Spring Game Info - April 19

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Spring Game Info - April 19

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Attila the Hen wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 pm My main takeaway from the game: The Next Big Thing is.... Matthew McKinley.
Carty will have a very hard time keeping him in Newark for his whole career.
Who’s that?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Matt McKinley....6', 185 from Gainesville Fla and Hawthorne HS (#80)
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 am Who’s that?
Freshman WR. Reminds me of Wimberly. Late 2024 recruit. Early enrollee.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

sounds from your post that we need to work hard to keep him happy and wanting to remain here. the 1st couple of minutes of his Hudl video look mighty impressive. fast, shifty, good routes. He clearly has attitude, but with these attributes why did he choose us? could be various reasons/issues- who knows, but he is a player!!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Attila the Hen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:22 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 am Who’s that?
Freshman WR. Reminds me of Wimberly. Late 2024 recruit. Early enrollee.
Nice

He’s on the watch list now especially with the Wimberly comparison … that dude was special
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

tenn hen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:33 am sounds from your post that we need to work hard to keep him happy and wanting to remain here. the 1st couple of minutes of his Hudl video look mighty impressive. fast, shifty, good routes. He clearly has attitude, but with these attributes why did he choose us? could be various reasons/issues- who knows, but he is a player!!
He chose UD because of Carty’s receiver friendly offense and the team has “attitude”. Good academics and great relationships with his recruiters.
If he matriculated elsewhere, I would have asked why didn’t he come to UD.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Good response, mpwerrell, to an oddly phrased query.
#JUST WIN
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Interestingly enough, it doesn’t look like McKinley received much recruiting interest…I only see 2 FBS scholarship offers between UD and Western Michigan.
tenn hen

Post by tenn hen »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:14 pm Good response, mpwerrell, to an oddly phrased query.
Info Hound wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:14 pm Good response, mpwerrell, to an oddly phrased query.
finpxz1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:45 pm Interestingly enough, it doesn’t look like McKinley received much recruiting interest…I only see 2 FBS scholarship offers between UD and Western Michigan.
FYI- I believe Fin answered the "query" pretty clearly though to clarify-If he is as good as his video, then why the lack of offers? I'll let your imagination continue towards an inference. BTW- I'm pleased we got him and hope he has a wonderful career here-

Welcome to Blue Hen Country my man! bust lots of moves to the House
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

tenn hen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:30 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:45 pm Interestingly enough, it doesn’t look like McKinley received much recruiting interest…I only see 2 FBS scholarship offers between UD and Western Michigan.
FYI- I believe Fin answered the "query" pretty clearly though to clarify-If he is as good as his video, then why the lack of offers? I'll let your imagination continue towards an inference. BTW- I'm pleased we got him and hope he has a wonderful career here-

You are a piece of work.

1. Your query was “why did he choose us” that was prefaced by your description of his positive attributes. The inference is that it sounds blatantly negative.
2. You had no idea prior to fin’s post how many offers he received but needed his comment to try to recover.
3. Why no more offers? Perhaps we established a relationship early and he knew he wanted to come to UD and ended his recruitment. Perhaps he flew under the radar. I could add numerous other positive possibilities.

Once again you make a statement and once a comment is made you have to “clarify” or backtrack on your original statement.

Certainly your m.o.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

I can say with confidence we are discussing him now because he stood out at the blue-black game, not due to any videos from HS.
tenn hen

Post by tenn hen »

mpwerrell wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:58 pm

You are a piece of work.

1. Your query was “why did he choose us” that was prefaced by your description of his positive attributes. The inference is that it sounds blatantly negative.
2. You had no idea prior to fin’s post how many offers he received but needed his comment to try to recover.
3. Why no more offers? Perhaps we established a relationship early and he knew he wanted to come to UD and ended his recruitment. Perhaps he flew under the radar. I could add numerous other positive possibilities.

Once again you make a statement and once a comment is made you have to “clarify” or backtrack on your original statement.

