North Carolina A&T (1-4)

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
beancounter
UD Class: 1976

Re: North Carolina A&T (1-4)

Post by beancounter »

UDPat wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:53 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:21 pm
beancounter wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Well, I was a driver, but most of my horses needed a push at the finish. :D
:lol:

Damn…”driver.” Crud…been away too long from the harness circuit. :oops:

My uncle co-owned a couple Standardbreds. Bet on one once…for family pride. Yeah…that was a quick lesson. Let’s just say he picked stocks better than horses.
Eddie Davis was a driver.

Two horses I'll never forget, made a few on them

Icarus Lobell and Ramshackle Dave

Went to Brandywine many times with my Father
Eddie is my cousin. He still occasionally drives at age 80.
Proud to be a f@&king Blue Hen!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

I'd expect the Hens to go very balanced vs. NCAT. Establishing the run is key. If the weather isn't too terrible, our receivers should be able to break some big plays, at least from what I've seen so far. Their QB seems dynamic but doesn't have a ton of targets. Kick off coverage is a concern for me.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Agree B&G. Don't kick to their #18
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Udforever1 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:47 pm
jd of de wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:08 am I am currently on FLO watching yesterdays game vs Nova ... Lone win came against Norfolk State

Of the 14 points scored against Villanova, 7 came on a kick return for a touchdown.

Defensively they blitz a lot out of cover 2 ... some RPO on offense ... their QB reminds me a bit of Joe Walker

They play with energy and hit hard ... defensively they remind me a bit of Hampton last year.

I don't feel threatened watching this game... Aggies passing game struggles.
Watched some here and there last night and see what you see JD. Cook the kick returner is pretty good. Offensively, at least passing wise, they stink. Feel like I’m watching the 15-16 Hens.

Man I’d love if they brought their band.
You guys ain’t lying

I said earlier NC A&T was the cream of the cupcakes on our schedule but after watching the Freshman QB against Nova I’m backing down from that statement

They do hit you on defense but will give up big plays
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

beancounter wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 pm
UDPat wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:53 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:21 pm

:lol:

Damn…”driver.” Crud…been away too long from the harness circuit. :oops:

My uncle co-owned a couple Standardbreds. Bet on one once…for family pride. Yeah…that was a quick lesson. Let’s just say he picked stocks better than horses.
Eddie Davis was a driver.

Two horses I'll never forget, made a few on them

Icarus Lobell and Ramshackle Dave

Went to Brandywine many times with my Father
Eddie is my cousin. He still occasionally drives at age 80.
Nice little article about Brandywine Raceway:
https://www.karenfurst.com/blog/brandywine-raceway/

Eddie Davis! That guy was awesome! Racing ran in many families (Donald Dancer/Stanley Dancer, among others).

Good memories from Brandywine. It had some rocking nights...and plenty of local and national superstars (Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, The Pointer Sisters plus many more) were featured/played there. I worked there (too many funny stories), as did several family members. Damned shame when it closed.

Here is an interesting podcast with Eddie...from late last year...he helped saved Delaware Park/Dover Downs, and many others, with slots:

https://harnesslink.com/usa/eddie-davis ... umni-show/
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
beancounter
UD Class: 1976

Post by beancounter »

Hey Cluck, thanks for sharing. I spent a very large part of my youth at Brandywine Raceway.

True story about Herve Filion. He hit the only other car in the entire Brandywine parking lot one morning. He rolled down his window & yelled to the driver whose car he hit, "Send the bill to Herve Filion." And then drove off.
Proud to be a f@&king Blue Hen!
Pharmer
UD Class: 1971

Post by Pharmer »

I married a Smyrna girl and my Dad played around with the sulkies. We kept the broodmares and youngsters at our farm in southern MD along with giving the racing stock some "Doctor Green" every now and then. Wife knew the Davis's very well. She's related to the Thorpe's who also raced. Dad used Wayne Truitt from Harrington. We raced Rosecroft, Freestate and across the pond at Dover, Harrington and "The Ocean". Raced almost exclusively in DE the last few years since DE had the slots money and MD did not. Nice group of people till you get them on the racing bike and then it's no holds barred.
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

They got a couple guys that can make big plays. Let’s not give them anything easy tomorrow.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Henny wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:42 pm They got a couple guys that can make big plays. Let’s not give them anything easy tomorrow.
Are we back to football here? :D

Manny mentioned today that #18 has returned 3 KO's for TD's this year!
#JUST WIN
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Great Luncheon today Hound. Bob Lundquist really spoke with some emotion
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:44 pm
Henny wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:42 pm They got a couple guys that can make big plays. Let’s not give them anything easy tomorrow.
Are we back to football here? :D

Manny mentioned today that #18 has returned 3 KO's for TD's this year!
Football.

Foot.

That reminds me…

So, I got to work in the early morning at Brandywine and realized that I forgot my shoes. The boss wanted to send me home (an hour+ round trip) but I noticed a pair of boots in the back of his office. The rubber kind. I asked if I could borrow them for the day. No socks (forgot those, too). Sure, he said. I wore a size 8.5…his were a 13.

Absolutely clomping around like a teenage dork all day, in the summer, in the oversized boots…I decide to go into the grandstand to cool off.

Hey…escalator! I ride it up, walking backwards. Get near the top and the toe of the rubber boot catches the downward moving step. Ooops.

Couldn’t get my foot out of the boot (a bit sweaty by that time, and the instinct is to pull back instead of leaning forward and rotating the foot out) as I arrive at the top of the escalator. My boot and foot are being sucked down into the last set of the escalator’s teeth and I am reeling back with all my might, thinking my foot/leg is going to be mangled, and…a loud POP!!!

The rubber boot had stretched and snapped. The size 13 boot was now a size 4 with half my foot sticking out of a boot that looked as though it was bitten off by an alligator.

It was a long, awkward, ridiculous walk back to my boss’ office, and when I showed up, I just asked him how much it would cost to buy him a new pair of boots. I will never forget the confused look on his face.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

The drum section of UD’s band is up early this morning.

Love hearing that sound.

GAME DAY, BABY!!!

jd of de

Post by jd of de »

GAME DAY !!! Break out the rain gear and get loud !!!

And welcome home to our 2003 and 1963 NC Blue Hens, our 1993 playoff team that beat Montana, our 1988 Yankee Conference co-champions, our 1973 Boardwalk Bowl team and the 1978 DII NC runner ups.

And a special shoutout to our QB in 1953, Bob Hooper, and 70 years later can still be seen weekly at the BHTC luncheon; the Hens finished 7-1 that season and received an invitation to play in the Citrus Bowl (I believe), but was turn down by the university.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

That’s a great list to celebrate, jd!

Wooot!

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

jd of de wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:27 am GAME DAY !!! Break out the rain gear and get loud !!!

And welcome home to our 2003 and 1963 NC Blue Hens, our 1993 playoff team that beat Montana, our 1988 Yankee Conference co-champions, our 1973 Boardwalk Bowl team and the 1978 DII NC runner ups.

And a special shoutout to our QB in 1953, Bob Hooper, and 70 years later can still be seen weekly at the BHTC luncheon; the Hens finished 7-1 that season and received an invitation to play in the Citrus Bowl (I believe), but was turn down by the university.
Great stuff JD. Thanks for posting