Delaware vs George Washington

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Re: Delaware vs George Washington

Post by Hens79 »

Yikes. 4-24 on 3s won’t get it done.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Well, that sure escalated quickly…ugh. I’m starting to get that “here we go again” feeling in my stomach. And things don’t get any easier with this next stretch of 6 non-conference games. Someone other than Reilly has to be able to hit an outside shot…4 of 24 from three, and Cavan hit 3 of those…yikes!!!
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

I’d like to know what happened to Houser. I saw the first game and he looked really good!

9 minutes today??? What? The guy is shooting 60% from the field and 67% from 3 for the season!

SMH…..maybe is sick.
GVHen87
UD Class: 1987

Post by GVHen87 »

GW shot 78% from the field in the 2nd half. Was GW that good or did the Hens forget how to play defense? Hens also only went to the line 10 times (making 7). Did they play passively / was there any aggressiveness?
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

allteamball wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 pm I’d like to know what happened to Houser. I saw the first game and he looked really good!

9 minutes today??? What? The guy is shooting 60% from the field and 67% from 3 for the season!

SMH…..maybe is sick.
People won't want to hear this............It maybe the Painter effect???

2 sides of the game must be played.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UDJoe

Post by UDJoe »

[quote=GVHen87 post_id=435149 time=1701051818 user_id=27973]
GW shot 78% from the field in the 2nd half. Was GW that good or did the Hens forget how to play defense? Hens also only went to the line 10 times (making 7). Did they play passively / was there any aggressiveness?
[/quote]

UD's defense was a disappointment in the second half. GW was able to muscle in for easy lay-ups and that is going to be a problem when Hens play a team that is just physically stronger (i.e., Ohio U and Xavier coming up). Hens still need more front court size to compete at that level. And Njoku rides the bench at Villanova. Grrr......
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

I didn’t start watching the game until the second half. We were up by 9 and then the meltdown started. I’m not sure what we were doing before that but we couldn’t stop GW’s drives to the basket. We seemed to play passively at that point and our offense got very sloppy. Lackadaisical passes led to turnovers and our 3-point shooting was awful.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

UDJoe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 am
GVHen87 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 pm GW shot 78% from the field in the 2nd half. Was GW that good or did the Hens forget how to play defense? Hens also only went to the line 10 times (making 7). Did they play passively / was there any aggressiveness?
UD's defense was a disappointment in the second half. GW was able to muscle in for easy lay-ups and that is going to be a problem when Hens play a team that is just physically stronger (i.e., Ohio U and Xavier coming up). Hens still need more front court size to compete at that level. And Njoku rides the bench at Villanova. Grrr......
This. From a knowledgeable basketball source.
allteamball

Post by allteamball »

UDPat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:42 am
allteamball wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 pm I’d like to know what happened to Houser. I saw the first game and he looked really good!

SMH…..maybe is sick.

Pat, you might be right. I only saw one game so I don’t have a big enough sample size to judge his defense. I hope he is better than Painter’s defense. Pretty low bar. Lol
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

allteamball wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:25 am

SMH…..maybe is sick.

Pat, you might be right. I only saw one game so I don’t have a big enough sample size to judge his defense. I hope he is better than Painter’s defense. Pretty low bar. Lol
I am not saying it is fact but knowing Coach the way I do, He does value defense regardless of your offensive ability.

You know this All Team but some don't: If you score 15 but your man scores 18, That's not good. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope U had a awesome Thanksgiving!!!
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
allteamball

Post by allteamball »

UDPat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

I am not saying it is fact but knowing Coach the way I do, He does value defense regardless of your offensive ability.

You know this All Team but some don't: If you score 15 but your man scores 18, That's not good. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Happy Holidays to you and the family, Pat. We, as former coaches, know that defense wins!!! I also know that it doesn’t hurt to have a big who can score.. eg Peca Arsic
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

UDPat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

Box Plus/Minus - estimate of points per 100 possessions a player contributes above a league average player.
Davis 5.6
Reilly 2.6
Ray 1.9
Houser 0.7
Drumgoole 0.6
Trent -1.3
Peterson -2.6
Lane -4.7
Baffone -6.2
Jerome -8.1
Emory -20.8
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

It was hard to view as the second half was ugly especially after the successful 1st half effort. The lack of size issue won't go away. I had hoped the Houser pickup would help though many of us posted we needed a true big to kick things up a notch! IMHO, an analogy with our football team not signing Bigger DLs would be appropriate. Bigs were out there in both cases though no none was added.

as to Houser, with time he possesses a sweet old fashioned set shot(almost a one handed push stroke with a longish follow through). Against a man to man D, MI might post him just outside the 3 point line(to pull a legit #5 away from the bucket) and open things up inside for our 1,2,3,and 4 guys to do damage. Houser does not have much of a vertical leap :lol: which limits his effectiveness inside not to mention his proclivity to foul. Applying the thinking that we can't sign a big is incorrect as other mid majors have succeeded. Just check out Charleston in our own CAA. I think Houser can be effective against most of the CAA comp though Moss' absence is definitely a downer. I assume he's got/had game though we've yet to view him hit the court. His bio did look solid.

Hopefully this group can find a way to hold on to leads. We have decent talent with the new group of additions to our roster. I especially like our drummer from Albany! anyway, It's still early so keep the faith. Many games to follow this group's development under MI and staff.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

SMH…..maybe is sick.

So I guess we will have to wait until his third year at UD for Houser to be first team all CAA?
allteamball

Post by allteamball »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:52 pm

So I guess we will have to wait until his third year at UD for Houser to be first team all CAA?
Hope not! He had a stellar freshman year earning all freshman team honors in southern conference. I truly need to see more of him to give a better assessment. Lord know we need a big man.