Future of CAA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Future of CAA

Post by Info Hound »

Interesting item in the Richmond paper regarding UR and W&M:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/sch ... user-share

If it won't open, a 6 month subscription is only $1.
#JUST WIN
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: Future of CAA

Post by Cluck U »

Good article. Thanks for posting.

I have local friends that are W&M, nova and Richmond grads...they join me for the occasional UD game. They don't talk seriously about football...but they are definitely confused about what is happening to the conference and they don't recognize any of the newer opponents. In past conversations, the Patriot has been mentioned. My guess is that subject will come up even more in our future conversations.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Yes thanks Russ. The article also popped up in my news feed
The Patriot would be a perfect fit for the three schools as they are very conscious about “peer schools”. But as the article mentions W&M would probably need to join as an all sports participant where Richmond and Nofun would only be football affiliates.
If all the schools joined, they would consistently dominate in football.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

mpwerrell wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:43 am Yes thanks Russ. The article also popped up in my news feed
The Patriot would be a perfect fit for the three schools as they are very conscious about “peer schools”. But as the article mentions W&M would probably need to join as an all sports participant where Richmond and Nofun would only be football affiliates.
Much change ahead!
#JUST WIN
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

This would be a good move for W&M, Richmond and Nova. It's probably a move they should have made a long time ago. There's likely to be even more changes ahead for the remaining CAA football schools. I don't think these changes are ultimately going to help schools along the eastern seaboard compete more favorably with their western FCS counterparts.

Very thankful UD is not going to be part of the messy situation that's about to ensue.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

It certainly reads like all 3 schools are preparing their fan bases for change and not of the moving up variety.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

The future of the Coastal AA belongs to NC A&T, Hampton, Campbell, Monmouth and Bryant.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

jd of de wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:19 pm It certainly reads like all 3 schools are preparing their fan bases for change and not of the moving up variety.
For sure. W&M and UR will continue their move down the college football totem poll. But at least they will be among their “peers”.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

I fully expect the Bull Sitter to visit here and tell us how the Griffins move down to the Patriot Legion will be akin and maybe even better overall than Delaware's move to Conference USA. That chap's gotta be a used car salesman or something.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:46 pm I fully expect the Bull Sitter to visit here and tell us how the Griffins move down to the Patriot Legion will be akin and maybe even better overall than Delaware's move to Conference USA. That chap's gotta be a used car salesman or something.
"Bull Sitter"!

Stop it, you're killing me!
#JUST WIN
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Info Hound wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 am
mpwerrell wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:43 am Yes thanks Russ. The article also popped up in my news feed
Much change ahead!
Amen!

Another $80 million for Maine from the Alfond Foundation...

https://goblackbears.com/news/2024/1/9/ ... -gift.aspx

This brings total recent and future investment in UMaine athletic facilities to $208 million. Not Big Ten/SEC level....but certainly not chump change either. Must be in the ballpark of facility investments for Delaware, no? I'm not sure what Maine's seat at the D1 table will look like in the future...but this definitely helps them "stay in the game" for now. I wonder what W&M, Richmond and Villanova's spending on their athletic facilities looks like from here on out?
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:46 pm I fully expect the Bull Sitter to visit here and tell us how the Griffins move down to the Patriot Legion will be akin and maybe even better overall than Delaware's move to Conference USA. That chap's gotta be a used car salesman or something.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:18 pmThis brings total recent and future investment in UMaine athletic facilities to $208 million. Not Big Ten/SEC level....but certainly not chump change either.
Thanks for that link. Looks like much needed improvements are in store for your facilities. Should put Maine in line with league competition. Good luck.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

See ya CAA... ✌🏻

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:18 pm
Much change ahead!
Amen!

Another $80 million for Maine from the Alfond Foundation...

https://goblackbears.com/news/2024/1/9/ ... -gift.aspx

This brings total recent and future investment in UMaine athletic facilities to $208 million. Not Big Ten/SEC level....but certainly not chump change either. Must be in the ballpark of facility investments for Delaware, no? I'm not sure what Maine's seat at the D1 table will look like in the future...but this definitely helps them "stay in the game" for now. I wonder what W&M, Richmond and Villanova's spending on their athletic facilities looks like from here on out?
[/quote]

From DC Hen:

Sounds great for Maine. Alfond & Morse are like Maine’s Carpenter family. Maine, UNH, URI, Bryant, Albany, Stony Brook might be well served to have America East add football. That would give them a more NE oriented conference, mostly state universities.