Home and Home Set with UCONN

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Re: Home and Home Set with UCONN

Post by Hen90 »

RalphD58 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm I didn't have to Google, "Where is UConn" and their mascot isn't a Camel named Gaylord, so I'm happy.
Amen brother!
Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 »

I am a long time UD hoops fan and have always loved the chance to compete for a trip to the dance.

I was always ambivalent about FCS football and then became downright disheartened the last several years as FCS and especially the CAA got so watered down.

So I’m very excited about this move to FBS football. I’ve reserved football season tickets for the first time ever and plan to substantially increase my giving. I’m also planning trips with the family to the Colorado and Wake Forest games.

I respect that other see the move differently. And, yes, I realize I am weighing in very late on this topic!
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:39 am
HenZoneNation wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:25 am It's the Will Knight Bowl

I like this a lot. We should be playing UConn, JMU, Temple, Army, Navy, UMass, etc. Schools that are comparable to us both in terms ability and geographically. I don't see UD and C-USA as a permanent marriage. I don't think there is any conference that can say with any level of confidence that in this landscape, we are secure for the next thirty years with our teams. The PAC 12 folded...that's insane. My point is, reconnecting with old rivals isn't a bad thing. You can have rivals outside your conference, but would anyone be SHOCKED if one day on this board we were discussing a conference with some or all of the schools I listed above making up its membership? It's an exciting time to be apart of the FBS.

Was it UConn where Nagy and Conti went off for like a billion yards?
UD joining a conference resembling those teams or geographically is what the goal more than likely is in the future. Right now, the closest conference to this geographically is the AAC. Perhaps in the future Conf USA expands more to the east coast or the AAC expands to two divisions and makes room for UD, if UD is successful. If Umass were to join Conference USA as rumored that would be the first baby step towards this.

First things first we need to be competitive in Conf USA and fill our small stadium. Then we need to get this practice facility and NEZ expansion project off the ground. Winning, Increased Attendance/engagement, and the improved stadium/facilities is the key to getting into a better conference. Lots of work to do.

More fans will probably come out to the tub to see UConn and JMU over St.Francis, Sacred Heart, Duquese etc....So attendance and interest should increase just based upon the quality of teams we are going to be playing. Just can't get blown out by 4 touchdowns plus every game. Need to continue recruiting and see if this staff can hang at the FBS level.
Im all for future success in FBS but lets pump the brakes a little, fans will pour in for competitive football which aint a given for a number of years. Not sure UCONN will move the needle much. The teams that draw crowds wont be coming to Delaware any time soon. The thought that moving to FBS will pack the stadium just because the Hens are finally FBS doesnt make much sense to me. You want to play with the big dawgs, youre gonna take your lumps. You want fans back, win. IMHO
Los Angeles Harballers
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

FBS has 133 teams
UConn was ranked 127th on Massey last season

Finished 3-9 in 2023 beating
Sacred Heart
UMass
Rice and Beans

This is a game Delaware should win and it’s never too early to start talking about winning
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

I'd much rather see UConn than the other “OOC” “slop”, CR has been bringing unto Newark lately.
Last edited by Hengrad07 on Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JustWinBaby
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:38 am I'd much rather see UConn than the other NC “slop”, CR has been bringing unto Newark lately.
+1
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:33 pm
Hensfansince03 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:39 am
HenZoneNation wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:25 am It's the Will Knight Bowl

I like this a lot. We should be playing UConn, JMU, Temple, Army, Navy, UMass, etc. Schools that are comparable to us both in terms ability and geographically. I don't see UD and C-USA as a permanent marriage. I don't think there is any conference that can say with any level of confidence that in this landscape, we are secure for the next thirty years with our teams. The PAC 12 folded...that's insane. My point is, reconnecting with old rivals isn't a bad thing. You can have rivals outside your conference, but would anyone be SHOCKED if one day on this board we were discussing a conference with some or all of the schools I listed above making up its membership? It's an exciting time to be apart of the FBS.

