I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by bluehenbillk »

Sources: Conference USA is expected to Delaware as a new member for the 2025-26 season. The sides have been in talks and a decision is expected to be formalized in the upcoming days.

Pete Thamel tweets this out this AM
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Re: I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by UD '01 grad »

Historic announcement. Congrats Chrissi and UD officials!
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Post by UDFootballFan »

Is this a money grab? Or us trying to start a rivalry with Sam Houston.

Also, can we competitive in any sports? Football is going to be a top 5 team at best in conference
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

If that timeline is correct you have to wonder how it works. Football next year is a lame duck, they either stay FCS or call it an off-the -clock transition year. Eligible for bowl game in 2027.

The Olympic sports, starting immediately with winter sports currently playing can’t play in CAA tournaments or get auto bids for NCAA play the rest of this year and next…. Unless it’s a sport that CUSA doesn’t sponsor and they move to a new home for next fall.

The Keeler game assuming he stays there will be exciting
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Eligible for bowl game in 2027. Jim Mora would say.... dont talk about a Bowl game. Are you kidding me? Bowl game? Im just hoping we can win a game, another game!
Los Angeles Harballers
smith79jordan
UD Class: 1900

Post by smith79jordan »

Thrilled to see the Blue Hens will be joining us! Allow me to be the first to congratulate and welcome you to our league. I can't wait for the Battle of the Chickens to be an annual game!
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

The lame duck year for football would, I imagine, now be used to recruit additional FBS players starting immediately.
No need to imply or infer to recruits, just telling them we will be FBS.
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

If true, this has ended my affiliation with the UD football program in all ways, except as a “long distance” fan. UD - please remove me from all your emails; I no longer have any desire to attend BHTC and support something I do not believe in; won’t need season tickets (I believe in spite of the sellout crowds- I will still be able to purchase single game tickets as needed- maybe a Tuesday or Thursday night. Buy an end zone ticket and find an empty seat in Section C.)
Congratulations to all of those who have been waiting for this announcement. I sincerely hope that this turns out great for the fans, and more importantly, the football program. This is just not my cup of tea. Onward and upward. Wayne Hanby
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

Per Brett McMurphy -

Delaware moving from FCS to FBS & join Conference USA in 2025-26 school year, sources told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Delaware would be 1st FCS school required to pay $5 million application fee to move up to FBS (previously was $5,000)
hens96

Post by hens96 »

This is amazing
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:46 am If that timeline is correct you have to wonder how it works. Football next year is a lame duck, they either stay FCS or call it an off-the -clock transition year. Eligible for bowl game in 2027.

The Olympic sports, starting immediately with winter sports currently playing can’t play in CAA tournaments or get auto bids for NCAA play the rest of this year and next…. Unless it’s a sport that CUSA doesn’t sponsor and they move to a new home for next fall.

The Keeler game assuming he stays there will be exciting
I feel for all of those athletes and coaches on teams that will not be able to have championships to work towards. They just get screwed. That's the price UD has to pay, but collegiate careers are all most of those athletes will have and we should expect some individual departures (both players and coaches).
chapelstwasted
UD Class: 1987

Post by chapelstwasted »

Delaware is trending on Twitter. Too bad all teams will be banned from CAA tournaments. Someone has a big mouth.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Don’t know what to think. The CAA made a joke of itself in many ways. And I beleive that UD was a big part of making the CAA a joke. Now UD has to flee because folks just aren’t buying into the new arrangement. There a lot of good programs in FCS and the playoffs can be exciting with the single elimination format. Too bad UD had to contribute to the CAA demise (speculation on my part) instead of pushing for a high quality athletic conference.

What happens with the joke games with DSU now? In Dover??
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Maddog@76 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am If true, this has ended my affiliation with the UD football program in all ways, except as a “long distance” fan. UD - please remove me from all your emails; I no longer have any desire to attend BHTC and support something I do not believe in; won’t need season tickets (I believe in spite of the sellout crowds- I will still be able to purchase single game tickets as needed- maybe a Tuesday or Thursday night. Buy an end zone ticket and find an empty seat in Section C.)
Congratulations to all of those who have been waiting for this announcement. I sincerely hope that this turns out great for the fans, and more importantly, the football program. This is just not my cup of tea. Onward and upward. Wayne Hanby
Yikes Wayne…adapt or die as the expression goes. This decision is 15 years overdue, and quite frankly had to happen for UD Athletics to move into the 21st century. Hope you change your mind as this is an exciting time to be an f’in Blue Hen!!!
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

Can we still participate in FCS playoffs in 2024?
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023