Fun Football Trivia

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
finpxz1

Fun Football Trivia

Post by finpxz1 »

Watching the AFC Championship game got me thinking of some fun UD Football trivia as we get ready to make the transition to FBS Football in CUSA. Without cheating (no google), when was the last time a Division I-A team visited Delaware Stadium, and what was the result (final score)?
finpxz1

Re: Fun Football Trivia

Post by finpxz1 »

And another one...when was the last time Delaware hosted two I-A teams in Delaware Stadium in the same season? And what was the result of both games???
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

finpxz1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:43 pm Watching the AFC Championship game got me thinking of some fun UD Football trivia as we get ready to make the transition to FBS Football in CUSA. Without cheating (no google), when was the last time a Division I-A team visited Delaware Stadium, and what was the result (final score)?
Navy in the early 90s. Score was something like 12-10 as Navy missed a last second FG. Kicker’s name was Shenk.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

dchen wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:34 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:43 pm Watching the AFC Championship game got me thinking of some fun UD Football trivia as we get ready to make the transition to FBS Football in CUSA. Without cheating (no google), when was the last time a Division I-A team visited Delaware Stadium, and what was the result (final score)?
Navy in the early 90s. Score was something like 12-10 as Navy missed a last second FG. Kicker’s name was Shenk.
Close...you got the team but not the year. And score was close but not right on...Didn't even take a stab at the 2nd question??? :D
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

I was at that last Navy game at the tub, I think it was 1989 and navy missed I believe was a 27 yd FG in the final seconds and the hens won 10-9.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Brookside kid hen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:01 am I was at that last Navy game at the tub, I think it was 1989 and navy missed I believe was a 27 yd FG in the final seconds and the hens won 10-9.
Bingo…you nailed it. 1989 with the final score being 10 to 9 on a short missed FG by the Mids at the end of the game.

How about the 2nd question? When was the last time we hosted two I-A teams in the same season? I can’t wait for FBS football to return to the Tub!!!
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:22 am
Brookside kid hen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:01 am I was at that last Navy game at the tub, I think it was 1989 and navy missed I believe was a 27 yd FG in the final seconds and the hens won 10-9.
Bingo…you nailed it. 1989 with the final score being 10 to 9 on a short missed FG by the Mids at the end of the game.

How about the 2nd question? When was the last time we hosted two I-A teams in the same season? I can’t wait for FBS football to return to the Tub!!!
Temple and Navy in 1985 or 1986.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:24 am
finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:22 am

Temple and Navy in 1985 or 1986.
You got the teams…but need to pick a year…LOL. I’ll give it to you, though. In 1985 we beat both Navy 16 to 13, and Temple 17 to 10…both games at the Tub.
TimD
UD Class: 1989

Post by TimD »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 am You got the teams…but need to pick a year…LOL. I’ll give it to you, though. In 1985 we beat both Navy 16 to 13, and Temple 17 to 10…both games at the Tub.
1985, my freshman year marching in the UD Drum Line!

Weird season, the Hens go 2-0 against I-A teams but only 4-4 against I-AA teams (plus 1-0 vs Div II WCU), including a miserable season finale loss to Maine in horrendous weather (froze my @ss off!). No playoffs.
Finally have a reason to care about Hens MBB again!
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

I remember that game, If i remember correctly, Napoleon MCcallum was on the team in 1985, 6th in Heisman balloting, drafted by the Raiders.
Los Angeles Harballers
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:04 pm I remember that game, If i remember correctly, Napoleon MCcallum was on the team in 1985, 6th in Heisman balloting, drafted by the Raiders.
Yep...he and Booker got into a little scuffle at one point. I think Book had 20+ tackles that game. He was an absolute monster! Has to be considered the best defensive player ever at Delaware...
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:18 pmI think Book had 20+ tackles that game. He was an absolute monster! Has to be considered the best defensive player ever at Delaware...
A terrific player and certainly ONE of the best. Hard for me to say who was THE very best, considering the list of guys like Joe Carbone, Dennis Johnson, Shawn Johnson, Bob Young, Ted Gregory, Paul Worrilow, and so many others over the years.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Fun trivia question - did a president ever play football for the UD Blue Hens? Gerald Ford played football for Michigan, did another president wear a winged football helmet in the collegiate sport?
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

77HEN wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 am Fun trivia question - did a president ever play football for the UD Blue Hens? Gerald Ford played football for Michigan, did another president wear a winged football helmet in the collegiate sport?
Not sure, but if so it must have been with those old leather helmets
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

77HEN wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 amFun trivia question - did a president ever play football for the UD Blue Hens? Gerald Ford played football for Michigan, did another president wear a winged football helmet in the collegiate sport?
Not varsity football for the Chicks of Delaware.

Dwight D. played two-way ball for Army in the early 1910s, just after the forward pass was introduced and a couple of decades before Crisler got the bright idea at Princeton.

Ronnie R. barely saw some action for his tiny Illinois college, but he played some and, by all accounts, not very well. Again, that was before ol' Fritz's "invention".