Certainly your m.o.
Why are you so touchy? this is a sports board dude!

I read most everything I can find on UD sports that includes the RECRUITS section on our gohens site which lists everything found on recruits and the colleges who offered them. Clarke Atlanta is another school who offered!! I've known this info since I first saw his name on the list.

As to the rest of your points- they are not worth responding to but I will attempt to educate you- see below

As an avid follower of sports myself, I am aware of the myriad issues in recruiting as are many here on the board who I respect 8).

1) many can be positive such as relationships with the coach(s), players, alumni, or friends/recruits who plan to sign up. Maybe experiencing a different environment or maybe immediate playing time. there are others.

2) many can be negative or concerning, such as grades, history, or previous coaches comments, etc.

Hey- I hope he loved us from the start, there were no negatives, and that's the end of the story
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

There were other lesser knowns other than McKinley equally or more impressive during the scrimmage maybe it's time to shift to those. For example:

* RB Ronny Heath from NJ powerhouse Don Bosco Prep who showed nice speed, some power and twitch at 5-9 190 and included a nice TD run.

* Santino Correa at WR who ran good routes, showed speed and made a nice catch

* WR Isiah Cherry who at 6-4 is a nice big target with a reminder of Brian Ingram from the 2003 team. Cherry adjusted well to a couple of balls from O'Connor for catches

* OLB Mekhi Carmon who had a couple of nice, hard tackles and showed some much needed speed at the LB position including running down Silver on a longer run that looked like a TD at one point until Carmon turned on the speed. He's smaller at 6-2,200 but might be a good one to utilize his speed off the Edge at times

* OG Anwar ONeal from Middletown who started off with the 2s but after a few series ended up at LG with the First team most of the remainder of the game. One observer from Middletown heard he is up to 280 pounds.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

HENJOHN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm There were other lesser knowns other than McKinley equally or more impressive during the scrimmage maybe it's time to shift to those. For example:

* RB Ronny Heath from NJ powerhouse Don Bosco Prep who showed nice speed, some power and twitch at 5-9 190 and included a nice TD run.

* WR Isiah Cherry who at 6-4 is a nice big target with a reminder of Brian Ingram from the 2003 team. Cherry adjusted well to a couple of balls from O'Connor for catches

* OLB Mekhi Carmon who had a couple of nice, hard tackles and showed some much needed speed at the LB position including running down Silver on a longer run that looked like a TD at one point until Carmon turned on the speed. He's smaller at 6-2,200 but might be a good one to utilize his speed off the Edge at times

* OG Anwar ONeal from Middletown who started off with the 2s but after a few series ended up at LG with the First team most of the remainder of the game. One observer from Middletown heard he is up to 280 pounds.
O’Neil looks like the kind of fit, strong player we need on the OL.
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

HENJOHN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm There were other lesser knowns other than McKinley equally or more impressive during the scrimmage maybe it's time to shift to those. For example:

Well said John. I wasn't trying to single out McKinley as the only bright spot. Lots of things out there to like. Parisi with some nice WR play as well. Despite the heavy losses, the WR room looks to be deep and talented. I know Carty doesn't like to redshirt guys that can play, but I would probably limit McKinley to four games and save his eligibilty for CUSA play. We've got Patterson and Thaw incoming and Witcher showed some flash in the black and blue game too.

St Fleur stood out to me and Costello looked like he belonged out there too. RB room is solid. My unsung hero Watson ran hard as usual.

Lots of OL combinations with multiple players seeing time at more than one position. Building versatility up front. Sparks and Anyanwu sat out. I thought Caccese played well in addition to O'Neal.

Minicucci, Lipovski and Creecy all looked good running the ball, with Creecy making an official look bad imo with a bogus early whistle. The days of the immobile QB are over and will not be back on Carty's watch.

Between the number changes and the new faces, I wasn't able to follow the defense that well. Hope to hear some comments about the defense from anyone who was watching them.