Was it UConn where Nagy and Conti went off for like a billion yards?
UD joining a conference resembling those teams or geographically is what the goal more than likely is in the future. Right now, the closest conference to this geographically is the AAC. Perhaps in the future Conf USA expands more to the east coast or the AAC expands to two divisions and makes room for UD, if UD is successful. If Umass were to join Conference USA as rumored that would be the first baby step towards this.

First things first we need to be competitive in Conf USA and fill our small stadium. Then we need to get this practice facility and NEZ expansion project off the ground. Winning, Increased Attendance/engagement, and the improved stadium/facilities is the key to getting into a better conference. Lots of work to do.

More fans will probably come out to the tub to see UConn and JMU over St.Francis, Sacred Heart, Duquese etc....So attendance and interest should increase just based upon the quality of teams we are going to be playing. Just can't get blown out by 4 touchdowns plus every game. Need to continue recruiting and see if this staff can hang at the FBS level.
Im all for future success in FBS but lets pump the brakes a little, fans will pour in for competitive football which aint a given for a number of years. Not sure UCONN will move the needle much. The teams that draw crowds wont be coming to Delaware any time soon. The thought that moving to FBS will pack the stadium just because the Hens are finally FBS doesnt make much sense to me. You want to play with the big dawgs, youre gonna take your lumps. You want fans back, win. IMHO
Valid points. I do see our crowds being similar especially with all games in October being on weeknights I do not see it being a packed house, but hopefully winning will draw interest and just our name being out there on nationally televised games etc.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

CR brings in OOC opponents and to my memory in the OOC schedules she has approved, exactly ZERO have been from NC. The conference she inherited and has managed to get of out of sets that portion of our schedule. Facts are such an impediment to the hate some of you keep spewing.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Other than the Del State game, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with the OOC schedule for Delawares inaugural season in FBS. That combined with the Conference USA match ups should make for a interesting and fun season in 2025.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

That list added to Liberty should appeal to recruits. Good work by CR
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

RalphD58 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:18 am Other than the Del State game, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with the OOC schedule for Delawares inaugural season in FBS. That combined with the Conference USA match ups should make for a interesting and fun season in 2025.

Well said 58. They're definitely moving quickly to upgrade the schedule and much to look forward to. Having a Homecoming game next year against La Tech or Western Kentucky instead of a NC A & T will be a much different experience
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

RalphD58 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:18 am Other than the Del State game, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with the OOC schedule for Delawares inaugural season in FBS. That combined with the Conference USA match ups should make for a interesting and fun season in 2025.

Totally agree, Ralph. Excellent work by Chrissi and her staff in securing this non-conference slate in just our first year playing FBS football. Will only get more exciting as we go. Let’s get as far away from the CAA as we can as soon as possible. Looking forward to many more future non-conference games to be announced…Navy, Army, Temple, Marshall, Georgia Southern and others!!!
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

I'm definitely looking forward to more regional FBS opponents once the dust settles.
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

jd of de wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:05 am CR brings in OOC opponents and to my memory in the OOC schedules she has approved, exactly ZERO have been from NC. The conference she inherited and has managed to get of out of sets that portion of our schedule. Facts are such an impediment to the hate some of you keep spewing.
Think they meant nonconference, not North Carolina.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:05 pm
jd of de wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:05 am CR brings in OOC opponents and to my memory in the OOC schedules she has approved, exactly ZERO have been from NC. The conference she inherited and has managed to get of out of sets that portion of our schedule. Facts are such an impediment to the hate some of you keep spewing.
Think they meant nonconference, not North Carolina.
That's exactly what I meant and for the most part, the “OOC” has been slop. CR &/or assansis have probably also voted for the new “slop” entering the CAA. Good Bye, Good Ridence CAA!
Last edited by Hengrad07 on Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JustWinBaby