Hofstra

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
finpxz1

Re: Hofstra

Post by finpxz1 »

Hens79 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:43 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:22 pm They currently rank 137th for team 3-point percentage. Not great but not awful. Actually better than I would have thought. Maybe if Bethea ever gets healthy, that will help us get in the top 100???
It’s just not only the percentage. It’s the number made per game too. Bethea only made 35 in 28 games last year, if he ever plays this year. And Houser has only made 17 in 15 games this year. Also, for much of the game the Hens have Ray, Trent and Lane on the court at the same time leaving Davis as the second best three point shooter with 14 in 14 games. There is no other way to explain it. This team is not a good three point shooting team.
Excellent point 79…looking at 3-pointers made per game, we are tied for 204th at 7.3 made per game. That isn’t nearly as positive of a story.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Great point. But…
UD 3 point shots made this year, 109. Opponents, 110.
More would be fantastic but defense is doing a solid job.

Hofstra game:
Tyler Thomas 4 of 15 from the 3 for the Pride
Cavan Reilly 3 of 8
Thomas makes more threes but much less efficient.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

mpwerrell wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:42 am Great point. But…
UD 3 point shots made this year, 109. Opponents, 110.
More would be fantastic but defense is doing a solid job.

Hofstra game:
Tyler Thomas 4 of 15 from the 3 for the Pride
Cavan Reilly 3 of 8
Thomas makes more threes but much less efficient.
A couple of points.

3 point shooting and playing good defense are almost mutually exclusive. And the Hens lost to Hofstra, again.

Are you trying to make the case UD is not a poor shooting, or at least below average 3 point shooting team? That is all I am saying. It is almost self evident.

Is it possible to have a successful season (like play for a CAA championship) with this level of 3 point shooting? Maybe? But it won’t be easy. Better and more 3 point shooting would sure help.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Really? I was not aware that 3 point shooting and defense are almost mutually exclusive :shock: :)

Not trying to make any point…just pointing out some statistical facts. I’ll leave the expert analysis to others.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

mpwerrell wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:23 am Really? I was not aware that 3 point shooting and defense are almost mutually exclusive :shock: :)

Not trying to make any point…just pointing out some statistical facts. I’ll leave the expert analysis to others.
I had something typed but didn't send, as you said, the experts have spoken. I do think there is more to the issues than just to keep chucking them from the cheap seats whether we shoot better or not.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Udforever1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:01 pm
Double G wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:30 pm
Udforever1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:26 pm

You not follow the lacrosse team?
Did they find a home for them yet?
Not yet, UDSB. Wait no, this is Double G. Double G, I haven’t heard anything, though I imagine they’ll be an attractive associate member for any conference, just like FH.
A mug shot of Double G and UDSB
Chang and Eng Buckner
Chang and Eng Buckner
096525F3-522A-426D-B46E-B97A271B4F28.jpeg (257.53 KiB) Viewed 882 times
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:17 pm
Udforever1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:01 pm
Double G wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:30 pm

Did they find a home for them yet?
Not yet, UDSB. Wait no, this is Double G. Double G, I haven’t heard anything, though I imagine they’ll be an attractive associate member for any conference, just like FH.
A mug shot of Double G and UDSB 096525F3-522A-426D-B46E-B97A271B4F28.jpeg

There is a bit of James Colburn in those guys.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

UDPat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:37 am
mpwerrell wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:23 am Really? I was not aware that 3 point shooting and defense are almost mutually exclusive :shock: :)

I had something typed but didn't send, as you said, the experts have spoken. I do think there is more to the issues than just to keep chucking them from the cheap seats whether we shoot better or not.
MP, It's more of the passive aggressive behavior that polluted the football boards. Now some of better BBall posters seem to be MIA??? That's not good. Part of my problem is I will just folks they are wrong. No pussyfooting around from me.

We are NOT a good 3 pt shooting team!!! But as far as our issues go, There are way more pressing needs!!!! That's about 15 on the list. You give up 88 points and the "Experts" are telling us our 3 pt shooting isn't good enough and we should sacrifice more defense for more offense. The only sacrifice left on defense is to let the other team score. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8-1 and 1-5 Experts please ignoring the real issues

MP, Please keep posting
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

UDPat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:11 am

MP, It's more of the passive aggressive behavior that polluted the football boards. Now some of better BBall posters seem to be MIA??? That's not good. Part of my problem is I will just folks they are wrong. No pussyfooting around from me.

We are NOT a good 3 pt shooting team!!! But as far as our issues go, There are way more pressing needs!!!! That's about 15 on the list. You give up 88 points and the "Experts" are telling us our 3 pt shooting isn't good enough and we should sacrifice more defense for more offense. The only sacrifice left on defense is to let the other team score. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MP, Please keep posting
Not everything is black and white Pat. There are a number of issues with this team that in my opinion may prevent us from being an elite CAA team this season. Better half-court defense, rebounding, 3-point shooting, mental and physical toughness, long periods of scoring droughts, lack of size and depth in the post, etc, etc, etc. I think some of the frustration is coming from the fact that MI is in year 8 and we still seem to have a number of missing pieces. Really hoping we find a path through, but I’m personally highly doubtful.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

agree with you Fin. I may be wrong but our D seems to let our opponent's 3pt guys often go uncovered which helps them relax, hold their form better, and jab those daggers.. How the season will play out will be the fun part? the CAA provides our best hope to at least make a decent showing and manage to make it into the Big Dance. Realistically it will be tough to accomplish that goal, but that's why the season is so lengthy!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Fin, not arguing at all but are we good at anything? You’ve listed 7 issues plus a bunch of “etc’s”. How have we won any games?
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

finpxz1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:24 am
UDPat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:11 am

MP, Please keep posting
Not everything is black and white Pat. There are a number of issues with this team that in my opinion may prevent us from being an elite CAA team this season. Better half-court defense, rebounding, 3-point shooting, mental and physical toughness, long periods of scoring droughts, lack of size and depth in the post, etc, etc, etc. I think some of the frustration is coming from the fact that MI is in year 8 and we still seem to have a number of missing pieces. Really hoping we find a path through, but I’m personally highly doubtful.
You are correct, there are a few issues and I will tell you, no pussyfooting around, 3pt. it is far from the biggest issue. And you proved my point by all you list. Anybody who says a team should sacrifice more defense for offense when they score 80 points, is clearly a dope who knows nothing about basketball. If that's your take, you are a dope!!! But that was not directed at you specifically.

8-1 and 1-5 That's pretty close to black and white!!!! More so than what some of the "Experts" are saying. :shock: :shock: :shock:
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Basketball analysis according to King Pat…me right, you wrong…err!!!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

finpxz1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:48 am Basketball analysis according to King Pat…me right, you wrong…err!!!
Geez, is it that time of the month?

I agreed with a lot of what you said.

But yes, if you think 3 point shooting is the biggest issue, Than yep, I'm right and you're wrong!!!!!! Your words not mine!!!!!!
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Are Pat and Henzone the same person???