College Basketball Coaches

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: College Basketball Coaches

Post by BlueHenBill »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:49 pm How about Mark Few at Gonzaga? His record is
714–142 (.834) and he has 41 NCAA tournament wins. All at a school of 5000 out in the middle of nowhere.

And this debate of “who can coach” versus only recruit is really meaningless. Winning is what matters. At UD, it is really all about getting to the NCAA tournament.

And talk about a “sliver of introspection”. I remember Cluck saying Ross only went to the NCAA tourney because he got lucky that Usher came to UD. On its own it was a silly argument. But you have to come up with something when a coach you constantly bashed had an end-to-end regular season and CAA tournament championship with likely the most talented team in UD history. But the hypocrisy was staggering as Cluck would defend KC from his true haters who said he was only a CEO and got lucky with transfers and only won with Tubby’s guys.

Finally, nice thread Pat.
Ross's team should have won the CAA the year before as it was probably his most talented. For the following season Devon Saddler had played ball with Usher and he recruited Usher to UD. Usher of course was instrumental in Ross winning his only CAA title which delayed Ross's inevitable departure from UD.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:49 pm How about Mark Few at Gonzaga? His record is
714–142 (.834) and he has 41 NCAA tournament wins. All at a school of 5000 out in the middle of nowhere.

And this debate of “who can coach” versus only recruit is really meaningless. Winning is what matters. At UD, it is really all about getting to the NCAA tournament.

And talk about a “sliver of introspection”. I remember Cluck saying Ross only went to the NCAA tourney because he got lucky that Usher came to UD. On its own it was a silly argument. But you have to come up with something when a coach you constantly bashed had an end-to-end regular season and CAA tournament championship with likely the most talented team in UD history. But the hypocrisy was staggering as Cluck would defend KC from his true haters who said he was only a CEO and got lucky with transfers and only won with Tubby’s guys.

Finally, nice thread Pat.
Comparing Ross to KC Keeler. 😂

One year among a crapload of years. One.

Gosh, maybe some folks forget that Keeler consistently got his players to national championships and deep playoff runs. Similar to Petino, he did it with multiple teams playing different styles.

But yeah, Ross recruited a couple good players, and one of his players recruited a missing piece that produced…checks notes…one NCAA playoff loss. 😂

OK. 👌😉
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Future Hall of Fame coach versus a Hall of Shame coach.

Man, some folks will defend anything.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm BEST-

Bruce Pearl
Danny Hurley

Good but Most Overrated -

Tony Bennett
John Calipari
Interesting choices. Hurley is doing well, but not a long track record. I think he is a really good up and coming coach. Have to see a few more years to see if he sustains things. Pearl…has some success, but a few bad years as well.

But, Calipari overrated? The guy wins…a lot. At several stops. That is hard to replicate, so (for me) it is hard to say he is overrated.

Anyway, always fun to read other picks. 👍

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

I'm not a BB expert CLUCK but you can be a good Coach and still get too much credit or praise and I think that's where Coach Cal is for me. He Gets top rated class most years but doesn't always translate. I think he's a real good Coach just a little overated. Hell watch him win it all this year
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 pm Future Hall of Fame coach versus a Hall of Shame coach.

Hey! I wasn’t comparing coaches. I was comparing some of the idiotic responses to coaches when they win. That’s all. Sometimes it is better to just stay quiet.

And I was expecting at least a couple more emojis in the response :-)

Any comments on Few?
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

There's always one guy that ruins it.

I think they are all good answers, my goal was not to criticize anyone's choices.

Football coaches??? Wrong thread. Couldn't give a crap about them.

I thought Dawn Staley might get a rise from folks. But I stand by that choice. Would be my choice for the first woman to Head Coach an NBA Team.

Dan Hurley has taken 2 3star recruits(big men) Sadamo and Clingen and developed them into a BE POY and a future BE POY.
He has won everywhere and now doing it on a national stage.

Read The Miracle of St. Anthony" one if the best books I ever read period. Learn a lot about the Hurley's.

