Game Thread: Lafayette

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Re: Game Thread: Lafayette

Post by RalphD58 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 am
RalphD58 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:46 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:37 pm

I'm feeling the same, not $10,000 though... 😂
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 😂
Hey 96, post your betting slip where you bet 10K?? The payoff must have been huge! Congrats
I would have put some money on the Hens in the second half via FanDuel! Not 10k 😂... Delaware needs to get online sports betting, it'll be a hokey Bally's app/site, but it would be better than nothing.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:57 am
HENJOHN wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 am It doesn't really matter…
IMO, probably didn’t bear repeating, but if you insist..

Can only imagine the mood here if the team didn’t just pull off an historic comeback. Wow.

I don't insist on anything. This is what the Board is for exchanging thoughts and observations and it happened to be one of them. Not sure if you were there but it was obvious more folks were there and at times very vocal. Proud folks hung around. On to Missoula
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

So, I guess the calls for Carty’s head will wait another week? :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

RalphD58 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:15 am
RalphD58 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:46 pm
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 😂
Hey 96, post your betting slip where you bet 10K?? The payoff must have been huge! Congrats
I would have put some money on the Hens in the second half via FanDuel! Not 10k 😂... Delaware needs to get online sports betting, it'll be a hokey Bally's app/site, but it would be better than nothing.
State govt. source says it could be in place by the Super Bowl, but that it would be one outlet only, not multiple (allowing shopping for better lines). If not then by next year's football season.
CapeHen
UD Class: 2019

Post by CapeHen »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:56 am So, I guess the calls for Carty’s head will wait another week? :lol:
Indeed they can. Lol.

A lot of Delaware fans remind me of Dallas Cowboy fans. One real FCS championship, and five D2 titles. Yet, for some reason we act like there was a dynasty at some point and we should be winning titles year after year, just because we are Delaware.

There’s absolutely no reason we shouldn’t have that expectation. But when you call for a coaches head after less than two years, that is ENTITLED behavior.

What about Delawares football history has warned us that entitlement?
UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad »

bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:15 am

State govt. source says it could be in place by the Super Bowl, but that it would be one outlet only, not multiple (allowing shopping for better lines). If not then by next year's football season.
I don’t think you will be allowed to bet on Delaware games in Delaware. Cross the state line into Maryland / PA
UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad »

^^ Yes, correct.
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Looking back at the game, there were several key plays, some obvious and some maybe not so obvious, that helped us win the game. I’m sure I’ve missed others. Every play is important but some just seem to stand out for me.

1. The importance of getting the TD right before the end of the half cannot be overstated. Without it, going into the half down 28-7, would have been devastating, very deflating. After giving up four turnovers, and struggling on offense and defense, with having to kick to Lafayette to start the second half, I think would have been incredibly hard to overcome. That TD gave the fans, and I’m sure the players and coaches, that flicker of hope and motivation that we were still in this game and only two scores down. Emotionally, I think it was huge and also gave Nick some confidence after a rough start.
2. Stopping Lafayette on that first drive of the second half, after struggling to contain them in the first half, had to give the defense some confidence. You could sense some shift in momentum with that stop even though we didn’t capitalize on it during the next drive.
3. The hard hit and definitive sack by McGowan on the QB gave them a real emotional spark. The defense seemed to play with more passion after that hit.
4. The timely runs by Nick were so vital to keep drives alive and had to increase the offense’s confidence in Nick’s ability to lead them to victory.
5. The open field tackle on Curtis after we took the lead near the end of the game was huge. Curtis had a lot of open space if that tackle hadn’t been made and he may have scored or surely would have gotten them into field goal range. That tackle helped preserve the victory. I forgot which Hen made the tackle but it was a game saver.
6. The hit by Taylor from behind to force the fumble to seal the victory was a great play. He never gave up on the play.
7. Of course, Nick’s throws under duress and into tight coverage to Brose were outstanding. Brose’s ability to catch the ball in traffic was impressive as it has been all season.
Last edited by Jaxhen1 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Good Observations Jax
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

I mean, Maryland, PA and NJ are 15 mins from 90% of the state. It's not like you have to take a day trip to wager on your phone. Get in the car, grab a coffee or a smoke, pull into the first parking lot across the border, and be home before your coffee is gone.

