Spring Game Info - April 19

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

Spring Game Info - April 19

Post by HENJOHN »

https://bluehens.com/news/2024/2/27/foo ... ff119eb98d

First Practice SAT March 9..... Practices again "Closed to the Public".
mpwerrell

Re: Spring Game Info - April 19

Post by mpwerrell »

Thanks John. The continuing new normal about practices. I’ve come to fully accept the ban and I won’t even ask to be a guest for Sunday practices.
Hope to see you at the Spring Game!
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

I'll see you there for sure MP and while I've accepted the ban for Fans as well , I don't understand the Media restriction at all. Our reporters of over 30 years have proven more than responsible and aren't going to divulge anything to our opponents so doing so just limits the amount of information and details many fans would love to see. Considering we are going through one of the most important Athletic transitions in recent history, it makes even less sense to close things up.
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Post by UDFootballFan »

Why limit spring practices to media and fans. Its a good chance to hype the program and get fans excited for the fall.

Do we really implement that many new things in the spring especially with the same coordinators.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

UDFootballFan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am Why limit spring practices to media and fans. Its a good chance to hype the program and get fans excited for the fall.

Do we really implement that many new things in the spring especially with the same coordinators.
Limiting the media is just ridiculous in my opinion. Really eliminating your exposure to what we need more fans so that maybe we can grow and fund the program the way we would like to.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Frankly, it is puzzling that Chrissi doesn't step in. She is working her tail off to get UD good publicity and to get the word out to more alumni/potential new fans about the massive commitment to move the needle on our athletics. The BOT, administration and staff have all put their necks on the line so that athletics can be a bigger, better gateway/front porch of the university.

Yet, Ryan is playing hide and seek with his team (mostly hide).

Makes ZERO sense. In fact, it is counter-productive to the whole mission.

I can agree to some point about limiting fans access to practice...especially when there might have been some pretty petty, entitled, old brats hanging around practice while criticizing the coach on social media. Nobody likes to put up with that crap.

But, limiting the press? At THIS time? :shock:

Just a bad decision - it reflects poorly on the athletic department and the AD's leadership...the very same folks that are asking people to commit more money, time and effort towards athletics.

Carty might not like it, but Chrissi should let him know that he has to be a team member in the university's efforts to generate more interest and support.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

I dunno, from the Hens to other things Delaware I conclude that hiding is the Delaware Way of doing things.
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

After a little brief research, I found that Penn State and Michigan both hold just one open practice for fans. Both are in August. Penn State allows no cameras, photography or video. For what it is worth.

Sally in RI
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Sally in RI wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:10 pm After a little brief research, I found that Penn State and Michigan both hold just one open practice for fans. Both are in August. Penn State allows no cameras, photography or video. For what it is worth.

Sally in RI
+1. The Hens moving up actually reduces the chances of practices being open. Time to move on.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Move on from what? There are also numerous teams that have Practices open as well. Again, the issue isn't so much the fan access as it is Media which provides information, interviews and coverage that MOST fans want to see. CLUCK covered it nicely...

So as we move into one of the most critical Athletic transitions in school history and trying to generate another $85 Million for Facility upgrades and sell Fans on the new Conference and schedules, it makes sense to limit coverage of the Football team? Getting occasional 10 second UD videos on Twitter of a WR catching an out pattern is hardly Team Coverage...the only thing its time to do actually is Wise up.
Last edited by HENJOHN on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 pm Move on from what? There are also numerous teams that have Practices open as well. Again, the issue isn't so much the fan access as it is Media which provides information, interviews and coverage that MOST fans want to see. CLUCK covered it nicely...

So as we move into one of the most critical Athletic transitions in school history and trying to generate another $85 Million for Facility upgrades and sell Fans on the new Conference and schedules, it makes sense to limit coverage of the Football team?.....the only thing its time to do actually is Wise up.
👏🏼
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UDFootballFan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am Why limit spring practices to media and fans. Its a good chance to hype the program and get fans excited for the fall.

Carty was spotted at HD yesterday loading up on a case of WD-40 to try to fix the “swinging gate”… is he going to ditch that thing ?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:48 pm

Carty was spotted at HD yesterday loading up on a case of WD-40 to try to fix the “swinging gate”… is he going to ditch that thing ?
:lol:

Goodness knows, he is stuck on that play...no matter how poorly it has performed. His excuse is similar to a familiar mantra: it should work...any examples of previous failures just mean is hasn't been properly implemented, yet. :lol:

Now, his other creative stuff...sign me up. Much more fun than 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

On the subject of fans watching practice...not really a problem for me. It is the exclusion of the sports writers that I believe is a mistake...especially since we are in a transition. That is just a bad marketing decision to appease a coach's paranoia.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 pm Move on from what? There are also numerous teams that have Practices open as well. Again, the issue isn't so much the fan access as it is Media which provides information, interviews and coverage that MOST fans want to see. CLUCK covered it nicely...

So as we move into one of the most critical Athletic transitions in school history and trying to generate another $85 Million for Facility upgrades and sell Fans on the new Conference and schedules, it makes sense to limit coverage of the Football team? Getting occasional 10 second UD videos on Twitter of a WR catching an out pattern is hardly Team Coverage...the only thing its time to do actually is Wise up.
right on brother- we may disagree on some opinions, but you are spot on here. It sems that limiting access to both media(especially) and fans at certain times or on select days would be a reasonable compromise to limit info on new formations, trick plays, player utilization, etc. Just to clarify, I believe someone may have posted this thought before. But you want to INCREASE INTEREST in the program by inundating/blitzing(pun intended) all types of social media. Selling seats and bringing in revenue is the end all for UD. The Front Porch(Huh.. :lol: ) concept of Assanis for UD applies here as well. Many of us hope that the present CUSA is not the end all of our FBS move. As a matter of fact, I'm still not giving up my dream of the ACC. It would be watered down due to the realignment shenanigans, but it would be awesome in so many aspects of all sports though maybe not women's hockey :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

Well at least spring ball started. That we know, lol
Attachments
IMG_2589.jpeg
IMG_2589.jpeg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D