UD to CUSA

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: UD to CUSA

Post by Info Hound »

DaveB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:08 pm
Gannonfan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:55 am The ESPN story from Thamel says that UD basketball would be eligible for the postseason in both 2023-24 and 2024-25 after a recent bylaw change in the CAA. Does that mean UD can play in the CAA tourney during some or all of this transition?
If this is true, cant wait to read the reactions from the jmu people. It will be glorious.
Best reaction of the day! :D
#JUST WIN
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Gannonfan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:55 am The ESPN story from Thamel says that UD basketball would be eligible for the postseason in both 2023-24 and 2024-25 after a recent bylaw change in the CAA. Does that mean UD can play in the CAA tourney during some or all of this transition?
If this is true, cant wait to read the reactions from the jmu people. It will be glorious.
The CAA votes on this. If every other school that has left was ineligible to participate in the conference tournament it’s unwise to bet UD to be treated any different.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Please reread what was quoted.
#JUST WIN
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:41 pm
The CAA votes on this. If every other school that has left was ineligible to participate in the conference tournament it’s unwise to bet UD to be treated any different.
There was a CAA rule change to the bylaws after JMU left. UD basketball can compete in the CAA Torny until we go to Conference USA. I think many of the CAA schools just wanted to stick it to JMU :lol:
UDEL Fear the Bird

Conference USA is going to be fantastic for UD basketball compared to the CAA in terms of competition. The CAA is currently ranked 25th in conference RPI compared to Conference USA which is 13th.
UDEL Fear the Bird

DaveB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 pm
allteamball wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am
gonzo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:20 am

Football drives the bus. This was purely a football move to go to a FBS conference and the A10 doesn't have football.
There are plenty of teams that play basketball in the A-10 and play football in FBS. It can be done. I feel basketball is always the stepchild at UD.
A10 is basketball first…look at all recent additions. They don’t want a basketball program that’s 2nd fiddle to FB.

Secondly, I doubt CONF USA would have taken IUD as football only
Conference USA is much better than CAA basketball and closer to A10 level.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

UDEL Fear the Bird wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:18 pm
There was a CAA rule change to the bylaws after JMU left. UD basketball can compete in the CAA Torny until we go to Conference USA. I think many of the CAA schools just wanted to stick it to JMU :lol:
That’s great news if true, good move for student athletes
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

allteamball wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 amThere are plenty of teams that play basketball in the A-10 and play football in FBS. It can be done. I feel basketball is always the stepchild at UD.
That is simply not accurate, sir. UMass is the only A-10 club with an FBS football team...and that may not be for much longer. Follow the news closely in the coming weeks.

As others have stated, CUSA is a significant upgrade from the CAA on both sides of the hoops ledger. The A-10 was not an option.
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm
allteamball wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 amThere are plenty of teams that play basketball in the A-10 and play football in FBS. It can be done. I feel basketball is always the stepchild at UD.
That is simply not accurate, sir. UMass is the only A-10 club with an FBS football team...and that may not be for much longer. Follow the news closely in the coming weeks.

As others have stated, CUSA is a significant upgrade from the CAA on both sides of the hoops ledger. The A-10 was not an option.
Ok, I stand corrected. There is ONE. I’m probably still bitter that we didn’t join the A-10 when we had the chance. Would have loved to have local basketball rivalries, not teams scattered across the U.S.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

allteamball wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:26 pmI’m probably still bitter that we didn’t join the A-10 when we had the chance. Would have loved to have local basketball rivalries, not teams scattered across the U.S.
I'm with you on the A-10 debacle. Should have made that move 25 years ago, but that's water under the bridge. So much has changed since then in the NCAA.

I do wonder if UD will end up with affiliate A-10 membership for the sports CUSA doesn't offer?
CapeHen
UD Class: 2019

Post by CapeHen »

Overall, this is a better hoops conference. Bigger stadiums, better teams, more excitement in general for C-USA hoops vs. CAA (although, nobody is going to be losing their minds to watch UD vs. Kennesaw State).

Yes, the A-10 would have been awesome from a basketball standpoint. But recruits are going to me much more interested in getting to play in the C-USA, fly to Florida, Texas, and New Mexico as opposed to riding busses to Long Island or North Carolina.

Regional rivalries will be missed. It’s too bad that we won’t be able to drive to Philly and watch UD play Drexel, same goes for Towson. and it’s a shame that no C-USA fanbases will be close enough to catch a game at the Bob.

But overall, this is a good thing. Better competition, better recruits, hopefully more excitement among the students Maybe they’ll actually come to a few games!
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

I imagine Towson, Drexel, Hofstra will be part of the Hens OOC schedule moving forward
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

good point- clearly an obvious scheduling move to retain past "rivalries" as well as Philly schools like Villanova, Temple, and NJ schools like Rutgers and possibly Monmouth( my bro presently resides in that county) sounds wonderful and exciting 8) :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
drexeldragons10
UD Class: 1900

Post by drexeldragons10 »

DaveB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:00 pm I imagine Towson, Drexel, Hofstra will be part of the Hens OOC schedule moving forward
I hope so too (at least for mens and womens basketball and lacrosse). Congrats and best of luck in CUSA
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »