Poll: Do national hopes improve with Saturday loss?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Poll: Would you rather see the Hens ...

Poll ended at Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:46 pm

- Beat Villanova, earn bye as No. 8 seed, but have another potential visit to South Dakota State looming in quarterfinals.
93%
- Lose to Villanova, host playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend, but be bracketed away from S.D. State before championship round.
7%

Total votes: 55

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Poll: Do national hopes improve with Saturday loss?

Post by UD '01 grad »

Does the thought of another Wildcats loss make another potential Bashing at Brookings worth it?

Or could a loss on Saturday actually help the Hens advance further in tournament?

Vote early, vote often (re-voting allowed)!
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Re: Poll: Is it better for national title hopes to lose Saturday?

Post by bluehenbillk »

I don’t think the Hens would be seeded 8 with a win on Saturday- they’d be better than that. If you’re 6 or 7 you avoid SDSU till Frisco…but I don’t think they’re that far yet.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Re: Poll: Do national hopes improve with Saturday loss?

Post by Hens79 »

If the Hens win, they won’t be seeded 8 and behind Albany. They would be number the #1 CAA team and won’t be seeded 8.
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

A win Saturday and we are the 5 or 6 seed, lose and we host a game Thanksgiving weekend. Pretty simple really.
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Beat Villanova!
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Agree with everyone else, the poll question is flawed. A 9-2 UD team, following a win over nova, won't be an 8 seed. Unless something weird happens, likely to be a 5 or 6 seed. Earliest we'd see SDSU would be the semifinals.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Super Chicken
UD Class: 1900

Post by Super Chicken »

Gannonfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:08 pm Agree with everyone else, the poll question is flawed. A 9-2 UD team, following a win over nova, won't be an 8 seed. Unless something weird happens, likely to be a 5 or 6 seed. Earliest we'd see SDSU would be the semifinals.
GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Super Chicken on Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Gannonfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:08 pm Agree with everyone else, the poll question is flawed. A 9-2 UD team, following a win over nova, won't be an 8 seed. Unless something weird happens, likely to be a 5 or 6 seed. Earliest we'd see SDSU would be the semifinals.
The question is a choice between two options, not about what may or may not happen. "Would you rather ....." gives that away.

So far, in these parameters, beating Nova is more important than improving advancement possibilities in the tournament

Vote, vote, vote. Or don't.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Anything that involves Losing to Villanova is a definite NO for me.
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

No brainer for me- neuter the wildcats- worry about the future beginning Saturday evening! Wayne Hanby’76
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Given the constructive parameters of the poll, I’d rather go farther in the playoffs.

However, I’d also rather beat nova and get a seed that avoids SDSU and/or MSU.

Ask Richmond whether they would like to give back their 2008 national championship for regular season wins over nova and JMU. :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 »

Beat Nova don't care about the seeding. This program needs to beat them to show progress. Beating NOVA is step one back to acceptable level of football is step 1, being able to be a MVC team is step 2. Being able to Beat an SDSU or NDSU when they are top dogs is step 3. Would be able get to step 3 is the goal while in FCS. When we leave FCS the Hens will never compete for an NC ever again, lets try and get one over the time we have left.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:08 pm Beat Nova don't care about the seeding. This program needs to beat them to show progress. Beating NOVA is step one back to acceptable level of football is step 1, being able to be a MVC team is step 2. Being able to Beat an SDSU or NDSU when they are top dogs is step 3. Would be able get to step 3 is the goal while in FCS. When we leave FCS the Hens will never compete for an NC ever again, lets try and get one over the time we have left.

All I can say is I want a 180 on how I feel about this game relative to last year. I can’t stand the “clutch defeat from victory” type scenario again. BEAT THEM SUNNY BEACHES!
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

77HEN wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:47 pm
Hensfansince03 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:08 pm Beat Nova don't care about the seeding. This program needs to beat them to show progress. Beating NOVA is step one back to acceptable level of football is step 1, being able to be a MVC team is step 2. Being able to Beat an SDSU or NDSU when they are top dogs is step 3. Would be able get to step 3 is the goal while in FCS. When we leave FCS the Hens will never compete for an NC ever again, lets try and get one over the time we have left.

All I can say is I want a 180 on how I feel about this game relative to last year. I can’t stand the “clutch defeat from victory” type scenario again. BEAT THEM SUNNY BEACHES!
I second that emotion 77!
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

No season is complete without beating Nova.
I don't care how "far" we go in the playoffs before getting beat (unless we don't get beat!). Maybe it looks better on paper to go 3 rounds before hitting SDSU but that is all cosmetic.
Sooner or later, you have to play the best to be the best.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!