When I feel like being a degenerate, I drive west to the MD state line and pick the most favorable line on Caesars's, MGM, DraftKings, FanDuel, etc etc. Piece of cake. The Vegas Strip may as well be in Federalsburg or Denton.
Last edited by 93BlueHen on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:16 am Looking back at the game, there were several key plays, some obvious and some maybe not so obvious, that helped us win the game. I’m sure I’ve missed others. Every play is important but some just seem to standout for me.

1. The importance of getting the TD right before the end of the half cannot be overstated. Without it, going into the half down 28-7, would have been devastating, very deflating. After giving up four turnovers, and struggling on offense and defense, with having to kick to Lafayette to start the second half, I think would have been incredibly hard to overcome. That TD gave the fans, and I’m sure the players and coaches, that flicker of hope and motivation that we were still in this game and only two scores down. Emotionally, I think it was huge and also gave Nick some confidence after a rough start.
2. Stopping Lafayette on that first drive of the second half, after struggling to contain them in the first half, had to give the defense some confidence. You could sense some shift in momentum with that stop even though we didn’t capitalize on it during the next drive.
3. The hard hit and definitive sack by McGowan on the QB gave them a real emotional spark. The defense seemed to play with more passion after that hit.
4. The timely runs by Nick were so vital to keep drives alive and had to increase the offense’s confidence in Nick to lead them to victory.
5. The open field tackle on Curtis after we took the lead near the end of the game was huge. Curtis had a lot of open space if that tackle hadn’t been made and he may have scored or surely would have gotten them into field goal range. That tackle helped preserve the victory. I forgot which Hen made the tackle but it was a game saver.
6. The hit by Taylor from behind to force the fumble to seal the victory was a great play. He never gave up on the play.
7. Of course, Nick’s throws under duress and in tight coverage to Brose were outstanding. Brose’s ability to catch the ball in traffic was impressive as it has been all season.
Great list. I agree and saw the same. All of them were needed to overcome a horrific 1Q and 28-7 deficit. They just got it done.
UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:23 am

I mean, Maryland, PA and NJ are 15 mins from 90% of the state. It's not like you have to take a day trip to wager on your phone. Get in the car, grab a coffee or a smoke, pull into the first parking lot across the border, and be home before your coffee is gone.

When I feel like being a degenerate, I drive west to the MD state line and pick the most favorable line on Caesars's, MGM, DraftKings, FanDuel, etc etc. Piece of cake. The Vegas Strip may as well be in Federalsburg or Denton.
From Dover, word is you can't just go to State Line Gas and gamble. Have to go all the way to Goldsboro. Not that I would ever be associated with anything like that.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:16 am Looking back at the game, there were several key plays, some obvious and some maybe not so obvious, that helped us win the game. I’m sure I’ve missed others. Every play is important but some just seem to stand out for me.

4. The timely runs by Nick were so vital to keep drives alive and had to increase the offense’s confidence in Nick’s ability to lead them to victory.
7. Of course, Nick’s throws under duress and into tight coverage to Brose were outstanding. Brose’s ability to catch the ball in traffic was impressive as it has been all season.
Nick made a great pass on that TD at the end of the half, after pulling his feet free from a defender’s grasp. The offense opened up after Nick started running positively in the second half, notice how Joe Silver and Quincy ran so well after the D could not focus only on the RB. Jackson punched the ball out of the runner’s hands in the last turnover. More Brose in Missoula. Minicucci is dangerous when sprinting out to the right.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:29 am
93BlueHen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:23 am

From Dover, word is you can't just go to State Line Gas and gamble. Have to go all the way to Goldsboro. Not that I would ever be associated with anything like that.
If your phone pings a Maryland cell tower, you're good. Go in airplane mode and back off until you pick one up.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-