Stadium Expansion & New Football Facility

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Re: Stadium Expansion & New Football Facility

Post by tenn hen »

77HEN wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:58 am
Info Hound wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:55 am We did not realize how poor the seating was in Delaware Stadium until the west stands were redone.

Chairbacks, cup holders, wider aisles, padded seats in the Club section, etc. Even the bench seating on the end sections is roomier and better than before.

It will continue to be difficult to sell season tickets in the east stands until something is done there. As in our personal lives, too bad that budgets enter into our decisions. Ha!
Those east stands aren’t too bad later in the season when the sun shines.
is the glass half full? win and you'll fill the seats especially if solid competition on both sides of the ball.
I'll still vote to "shoe the stadium" before any east stands work.
Our PR should be focused on LOOKS like bigger time capacity, playing a decent schedule, and Joe Flacco!
I'd hope doubling the press box will be considered as well down the road= that's part of LOOKS
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

CastleHen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:21 am "If you build it....they will come"...
Do what they did for NEZ seating at App State and your wish will come true.

NEZ Club Seats
$25,000+ qualifying major philanthropic capital commitment gift
$1,000 per seat qualifying one-time deposit
$1,000 per seat annual cost (includes season ticket price)
$1,500+ minimum Yosef Club annual membership
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

I agree with the horseshoe concept. Leave the east stands until they can be demolished and marry the new east stands to the NEZ. East stands should have a legit club level up top too. This way if you want to sit low and have club access, choose the west stands. If you want to sit high and have club access, choose the east stands. Best of both worlds.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

jd of de wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:00 am
CastleHen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:21 am "If you build it....they will come"...
Do what they did for NEZ seating at App State and your wish will come true.

NEZ Club Seats
$25,000+ qualifying major philanthropic capital commitment gift
$1,000 per seat qualifying one-time deposit
$1,000 per seat annual cost (includes season ticket price)
$1,500+ minimum Yosef Club annual membership
Are you implying that Blue Hens fans and local businesses from the relatively wealthier mid Atlantic region can’t or won’t pay for football what fans in Appalachia will pay for G5 football in a state with 4 ACC teams?

Anyway, UD is going to have to, or really should, do some kind of real,”club seating” eventually.

Really not trying to be argumentative. But blaming it on the fans, especially after decades of a small minded approach to athletics is not very compelling. I apologize if that is not what you are implying.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Hens79 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:06 amReally not trying to be argumentative. But blaming it on the fans, especially after decades of a small minded approach to athletics is not very compelling. I apologize if that is not what you are implying.
Whether the intention or not or this particular poster, those of us who've been around the university long enough and paid close enough attention recognize the popular blame game school officials have practiced for decades to cover up their own intransigence and ineptitude. I've never bought the strawman argument for a second. The coaches, the athletes, and the boosters don't share a scintilla of blame for the decades of heel-dragging and weak swings. The UD board of trustees has always been Blue Hen athletics' own worst enemy by far. I hope and think they might have finally turned a corner, but we'll see. The proof will be demonstrated in action over the longer term. They'll get the support from the university community that they deserve, which has always been the case.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:28 am
Hens79 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:06 amReally not trying to be argumentative. But blaming it on the fans, especially after decades of a small minded approach to athletics is not very compelling. I apologize if that is not what you are implying.
Whether the intention or not or this particular poster, those of us who've been around the university long enough and paid close enough attention recognize the popular blame game school officials have practiced for decades to cover up their own intransigence and ineptitude. I've never bought the strawman argument for a second. The coaches, the athletes, and the boosters don't share a scintilla of blame for the decades of heel-dragging and weak swings. The UD board of trustees has always been Blue Hen athletics' own worst enemy by far. I hope and think they might have finally turned a corner, but we'll see. The proof will be demonstrated in action over the longer term. They'll get the support from the university community that they deserve, which has always been the case.
UD board of trustees has always been Blue Hen athletics' own worst enemy by far.

