Delaware to Conference USA?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: Delaware to Conference USA?

Post by 77HEN »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:34 pm Northern Illinois (Ball State). 6,282
Miami OH (Akron): 7,233
Kent State (Bowling Green): 6,065
Buffalo (Ohio U): 11,444 probably 3000 in seats

Not CUSA but the MAC has been in the discussion
At this time, the MAC looks like some kind of anachronistic collection of irrelevant has beens. It should have its very own classification. And UD can’t join CUSA, what with all the extra jet fuel that would be burned and exhausted in to the atmosphere. The best arrangement would be to separate with the original members of the old Colonial AA (W&M, UR, Nova, UNH, URI, UMaine and perhaps Towson and Albany) and form a new FCS arrangement.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

getting ready to view the additions to the womens team at 7.

after reading more and more posts about FBS, FCS, CUSA, MAC, etc, I don't like any of the conferences mentioned for all the reasons I've posted. FBS IND looks most appealing for the short term till we settle in to the jump.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Forget FCS or FBS. Go completely independent. If UD were really forward thinking, we’d just declare ourselves to be a college team disguised as an NFL farm team. Somebody would fund us.

Just think, we could get all the best players and challenge the Top 15 college teams in the nation. Have the student athletes take dance courses for their year or two stay.

Heck, we could also arrange scrimmages against the Ravens, Washington Whatevers, New York Jets and Giants and the Eagles. Easy bus trips for fans.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Going to add my 2 cents in independence and about UMass. We had 14,672 in attendance for Merrimack after our Army win. When we are winning the fans will be there. Everyone has injuries and ours did cost us a few close games, but Masseys has moved us up to 118. Nothing great, but signs of life. It's about winning! An independent scheduling is hard and you end up with a difficult schedule. We played 2 P5, 2 top MAC teams and 2 top CUSA teams. Makes it hard for a winning season. Liberty became independent, when they proved that no conference would invite them. UDel does not have that argument and doubt you could move up as an Indy.

Did look up Kennesaw State for the first time. They are R2 Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution.
Kennesaw State is a comprehensive university located on two suburban campuses in Kennesaw and Marietta, northwest of metro Atlanta. We are making an impact across the region, the nation and around the world. As the third largest university in Georgia, Kennesaw State has nearly 45,000 students enrolled in over 180 undergraduate, master’s, doctoral degree and certificate programs.

https://www.kennesaw.edu/giving/campaig ... #champions
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

I’ve been to Kennesaw, very nice school - in the well-to-do NW suburbs of Atlanta. Big school, nice facilities but their football field is a little sketchy. It’s also a minor league soccer field if some kind and you almost get the feeling it’s a soccer stadium first, college football field secondarily.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

Some real puzzling comments.

BUT...

There is no escape from Reality.

IMO---

-- FBS Independence nearly impossible.

--starting a new FCS league--very difficult

I applaud UD for their FB success and tradition--for that to continue Big Steps will have to be taken.

"Big results require big ambitions." :)
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

jd of de wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:30 pm CUSA is a FCS conference masquerading as a FBS. It’s days are short and it’s ending (and next media deal) is ugly. You heard it here first.
CUSA masquerading as FBS is plain as day JD, just watch a game. The quality of play really isn’t that good for FBS But they would be a pretty good FCS Conference, I’ll give em that.

Now the media deal and where all this FBS money is going to continue to come from is the intriguing and mysterious part, especially with college football attendance on the the Franz Klamer ( downhill gold medalist 1976) on a national level. CUSA will see crumbs from ESPN while the big boys get all the money. Tulip mania hit the Dutch in 1637 and that mania was rooted in people’s desire to be fashionable and we have fans that think because the game is on ESPN well I must be in fashion.

