Next opponent: Campbell

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Double G

Re: Next opponent: Campbell

Post by Double G »

Actually the draught did start in 2006. It was not unusual for one side to win several in a row then reverse the situation. After UD wins in 03,04 & 05 Villanova took over the rivalry game and never gave it back except for 2 exceptions. Tubby did not have a losing record against the Wildcats, The others did.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Double G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:29 am Actually the draught did start in 2006. It was not unusual for one side to win several in a row then reverse the situation. After UD wins in 03,04 & 05 Villanova took over the rivalry game and never gave it back except for 2 exceptions. Tubby did not have a losing record against the Wildcats, The others did.
nova dropped football after being a bad football program for a long time.

They came back as a I-AA/FCS program built from scratch. Sure, we got a few wins when they first came back, but once Talley got nova rolling, Tubby succumbed to the same nova losses that our other coaches have taken. 4 out of 5 losses at the end was not just a blip…especially when only Tubby’s semi-final team was able to beat nova. That run was the start of Talley’s domination of Delaware.

Luckily, Talley is gone and nova can’t use their “we’re moving up” advantage…heck, we might be able to use that and our facility upgrades to our advantage now that we are looking at FBS.

Let’s hope Carty can change things around and get our Hens back on the winning side of things. :D
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Double G

Post by Double G »

I guess I'm too young to be aware of the history. All I know is we have been beaten regularly since 2006 and that's all that matters. I didn't look at the coaches or their overall success just the Battle of the Blue. I'm not interested in a seminar just a win this season.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Let’s beat Campbell first and I think we will

Watched the fourth quarter of Richmond Campbell game and Campbell just fell apart
The QB made a lot of mistakes, but can make plays with his mobility

Delaware should be able to Run the ball ... Camels didn’t really look good on run D late in game

Attack over the middle with some medium passing game
Get Brose involved

Short passing game can produce explosive plays to Coach Carty, get ball to speed and let him go on some short quick passing plays

Yarns
Harvin
Marker

Be healthy
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:22 am
Double G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:29 am Actually the draught did start in 2006. It was not unusual for one side to win several in a row then reverse the situation. After UD wins in 03,04 & 05 Villanova took over the rivalry game and never gave it back except for 2 exceptions. Tubby did not have a losing record against the Wildcats, The others did.

They came back as a I-AA/FCS program built from scratch. Sure, we got a few wins when they first came back, but once Talley got nova rolling, Tubby succumbed to the same nova losses that our other coaches have taken. 4 out of 5 losses at the end was not just a blip…especially when only Tubby’s semi-final team was able to beat nova. That run was the start of Talley’s domination of Delaware.

Luckily, Talley is gone and nova can’t use their “we’re moving up” advantage…heck, we might be able to use that and our facility upgrades to our advantage now that we are looking at FBS.

Let’s hope Carty can change things around and get our Hens back on the winning side of things. :D
I remember watching that UD team walk off the field at nova in 1999 and realize we just had a 4 year class of UD graduate without ever having beaten nova. Kind of depressing. I think things started to turn in 1996 with that 27-0 loss at nova by a UD team that was fresh coming off of a conference title and a mini-playoff run the year before, with plenty of guys back for their senior year (Hamlett, Kumpon, Kenny Bailey, etc).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Double G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:43 am I guess I'm too young to be aware of the history. All I know is we have been beaten regularly since 2006 and that's all that matters. I didn't look at the coaches or their overall success just the Battle of the Blue. I'm not interested in a seminar just a win this season.
Ah the young - no interest in history. LOL

For you old timers - a quiz question: What role did the song "Land of a 1000 Dances" have in a long ago UD Nova game?
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Watched the Humps play last week at UNC. They've got talent at wideout and QB. The QB is good with his legs. They seem prone to shooting themselves in the foot with drive killing penalties and miscues. Their return guy is one of the best we'll see all season, so our special teams would do well to keep the ball out of his hands. Defensively, they don't impress me. We should be able to run on them to open up the pass.

