Transfer Portal Open

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
hensfan40yrs

Re: Transfer Portal Open

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am
hensfan40yrs wrote:Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pmYou mean playing a sport you love while getting a free education aint enough?? Thats getting screwed?
Yes, the athletes were receiving SOME compensation, but, in many cases, it was not nearly equitable enough. Some athletes weren't even getting much of an education at all. This isn't even a point of legitimate contention anymore. The concept of athlete compensation may offend your archaic sensibilities, but the schools, conferences, the NCAA, and, most importantly, U.S. courts all disagree.

As Mr. Gannonfan, 79, and I all said, the market will correct some of the ridiculous and harmful overreaches in due time. Hang in there or don't. There are plenty of other diversions that aren't nearly as complicated.
Its pretty amazing to me that a few on here have it all figured out already, kudos
Los Angeles Harballers
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pmThe lawyers will eventually make sure that high school athletes get paid. There's no stopping this train. Amateur, schmamateur...
Of course, 30 states already allow some sort of NIL for high school athletes and the Delaware DIAA is considering it.

We're only in this predicament because the country insists that athletics be tied to education. It's a silly, long outdated concept.
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am
hensfan40yrs wrote:Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pmYou mean playing a sport you love while getting a free education aint enough?? Thats getting screwed?
Yes, the athletes were receiving SOME compensation, but, in many cases, it was not nearly equitable enough. Some athletes weren't even getting much of an education at all. This isn't even a point of legitimate contention anymore. The concept of athlete compensation may offend your archaic sensibilities, but the schools, conferences, the NCAA, and, most importantly, U.S. courts all disagree.

As Mr. Gannonfan, 79, and I all said, the market will correct some of the ridiculous and harmful overreaches in due time. Hang in there or don't. There are plenty of other diversions that aren't nearly as complicated.
the only thing I would argue on this one is that it is one of two things....1) they did not belong in college in the first place, or 2) they did not want to be there and were just there because they had to to play football.

pushing someone along who can not make it on their own does not help that individual....to the second then is they CHOOSE to not participate in the education, then they are CHOOSING to waste the opportunity given to them....much like wasting a paycheck on useless **** and ending up broke as opposed to being responsible.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 amIts pretty amazing to me that a few on here have it all figured out already, kudos
I suppose that's just the point that several of us have made: it HAS NOT been figured out yet. The NIL/portal process is still very new and will continue to evolve and self-correct. Patience in the face of craziness is needed.

I'd be interested to hear how or why you disagree.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Yeah, not only does nobody have this figured out, I don't think anyone is claiming they have. Don't understand the swipe there at all. This issue needs some expeditious guardrails and guidelines for sure.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:21 am
hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 amIts pretty amazing to me that a few on here have it all figured out already, kudos
I suppose that's just the point that several of us have made: it HAS NOT been figured out yet. The NIL/portal process is still very new and will continue to evolve and self-correct. Patience in the face of craziness is needed.

I'd be interested to hear how or why you disagree.
Patience does not change the fact that the NIL, Transfer Portal is not good for college football. Already established G5 schools win, all others struggle.
Los Angeles Harballers
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Sorry if it appeared as a swipe, just tired of hearing the NCAA will figure it out. Appears to be a can of worms they cant close.
Los Angeles Harballers
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 am Sorry if it appeared as a swipe, just tired of hearing the NCAA will figure it out. Appears to be a can of worms they cant close.
No doubt. Personally I don't understand why more isn't being done to rectify this. New NCAA Pres Charlie Baker is taking his time
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 am No doubt. Personally I don't understand why more isn't being done to rectify this. New NCAA Pres Charlie Baker is taking his time
Short answer IMO: Lawyers.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 am
hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 am Sorry if it appeared as a swipe, just tired of hearing the NCAA will figure it out. Appears to be a can of worms they cant close.
No doubt. Personally I don't understand why more isn't being done to rectify this. New NCAA Pres Charlie Baker is taking his time
HJ, he has to take his time. There is no quick solution to this, and it can get ugly pretty quickly. The NCAA and the schools will be looking at lawsuits out the wazzoo if they try to institute too much control.

