Delaware to Conference USA?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Roger_Podacter
UD Class: 1995

Re: Delaware to Conference USA?

Post by Roger_Podacter »

Good luck moving up!

I see some 2-9 and 3-8 seasons for ya!

Tootle-looo!! 😁😁
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Roger_Podacter wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:20 pm Good luck moving up!

I see some 2-9 and 3-8 seasons for ya!

Tootle-looo!! 😁😁
Laces out, eh Roger? You seem just as unhinged.
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Just curious Roger, where did you go to school?
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:32 pm Just curious Roger, where did you go to school?
Probably not going to answer for a good bit. His parents are making him finish his Dr Suess reading and Coloring book Pre K assignments.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:32 pm Just curious Roger, where did you go to school?
Trinity Christian College
Palos Heights, IL
Home of the Trolls

Not sure he graduated however.
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

I’ve yet to see one post of his which offers anything constructive. It’s the same repetitive theme over and over again which offers no useful purpose.
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

The advantage of a weekend game is that it will air on mainstream television.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:38 pm
Probably not going to answer for a good bit. His parents are making him finish his Dr Suess reading and Coloring book Pre K assignments.
:lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Housthen18 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 pm Charlotte is actually instructive for why joining CUSA would be SMART. They're evidence that any FBS move creates an opportunity for sudden, exponential increase in a program's standing.

Charlotte started playing football in 2013 and moved up in 2015 at a significant competitive disadvantage. It is arguably the 7th most relevant football program in its own state, has FCS level stadium and facilities, and has zero track record of football success. And yet its temporary membership in CUSA positioned it to sneak into a conference Delaware could only dream of being in (and which only the most irrational on this board would decline to join). Charlotte is still bad, but its AAC membership puts the program in a better position than it ever has been to recruit real talent……

……..It is frankly outrageous that a school like Charlotte went from literally not having football to the American in 10 years, and Delaware, with its storied football history, cannot even sniff the AAC.
I suspect Charlotte’s draw for FBS conferences is driven by its presence in a large market. Lack of football history was less important.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Attila the Hen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am Cherrypicking, I mean Sitting, Bull

Let's be fair. Charlotte couldn't beat many CUSA teams either. One of the Tribe's best teams ever, motivated by a chance to beat an FBS (one still trying to get it's program off the ground), handled a downtrodden CUSA opponent. Once.

Carib,

I think an 85 scholarship FBS UD team would fare pretty well in CUSA, but a 63 scholarship FCS UD team-- not so much. Look how National Champ Sammy is doing. Just because you don't see or hear about CUSA teams doesn't mean the teams aren't talented.

And you can't use Massey or Sagarin or anything like that to compare schools across divisions. You just can't.
So I’ve seen several posters make claims promoting moving to CUSA would be a tremendous improvement in quality of games, and I made some “not so fast” comments about those claims that drew a lot of ire.

Using the Current Massey Rankings, Delaware would be 5-3 vs CUSA as an FCS team, would only get better when we’re actually in FBS

Massey game predictor with Delaware being the home team
Delaware 31
FIU 17

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=2108

Delaware 30
La Tech. 26

Delaware 27
UTEP. 21

Delaware 24
MTSU. 22

Delaware 24
NM St. 22

Those are the 5 wins

Western Ky 30
Delaware. 24

Jax St. 26
Delaware. 24

The best CUSA team beats us by 10
Liberty 31
Delaware 21

Villanova results are 4-4 playing same teams
Half point loss to NM St being the slight difference

So yes, Delaware should be competitive from Day 1 with a move up to this weak FBS conference

I’ll say it again though, CUSA would be a great FCS conference, despite the recent downturn of FCS, the top teams and conferences still compete very well with the lower FBS teams. This is really what the whole point is about.

So don’t let anybody like Henfan tell you the quality of play will improve dramatically over the “little league” Overall it will be better of course, but mostly because of the recent weak additions to the CAA, and I say this knowing the level of play in the CAA has been trending down for about 12 years.
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

You have too much time on your hands CH. CUSA is better than FCS including the CAA. We all know it. Glad you are finally getting it too. I don’t need a semantic debate between better, way better and way way better.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:24 am You have too much time on your hands CH. CUSA is better than FCS including the CAA. We all know it. Glad you are finally getting it too. I don’t need a semantic debate between better, way better and way way better.
Gee 79, CUSA is better than CAA? Of course it is, who doesn’t know that… that’s not my point

So you still don’t believe that Delaware would be competitive immediately in the weak CUSA?

Really?

You don’t think FCS South Dakota State wins the CUSA title?

South Dakota State 30
Liberty. 24

Eye test tells me South Dakota St wins bigger

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=7268

I only did the Massey comparison as a kind of an eye check with what my eyes were telling me. If you don’t wanna read it, easy enough just move along. :D
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

I have stayed out of this discussion other to say, I heard it was a done deal to CUSA. Don't know how true

But this this is pretty much fact

1) FCS is pretty much dead
2) CAA blows!!!! This schedule is putrid, The dopes that keep calling out for a tougher Men's Hoop schedule? Please, look in the mirror

Go anywhere but Independent at this point.

UD has NO STROKE, we have to go where we can at this point. IMHO
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:51 am
Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:24 am You have too much time on your hands CH. CUSA is better than FCS including the CAA. We all know it. Glad you are finally getting it too. I don’t need a semantic debate between better, way better and way way better.
Gee 79, CUSA is better than CAA? Of course it is, who doesn’t know that… that’s not my point

So you still don’t believe that Delaware would be competitive immediately in the weak CUSA?

Really?

You don’t think FCS South Dakota State wins the CUSA title?

South Dakota State 30
Liberty. 24

Eye test tells me South Dakota St wins bigger

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=5 ... &oid1=7268

I only did the Massey comparison as a kind of an eye check with what my eyes were telling me. If you don’t wanna read it, easy enough just move along. :D
GOOD STUFF Carib. But you broke the GoHens.net Golden Rule- you made a different point of view from some of the others. Shame on you :) Got to focus on nova this week and take care of business. Stay well! Wayne Hanby Go Blue Hens!
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

Conference USA is roughly equivalent to the top 8 schools (the Dakota 4, Southern Illinois, UNI, Youngstown, Illinois St.) of the Missouri Valley in terms of competitive strength.

It's "better" than FCS overall and certainly better than CAA but CUSA is not a good FBS conference by any stretch.