Gotta have this one.
Super Chicken
UD Class: 1900

Post by Super Chicken »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:09 am Let’s beat Campbell first and I think we will

Watched the fourth quarter of Richmond Campbell game and Campbell just fell apart

Delaware should be able to Run the ball ... Camels didn’t really look good on run D late in game

Get Brose involved

Short passing game can produce explosive plays to Coach Carty, get ball to speed and let him go on some short quick passing plays

Yarns
Harvin
Marker

Be healthy
Spot on Carib,

Me saintly wife recorded the Spider/Camel game last week trying to get Towson. I watched the whole game. The camels scored quickly on the opening drive. They do have speedy receivers and a young QB that is very mobile with a good arm. After the first drive though, they could only muster 2 field goals. They came out flat and folded like a cheap tent in the second half. During the game, the QB fumbled 3 times while pressured and threw 3 picks with one taken 50 plus to the house by a LB. Their transfer O line is HUGE but not really impressive either in their passing game or the run. Their D looked good early but not so much later. The QBs mobility is really the issue. If we contain him, we win big!

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Super Chicken wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:08 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:09 am Let’s beat Campbell first and I think we will

Get Brose involved

Yarns
Harvin
Marker

Be healthy
Spot on Carib,

Me saintly wife recorded the Spider/Camel game last week trying to get Towson. I watched the whole game. The camels scored quickly on the opening drive. They do have speedy receivers and a young QB that is very mobile with a good arm. After the first drive though, they could only muster 2 field goals. They came out flat and folded like a cheap tent in the second half. During the game, the QB fumbled 3 times while pressured and threw 3 picks with one taken 50 plus to the house by a LB. Their transfer O line is HUGE but not really impressive either in their passing game or the run. Their D looked good early but not so much later. The QBs mobility is really the issue. If we contain him, we win big!

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
We definitely watched the same game and you summed it up perfectly with style and eloquence that I lack Super Pollo…. You have the touch!
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

Double G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:43 am I guess I'm too young to be aware of the history. All I know is we have been beaten regularly since 2006 and that's all that matters. I didn't look at the coaches or their overall success just the Battle of the Blue. I'm not interested in a seminar just a win this season.
We had a 4 game lead in the series after 6 wins in a row ending in 1995. A 2 game lead in the series after the 2006 season. 2008 was the last time the series was tied. We are currently down 11 games, at 22-33-1.

Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Gannonfan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:38 am
Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:22 am

I remember watching that UD team walk off the field at nova in 1999 and realize we just had a 4 year class of UD graduate without ever having beaten nova. Kind of depressing. I think things started to turn in 1996 with that 27-0 loss at nova by a UD team that was fresh coming off of a conference title and a mini-playoff run the year before, with plenty of guys back for their senior year (Hamlett, Kumpon, Kenny Bailey, etc).

Strange. Blue Hens.Com doesn’t list that 1999 game.

Westbrook’s years were a bad thing for us. He was fun to watch…but sheesh…nightmares.

https://bluehens.com/sports/football/op ... iversity/1

1996 UD 0 nova 27
1997 UD 25 nova 35
1998 UD 31 nova 34
1999 not listed…but we lost 51-45
2000 UD 59 nova 42
2001 UD 14 nova 19

5 of 6 losses to nova during that period.

Regardless, Carty can start changing things after an ugly 28-year display against nova. Annual goals should be playoffs and beating stinkin’ nova.

By the way, some guy mentioned the WKU tied football game contracts with basketball games. When we do go FBS, it would be fun to schedule nova and Temple as a football/basketball pairing.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:10 pm Strange. Blue Hens.Com doesn’t list that 1999 game.
It's there, but out of order.
Look between 2012 and 2013.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HensRock wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 pm
Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:10 pm Strange. Blue Hens.Com doesn’t list that 1999 game.
It's there, but out of order.
Look between 2012 and 2013.
:shock:

Holy cow…you are correct. :lol:

wildman
UD Class: 1978

Post by wildman »

HensRock wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:49 pm
We had a 4 game lead in the series after 6 wins in a row ending in 1995. A 2 game lead in the series after the 2006 season. 2008 was the last time the series was tied. We are currently down 11 games, at 22-33-1.

For me, the biggest downturn in the Nova series started with that stupid “Battle of the Blue” trophy. I’ve said it before… If we ever get that f-ing trophy back, someone please drive it to the apex of the Del Memorial Bridge and toss it over the railing.
249*
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

:D :D :D
wildman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:25 am
HensRock wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:49 pm
I agree. I wish we would slap the battle of the Blue in the face by wearing all gold/yellow with traditional helmets!
LOL

For me, the biggest downturn in the Nova series started with that stupid “Battle of the Blue” trophy. I’ve said it before… If we ever get that f-ing trophy back, someone please drive it to the apex of the Del Memorial Bridge and toss it over the railing.