All good answers
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Dawn Staley deserves to be on any short list. Good choice
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm BEST-

Bruce Pearl
Danny Hurley

Good but Most Overrated -

Tony Bennett
John Calipari
Hurley is a master of the current NCAA landscape. His team building is quite phenomenal. One of the only programs that can keep guys in the wings to develop and fill in the shoes of the people ahead of them... I'm sure the NIL helps. Balanced offensively and defensively. Cam Spencer was an amazing addition in the portal, this UConn group is fun to watch.

A big fan of Scott Drew as well. I am happy to see he denied the money Louisville was ready to throw at him so he can continue to build what he has at Baylor.
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:00 am
Cluck U wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 pm Future Hall of Fame coach versus a Hall of Shame coach.

Hey! I wasn’t comparing coaches. I was comparing some of the idiotic responses to coaches when they win. That’s all. Sometimes it is better to just stay quiet.

And I was expecting at least a couple more emojis in the response :-)

Any comments on Few?
Speaking of idiotic responses, plenty of coaches can recruit, but not coach and/or can’t recruit but can coach. The great ones do both. The other guys get stuck in la-la land and win some games but can’t consistently compete with the big boys, horses or not. Ross, of course, rarely was successful at either effort. And, those particular best of Delaware horses under Ross gave up 93 points in a first round game. IF Ross could coach, perhaps we win a couple more games and get a better match up. Or, perhaps we pull off the upset. But…nope. A fun team to watch in some ways…loved watching Usher shoot…but not a very good team in the bigger scheme of things. Sad that some folks think winning a conference and losing by 15 in a first round game is a success story. A winning story. :roll: Too me, it was a wasted opportunity…and that is why I make a difference between having talent and actually coaching that talent to win bigger. Ross had some talent that year (and yes, Usher was a one-time gift), but Ross couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

As far as Few goes…like the guy. Damned shame he couldn’t pull off the big win in 2017. He does a lot with lesser talent (but has also lost games as an higher ranked team earlier in the tourney…I have been disappointed too many times). It would be interesting to see him take a job at a blue blood program where great recruits fall out of trees just to hear the school name. Few is a good story…a long term guy at a mid-major. I’d LOVE to have that guy (or anyone with his success) at UD. He is a guy that gives hope to mid-major teams.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Well, UD has never had a”very good team in the bigger scheme of things” I guess. But the 13-14 team did win the most games in school history, the only regular season conference championship and one of two NCAA tournament appearances in the 21st century. So there is that.

I wish one of those 21st century teams or one of four of Brey’s won an NCAA game. Just like I wish the Hens had another 1-AA/FCS title. But they blew that 19-0 lead in the middle of the third quarter in Frisco.

At least we don’t have to worry about FCS titles in football anymore as we await our first NCAA tournament hoops win. I hope it is sooner rather than later. But it may require another head coach to do it.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Maybe Calapari’s star is dimming a little with another first round/early loss? #14 Oakland just beat #3 Kentucky with a DII transfer guard that shot 10-20 on 3’s. And oh yeah … they made 15 3s total.

And #11 Duquesne beat #6 BYU with 5 players 6’7” or bigger and 4 of them from foreign countries … Mali, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Serbia.

Go out and get guys they can play MI. They are out there.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Kentucky Blue Blood losing to #14 Seed Oakland (Michigan) in First round? This is the type of thing and reasons I listed Coach Cal as a little Overrated. Geez that's a Bad Loss for a program like that.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 pm Kentucky Blue Blood losing to #14 Seed Oakland (Michigan) in First round? This is the type of thing and reasons I listed Coach Cal as a little Overrated. Geez that's a Bad Loss for a program like that.
Watched part of that game after switching over from the SDSU game (42-38…but soon got out of hand). Lil’ Cluck and I were rooting for the underdog (as always when we don’t have a dog in the hunt) and I was thinking about your comment. 👍

Best part of March Madness…watching the Davids slay the Goliaths.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Gotta Love March Madness. Yeah it's a shame but KY has had First Round losses as heavy favorites two of the last three years all while having a Team filled with McDonald's All Americans