as it is constructed"
Because you know more about how to construct a championship defense than Rojas and coach Carty. whom he works. Ultimately Carty approves or not the defensive strategy & alignment or he would have a different guy in there. He must believe in Rojas or there would have been a change in the offseason.

You contradicted yourself with this "We are on the right track because we have the right guy as our new CEO." Carty must like what Rojas is doing or he would be gone.

Then this: "Rojas’ scheme NEEDS big run stoppers in the middle against power teams". Again, your opinion is more informed than Rojas & coach Carty who you say is the right CEO.

"One way or another, Rojas will change his ways or will exit."Seems the two of you disagree or......... same defense as last year and yet Rojas is back. Wonder why Coach Carty kept him?

Another quip filled with your expertise: "Rojas adjusted last night. Congrats. It only took a monsoon for him to do the obvious. " Again with the subtext, Rojas is too stupid to adapt his defense to the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent unless there is a weather event? You do know that coach Carty approves the defensive game plan each and every week. But you know better than both.

"That lack of attacking frustrated the players. They were very vocal about that. They hated letting the opponent dictate the game. No one likes to get rolled with trying any adjustments…it demoralizes the players and the team."

Rojas & coach Carty should allow the players, who like you are far more knowledgeable about developing schemes than they are, to dictate what defense should be run based on their feelings being hurt? That didn't look like a demoralized team on the sidelines Saturday night, in fact exactly the opposite as Big R can attest. Your penpal relationship with the players is clouding your judgment.

As noted above it's not ME who thinks they are smarter than the coaches, it's you. In my profession, we describe that as a projection.

Enjoy.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

:lol: :lol:

Again, this isn’t about me or my opinions. Others have stated their opinions…many of them. Yet you have stayed silent…until... :lol:

No, this is entirely about you. You could do this all day, you stated. Why? Why now? Something…something…something about you thinking a person is thinking that they are smart, or smarter…or something…than someone else. :lol: Your projection theory might be more accurate if you look into the mirror.

Fact: we have been run over whenever we faced a power team. Repeatedly. This isn’t even in dispute. Blither on forever if you feel you must, but you are just pissing in the wind and looking foolish when you deny that. We are light up front…and have repeatedly been pushed around. Keeler (hey, one of those genius coaches) came to a brilliant conclusion that in order to win a championship against the big boys of FCS, his teams had to get bigger on both lines. Them he went out and did just that. Funny, so did SDSU (their coach said the same damned thing). And, I know this will come as a surprise…NDSU specifically recruits (AND develops) big boys on both sides of the line. They wear down teams and just run the damn ball down their throats at the end of their games. Same formula for success…for decades. Different teams…same result. No surprises. No excuses. You can’t change the facts…but, you sure keep coming back with the excuses. But yeah…Rojas, in all his smartness, has found a different way to defend against the big boys. Hey, how has that been going? Damned facts. :lol:

Fact: coaches lose games. Hint: it happens all the time. :lol: Incredibly (and this seems to be a surprise to you), sometimes coaches, in all of their brilliance you think they possess, get it wrong. And, even if it involves luck, or smarts, or pixie dust, sometimes a fan knows what would have worked (or, can plainly see what isn’t working). That may be an affront to self-important professionals, and some might drone on forever about uppity fans thinking they know better, but it is a reality.

Hope this helps.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:27 am :lol: :lol:

Again, this isn’t about me or my opinions. Others have stated their opinions…many of them. Yet you have stayed silent…until... :lol:

No, this is entirely about you. You could do this all day, you stated. Why? Why now? Something…something…something about you thinking a person is thinking that they are smart, or smarter…or something…than someone else. :lol: Your projection theory might be more accurate if you look into the mirror.

Fact: we have been run over whenever we faced a power team. Repeatedly. This isn’t even in dispute. Blither on forever if you feel you must, but you are just pissing in the wind and looking foolish when you deny that. We are light up front…and have repeatedly been pushed around. Keeler (hey, one of those genius coaches) came to a brilliant conclusion that in order to win a championship against the big boys of FCS, his teams had to get bigger on both lines. Them he went out and did just that. Funny, so did SDSU (their coach said the same damned thing). And, I know this will come as a surprise…NDSU specifically recruits (AND develops) big boys on both sides of the line. They wear down teams and just run the damn ball down their throats at the end of their games. Same formula for success…for decades. Different teams…same result. No surprises. No excuses. You can’t change the facts…but, you sure keep coming back with the excuses. But yeah…Rojas, in all his smartness, has found a different way to defend against the big boys. Hey, how has that been going? Damned facts. :lol:

Fact: coaches lose games. Hint: it happens all the time. :lol: Incredibly (and this seems to be a surprise to you), sometimes coaches, in all of their brilliance you think they possess, get it wrong. And, even if it involves luck, or smarts, or pixie dust, sometimes a fan knows what would have worked (or, can plainly see what isn’t working). That may be an affront to self-important professionals, and some might drone on forever about uppity fans thinking they know better, but it is a reality.

