Group of Five Playoff?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Group of Five Playoff?

Post by Big R »

Interesting concept.

One comment that almost goes unnoticed except in one of the links is an overall realignment of the G-5 schools by geography to reduce the cost for the “Olympic” sports that are generated by the need to travel great distances. But, as is mentioned, that will entail re-working contracts the leagues have with various TV networks.

Ultimately, it will all come down to money - will potential private equity players anticipate enough payback to bankroll the deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 0agreement.

https://footballscoop.com/news/could-a- ... -be-coming

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/351 ... uity-firms

https://youtu.be/fdPaT9J2xOc?si=jaDG-A1FC6psjjNh
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
Caldwell Chicken

Re: Group of Five Playoff?

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

This feels like the G5 would become the new "FCS".
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

…and FCS will become D2, etc.
Caldwell Chicken

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

mpwerrell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:40 pm …and FCS will become D2, etc.
That is exactly what I am feeling. FCS will need to either move up (G5) or down (D2).
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

I continue to be extremely happy about our move to CUSA.

Edit: 22 more football scholarships, women’s ice hockey partnering with the Flyers. Bryant v. Liberty, Monmouth v. Sam Houston State, Hampton v. New Mexico St.. Seems to be an easy choice to watch. Oh, and FloSports v. ESPN
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

This was all easily foreseeable. UD moved late and, in effect, they preserved a spot in 1AA level of football. History repeated itself.

I support the move up for that reason but it would be a real travesty if the two best programs in the AD (MLAX and FH) end up in worse situations than being in the CAA. It would be a big failure by the AD if proper homes are not found for those programs.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

yep, as i posted in another thread, already established G5 schools win, all others struggle.
Los Angeles Harballers
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 pm This feels like the G5 would become the new "FCS".
I literally said this several years ago. there is virtually no chance for the G5 to realistically compete with the power schools in a playoff for football. it is such a different animal than basketball....Let take their ball ond go play with themselves, then have a division 1 championship with the G5. it only makes sense...
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 pm
That is exactly what I am feeling. FCS will need to either move up (G5) or down (D2).
Not necessarily. FBS, FCS, Div II, and Div Iii are all based on differing limits on the number of scholarships or no scholarships (i.e. supposedly Div III). That structure could still be maintained even with a P4/5 and G5 split in FBS.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

77HEN wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm This was all easily foreseeable. UD moved late and, in effect, they preserved a spot in 1AA level of football. History repeated itself.

I support the move up for that reason but it would be a real travesty if the two best programs in the AD (MLAX and FH) end up in worse situations than being in the CAA. It would be a big failure by the AD if proper homes are not found for those programs.
+ 1 However, I fear that is what is going to happen. I theorize that AD Rawak thought that the CAA would allow UD sports not sponsored by CUSA to continue to compete in the CAA (not counting on their vindictiveness) and if that didn't happen that UD would have little trouble getting their 7 non-CUSA sports into one or more of the regional conferences such as the A10, Patriot, AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big East, etc. as affiliate members. That does not seem to be happening and until/unless things shake out into regional conferences in the G5, AD Rawak's seemingly inadequate planning for the non-CUSA sports before the move to the CUSA could be a black mark on her career as USD AD.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

BlueHenBill wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:39 pm
Caldwell Chicken wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 pm
Not necessarily. FBS, FCS, Div II, and Div Iii are all based on differing limits on the number of scholarships or no scholarships (i.e. supposedly Div III). That structure could still be maintained even with a P4/5 and G5 split in FBS.
I was talking figuratively not literally.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

What conferences look like today and what they may look like by the time the 25-26 school year rolls around have the potential to look very, very different. Already it looks like another active summer at the P4 level. Some think the ACC will go the way of the PAC12 and soon.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Nice headline but...

Another bright idea that will likely end up going nowhere. I would not place my chips on Derek Dooley navigating a huge deal like this.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 am Nice headline but...

Another bright idea that will likely end up going nowhere. I would not place my chips on Derek Dooley navigating a huge deal like this.
Yes, Dooley is probably not the guy that going to seal some type of G5 playoff but put me down for wanting a G5 playoff sooner then later
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 amYes, Dooley is probably not the guy that going to seal some type of G5 playoff but put me down for wanting a G5 playoff sooner then later
A G5 post-season tournament would have to involve a limited number of schools (2-3 weeks in length at most), guarantee profit for the participants, and garner sufficient eyes via ticket sales and media coverage. Otherwise, what's the point? Also, for Pete's sake, don't insult the public's intelligence by calling it a D-I championship.

Anything like the bloated, money-sucking, low-interest FCS tournament would make no sense at all for anyone involved.