What I would like to see is a game on television with the uniforms blacked out by silhouettes, no numbers, no names just two teams playing as silhouettes. Our fans will have to watch an FCS game and a CUSA game and see if they could tell the difference. I don’t know if I could do it.
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 pm
What I would like to see is a game on television with the uniforms blacked out by silhouettes, no numbers, no names just two teams playing as silhouettes. Our fans will have to watch an FCS game and a CUSA game and see if they could tell the difference. I don’t know if I could do it.
Carib, if you want to see a broadcast so incomprehensible and fuzzy you can’t even tell what’s going on all you need to do is turn on Flo tomorrow.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Housthen18 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 pm
Carib, if you want to see a broadcast so incomprehensible and fuzzy you can’t even tell what’s going on all you need to do is turn on Flo tomorrow.
Now that is funny. :D

I think Campbell might be the school that looks like your watching the game from the Goodyear blimp
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Housthen18 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 pm
:lol:

H18 with the post of the day!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

jd of de wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:30 pm CUSA is a FCS conference masquerading as a FBS. It’s days are short and it’s ending (and next media deal) is ugly. You heard it here first.
CUSA masquerading as FBS is plain as day JD, just watch a game. The quality of play really isn’t that good for FBS But they would be a pretty good FCS Conference, I’ll give em that.

Now the media deal and where all this FBS money is going to continue to come from is the intriguing and mysterious part, especially with college football attendance on the the Franz Klamer ( downhill gold medalist 1976) on a national level. CUSA will see crumbs from ESPN while the big boys get all the money. Tulip mania hit the Dutch in 1637 and that mania was rooted in people’s desire to be fashionable and we have fans that think because the game is on ESPN well I must be in fashion.

I know I'm just a newbie guest here--and I appreciate the opportunity to post.

But that is a pretty ridiculous post. Not sure if serious.

If you are serious--give some facts to back up your opinion.

In my earlier posts I gave FACTS--- actual game and score results from just a small portion of CUSA wins.

Another fact: Currently there are Twelve WKU players on NFL Rosters.
henjet
UD Class: 1900

Post by henjet »

UD is going to raise prices next year anyway, they already said it last year so now for more money you still get to have a terrible schedule, less people coming to games and less people parking, so the brain trust is actually not doing a very good job but again when have they. It's almost like they schedule the easiest games to make the playoffs and they are happy with that but there is even less people at the playoff games and parking last year was a rip off and of course they blamed it on the ncaa. Forget CUSA and MAC nobody wants to come to tues and wednesday night games in november, Go independent or stay in the watered down caa
henjet
UD Class: 1900

Post by henjet »

UD is going to raise prices next year anyway, they already said it last year so now for more money you still get to have a terrible schedule, less people coming to games and less people parking, so the brain trust is actually not doing a very good job but again when have they. It's almost like they schedule the easiest games to make the playoffs and they are happy with that but there is even less people at the playoff games and parking last year was a rip off and of course they blamed it on the ncaa. Forget CUSA and MAC nobody wants to come to tues and wednesday night games in november, Go independent or stay in the watered down caa
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

topstraight wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 pm

In my earlier posts I gave FACTS--- actual game and score results from just a small portion of CUSA wins.

What’s so ridiculous about it? You don’t think the better FCS teams could compete in CUSA?

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

FBS conferences ranked by Massey

CUSA at the bottom only ahead of the pathetic MAC East

The top FCS teams would compete very well in CUSA

In fact Delaware, even after that a loss last week, is still ranked higher than 5 CUSA teams

CUSA is close to equal with the MVFC and Big Sky

So when people say that the quality of play will be so much better in CUSA, I’m here to say not so fast now.

Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:54 am
topstraight wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 pm

What’s so ridiculous about it? You don’t think the better FCS teams could compete in CUSA?

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

FBS conferences ranked by Massey

CUSA at the bottom only ahead of the pathetic MAC East

The top FCS teams would compete very well in CUSA

In fact Delaware, even after that a loss last week, is still ranked higher than 5 CUSA teams

CUSA is close to equal with the MVFC and Big Sky

So when people say that the quality of play will be so much better in CUSA, I’m here to say not so fast now.
Not disputing that Delaware is better than some teams in the CUSA conference and UMass, but something is funky with Massey view in your link. If using CUSA it has Liberty #43 and FBS Independents has UMass #131.

But when going to Massey the normal way it has Liberty #29 and UMass #118. https://masseyratings.com/ranks. This is very strange as doubt there are 14 FCS teams ahead of Liberty.

Regarding money from CFP, the G5 split 102.77M about 60 teams. The FCS split 3.08M for around 134 teams.
https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... ution.aspx