The disdain some have for a free market is funny…but the optics of telling our nation that a bunch of old men say that young athletes can’t make TOO much money off their athleticism and likeness, while the NCAA and the schools take in billions…and that the athletes will need to be “chained” to a particular school, is horrible…especially since this effort focuses mostly on the revenue sports which happen to have a large population of Black players.

There is no easy way to craft a message that honestly tells people that Old Money institutions want to make gobs and gobs of money, while limiting young athletes’ earnings, and that the institutions will collude (there’s that pesky legal definition, again) in order to do so.

The story that will need to be told is that some of the lesser athletes are “suffering” in the shadows of the top earners, so there will need to be guidelines in order to protect the masses. That is, of course, ridiculous, as no athletes suffers anything from not getting paid big bucks if they can’t find anyone to pay them what they want. But it will be the selling point to limit the big money payouts to make things more…what was that word BG used, “equitable.” Think of the children! :lol:

And how will all this benefit the University of Delaware and its athletes in the end? We aren’t going to find our way to the top of the heap. And what about Delaware State University…you absolutely know that whatever guidelines are made, they won’t be able to exclude the smaller schools getting in line to demand their fair share of the pie. The lawsuits will follow. Holy Sheetz! :lol:

No quick answer, folks. No stuffing the genie back into the bottle.

Attila gets it. :D
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 am
My Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope U R well.

I can't get involved in this thread too much, as much of it is over my head! :shock: :shock:

But I think it comes down to one thing and one thing only, Change is slow cause everyone is making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think it's that simple

Have a good day Sir
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 amSorry if it appeared as a swipe, just tired of hearing the NCAA will figure it out. Appears to be a can of worms they cant close.
I didn't suggest the NCAA (the representative organization) will ever be the agency that will solve the current predicament; to the contrary. MARKET FORCES will determine how and when saner, more workable policies will be adopted by conferences, institutions, players, and media networks. The interests of the patrons - those who fund athletic departments, buy tickets, pay student fees, purchase media access, etc. - can only be minimized or ignored for so long.

Mr. Cluck's last post is an accurate depiction of why nothing will be worked out quickly.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Well, hopefully while all the celebrating and chaos works itself out, there will be an adult in the room somewhere within these institutions of higher learning that will be focused on these 18 year olds that are suddenly waving a Fist full of Dollars….Have some fun but remember to save some money for a rainy day kid and consider actually attending classes …
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 am Well, hopefully while all the celebrating and chaos works itself out, there will be an adult in the room somewhere within these institutions of higher learning that will be focused on these 18 year olds that are suddenly waving a Fist full of Dollars….Have some fun but remember to save some money for a rainy day kid and consider actually attending classes …
:shock:
Los Angeles Harballers
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm
Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:40 am The schools - particularly those in the traditional power conferences - are largely responsible for the chaos that now reigns by playing their criminally greedy games for decades. Now, the players and their reps are over-correcting way, way too far. Sadly for fans and supporters, there doesn't seem to be much common sense or sanity injected into the proceedings.

This is judgment of Solomon stuff. They're both guilty of slicing the baby in two.

Huh? Paying people what they’re worth is going too far?

On what planet?

If a kid can earn a couple million dollars playing a game, who the heck is anyone to tell them they can’t do that? A player at a college can’t earn a million or two, but a player on an NFL team can? What is that? Because a fan thinks it isn’t fair? :lol:

Good grief. Do people think they can tell an actor how much he can earn for a movie? Do you tell Wendy’s how much you think their top employees should make? Are there fan blogs where fans gripe about how much a golfer gets paid? Wait…those players that took Saudi money sure are saddened as their bank accounts balloon. :lol: Ban golf!!! Errrr…that golf, but not the other golf. Ferreners are wrecking everything.

Don’t like it? Don’t watch. No biggie. It isn’t really our team anyway. The Sixers haven’t asked for my opinion about salaries in…forever.

If the market takes a hit, the pay scale will adapt. If college sports continue to grow, even with the kids getting paid gobs of money…oh well. Pay the kids what they can get. They have every right to cash in on their talent.

Happy they can suck in other people’s money. 👍
Cluck U, All of your examples aren't relevant to college athletics because unlike college players they are pros at the highest level of their respective sport and/or employees under one type of contract or another.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.