Hope this helps.
You seem to be the only one who took the bait.

As I read your scintillating observations I keep wondering if you have shared them with the new "CEO". Is it just a coincidence that he brought the same guy back from last year who ran the same defense then when SDSU ran all over them? Carty then must be the real dummy because he doesn't see what is so obvious to you.

Will you be the first to begin the fire Carty chants at the next home game? How about a sign?

FIRE CARTY BECAUSE HE WONT FIRE ROJAS, that's a start.

You should also ask why he can't or won't recruit the same kind of big boys that NDSU/SDSU/Sam Houston do/did. There is an answer (I've already given it to you) to that but the denial system is too strong to admit it.

The only fan on here filled with a Gold Medal Olympic level of hubris is ................... 9000 posts, now that's :lol:

It's an educated guess but did you have an unpleasant experience with a coach that has left you with lasting scars?
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Section J wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:45 am
Cluck U wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:27 am :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps.
You seem to be the only one who took the bait.

As I read your scintillating observations I keep wondering if you have shared them with the new "CEO". Is it just a coincidence that he brought the same guy back from last year who ran the same defense then when SDSU ran all over them? Carty then must be the real dummy because he doesn't see what is so obvious to you.

Will you be the first to begin the fire Carty chants at the next home game? How about a sign?

FIRE CARTY BECAUSE HE WONT FIRE ROJAS, that's a start.

You should also ask why he can't or won't recruit the same kind of big boys that NDSU/SDSU/Sam Houston do/did. There is an answer (I've already given it to you) to that but the denial system is too strong to admit it.

The only fan on here filled with a Gold Medal Olympic level of hubris is ................... 9000 posts, now that's :lol:

It's an educated guess but did you have an unpleasant experience with a coach that has left you with lasting scars?
Get your money back on that education. :lol:

Bait. 9000 posts. Yup…thanks for proving my point…this has nothing to do with me (except your obsession with me, which is on you). But, hey, you can go on all day (and you will). Happy to share your nonsense. :lol:

And that Gold Medal Olympic level of hubris…”I’ve already given it to you”. :lol: Yes…another excuse…and a display of you being as smart as the coaches of Sammy, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Appy, JMU, EWU, nova and all the other champions who somehow, despite all the different geographies and recruiting challenges, figured out how to get it done over the years. Wait…maybe it is the academics? 8)

Poor Delaware. Everything is against us. Only Keeler (dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnn!) fought through the excuses and figured it out for us. But, you know why we haven’t won…just can’t get those Jimmies and Joes. The other coaches haven’t consulted you. Maybe you should reach out and see if there is a job for you on our staff so you can share your secrets (and ridiculous excuses).

Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:28 pm
Get your money back on that education. :lol:

Bait. 9000 posts. Yup…thanks for proving my point…this has nothing to do with me (except your obsession with me, which is on you). But, hey, you can go on all day (and you will). Happy to share your nonsense. :lol:

And that Gold Medal Olympic level of hubris…”I’ve already given it to you”. :lol: Yes…another excuse…and a display of you being as smart as the coaches of Sammy, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Appy, JMU, EWU, nova and all the other champions who somehow, despite all the different geographies and recruiting challenges, figured out how to get it done over the years. Wait…maybe it is the academics? 8)

Poor Delaware. Everything is against us. Only Keeler (dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnn!) fought through the excuses and figured it out for us. But, you know why we haven’t won…just can’t get those Jimmies and Joes. The other coaches haven’t consulted you. Maybe you should reach out and see if there is a job for you on our staff so you can share your secrets (and ridiculous excuses).
I can only speculate that this is a reading comprehension issue.

Times have changed. The landscape of college football, especially at this level, is different than it was when KC was here. How is it different you ask? Great question. I'll outline this numerically so that it is a little easier for you to follow, it's called chunking.

1. FBS players who are looking for greener pastures now have more opportunities available to them than existed in 2012, 11 years ago.

2. FCS players who are looking for greener pastures and have demonstrated their talent now have more options as well and don't have to wait out a year.

3. The once proud and vaunted UD football program has lost substantial allure/appeal/gravitas from both HS recruits and potential transfers since the performance of the program has been abysmal over the past decade (with an exception). While other programs magnetism for those players has risen. We used to be able to attract many if any players from hotbeds of college football. Where are the majority of the players on the roster from?

Jimmies & joes, jimmies & joes.

Are you troubled by the fact that most of the post you wrote is reiteration? Have you had a Montreal Screening done lately? Well, the sincerest form of flattery I guess.
72 Hen
Recruiting Specialist
Recruiting Specialist

Post by 72 Hen »

This thread has really gone off topic.
"Hit Soooooooooomebody"