Uniform question?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Uniform question?

Post by dovetail »

As we transition to Big Boy football, will we finally see player names on the back of jerseys? I haven't looked closely but isn't this somewhat the norm in FBS football?
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: Uniform question?

Post by dchen »

dovetail wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:42 pm As we transition to Big Boy football, will we finally see player names on the back of jerseys? I haven't looked closely but isn't this somewhat the norm in FBS football?
Should we also consider a helmet design change. But maybe only former players should decide that one. Our era of Little Michigan is over. I would also reconsider using Youdee woodpecker as our primary athletic logo. I always liked the old English “D” that Tubby wore on his hat. He was probably also evoking the Detroit Tigers.
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

dchen wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:53 pm
dovetail wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:42 pm As we transition to Big Boy football, will we finally see player names on the back of jerseys? I haven't looked closely but isn't this somewhat the norm in FBS football?
Should we also consider a helmet design change.
no. we shouldn't.
beancounter
UD Class: 1976

Post by beancounter »

Change helmet design? Oh no, hell no!!!
Proud to be a f@&king Blue Hen!
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Never change the helmet design. Alternate color schemes? Absolutely!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

We’ve been using the winged helmet design for more than 70 years. It’s ours as much ours as Michigan or Princeton. That said, why not add the old English “D” like we did for a few games back in the mid-1960s?

If we ever played the team from Ann Arbor, we could go with a black on black winged helmet.

Sure, add the names to the jerseys. Why not?

I’m all for getting rid of YouDee as a primary logo. An updated version of Dick is long overdue.
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

These would look great as an alternate helmet.
Screenshot_20231228_223642_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231228_223642_YouTube.jpg (110.22 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

I recall when Maine showed up in Delaware Stadium for the first time in the early 70s, they had a blue and white version of the helmet. Courtesy of Nelson and Tubby as their one time coaches in the early 50s
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

RalphD58 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:41 pm These would look great as an alternate helmet.

Screenshot_20231228_223642_YouTube.jpg
Wow. I'd love to see this on the Blue Hens next season
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

It never ceases to amaze me how many want to just throw away almost 75 years of tradition to follow the new shiny things. If anything, I would like to go BACK to the traditional deeper blue and gold, rather than the bright blue and yellow.

Sally the old fuddy duddy in RI
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

I was talking about a one game Alternate uniform. Still have the Winged look on Ralphs option. Like it or not kids today Love these types of unis and helmet options
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:48 pm We’ve been using the winged helmet design for more than 70 years. It’s ours as much ours as Michigan or Princeton. That said, why not add the old English “D” like we did for a few games back in the mid-1960s?

If we ever played the team from Ann Arbor, we could go with a black on black winged helmet.

Sure, add the names to the jerseys. Why not?

I’m all for getting rid of YouDee as a primary logo. An updated version of Dick is long overdue.

I can barely read the numbers with the “script” at times currently being used on the jersey, now a name too! 🤣
#JustWinBaby
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

HENJOHN wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am I was talking about a one game Alternate uniform. Still have the Winged look on Ralphs option. Like it or not kids today Love these types of unis and helmet options
Exactly. The traditional helmet is great and I actually like that they have the correct colors. The only reason we had navy blue back in the day was due to inferior paint. The lighter blue over the gold would turn a greenish hue and didn't adhere well. This is what was told to me by Wayne Jarrell, the old equipment manager @ UD. Most players didn't like that we had three different colors of blue between the helmet, home jersey and ridiculously faded blue stripe on the pants. Tubby met with seniors prior to the 97 year and we wanted the stripe gone and Tubby wanted team socks. It was a good trade in my opinion.
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

That helmet design & colors are a part of the UD Tradition. To see that helmet, automatically equates to the name Fightin Blue Hens! We must never take that part of our tradition away!
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Embrace the tradition. Be Alabama, not Oregon.