As a season ticket holder from Sussex County in the late 80s, I can tell you that carloads from down south drove for 1 1/2 hours for every home game, got there early for parking and tailgating and then felt like we were no longer needed. Those days the only empty seats were in the east grandstands on the very top corners. sad
Los Angeles Harballers
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

Wouldn’t count on anything built for a long while according to this article this year was some big financial trouble seems to me like they must be mismanaging some money because I don’t see how they could constantly be in financial woe. But either way, unless it’s really funded by donations I don’t see anything happening and from what I hear we don’t have many donations and they’re still trying to raise the money just to leave the CAA. https://udreview.com/university-freezes ... -pressure/?
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

bluehens2005 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 pm
Wouldn’t count on anything built for a long while according to this article this year was some big financial trouble seems to me like they must be mismanaging some money because I don’t see how they could constantly be in financial woe. But either way, unless it’s really funded by donations I don’t see anything happening and from what I hear we don’t have many donations and they’re still trying to raise the money just to leave the CAA. https://udreview.com/university-freezes ... -pressure/?
big financial trouble .... No way, if so, pathetic
Los Angeles Harballers
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

The stories I, and many, many others, could tell.

As in most cases, it isn’t a revenue problem…

The answer, of course, comes down to the university’s spending. As many have said, show me what you spend your money on and I will tell you your priorities.

I will say, THANK GOODNESS the new engineering building is going to be completed soon. Happy UD hasn’t screwed that up (unfortunately, there is still time for them to go cheap on the details).

Expect to see UD raising tuition and admitting larger numbers of students each year (with no place to house the new undergraduates) in order to help balance the budget.

Maybe they will open an Elkton campus. :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Cluck U wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:12 pm

The answer, of course, comes down to the university’s spending. As many have said, show me what you spend your money on and I will tell you your priorities.

I will say, THANK GOODNESS the new engineering building is going to be completed soon. Happy UD hasn’t screwed that up (unfortunately, there is still time for them to go cheap on the details).

Expect to see UD raising tuition and admitting larger numbers of students each year (with no place to house the new undergraduates) in order to help balance the budget.

Cluck, I heard somebody left 1 billion ¥ in a litter box out in the garage

All is well on the western front
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Wow, this seems to be a 180 from all the proud bluster in announcing the move to FBS. There must be lots of internal hand wringing now. Somebody loan us a dime, please. Carib has some good thoughts on this.

OT, I’ll enjoy my nice chairback seat at the LAX game tomorrow.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

77HEN wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:58 am
Info Hound wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:55 am We did not realize how poor the seating was in Delaware Stadium until the west stands were redone.

Chairbacks, cup holders, wider aisles, padded seats in the Club section, etc. Even the bench seating on the end sections is roomier and better than before.

It will continue to be difficult to sell season tickets in the east stands until something is done there. As in our personal lives, too bad that budgets enter into our decisions. Ha!
Those east stands aren’t too bad later in the season when the sun shines.
+1 However, I know from personal experience that you get roasted sitting in the East Stands early in the season except for night games. From a temperature comfort standpoint, the East Stands used to the best many seasons ago when almost all games from August to early October were night games starting at 7:00 PM, most October games kicked-off 3:00-3:30 PM, and November games from Noon to 1:30 PM. Toward my later tenure in the East Stands, UD switched to rarely playing night games in August thru early Oct and when they did the start times for these supposed "night" games were moved up from the former start time of 7:00 PM to 6:00 PM with the result that including tailgating you spent much more time in the hot sun.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Cluck U wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:12 pm

(

Well, if UD admits more students, Newark City Council can simply tax them (but have UD collect that tax) and fix its budget problem (but revenue apparently isn't the problem there either). A win-win proposal. BTW, where do I send my donation to the Student Legal Defense Fund? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

Regarding Scot Swift, I played 1971 - 1974, and I do not remember him. He possibly played of Frosh team in 1971!
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

Ramblinrec74 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:32 am Regarding Scot Swift, I played 1971 - 1974, and I do not remember him. He possibly played of Frosh team in 1971!
He's not on the official UD roster for 1971,1972 or 1973. I remember there was a Frosh team so that may be a possibility. Technically he would have been a sophmore after having spent a year in Hawaii. Was the Frosh team a landing point for transfers?