Best all time baseball players

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluegill

Best all time baseball players

Post by Bluegill » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm

This is actually the first time I have posted on the Barnyard I used t be in my younger days a rabid baseball fan but i really lost interest during the doping era and for many other reasons but i would like to stir the pot so to speak by offering fans choice to name their list of the best players in history starting with #10 and working the way down to #1 who you thinks the best all time I am in no way claiming I am an expert but just giving you my funniest. should be a interesting topic.

#10 Pete Rose
#9 Sandy Koufax
#8 Hank Greenburg
#7 Stan Musial
#6 Rogers Horsby
#5 Willie Mays
#4 Hank Arron
#3 Ted Williams
#2 Babe Ruth
#1 Ty Cobb

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Re: Best all time baseball players

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 pm

Good list BGill. Gotta have Mickey Mantle on there somewhere!! :D
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Bluegill

Post by Bluegill » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:42 am

Henjohn
thought long and hard about the list, i was planning on making another additional list and agree with you that Mickey should be in the top 10 list possibly in place of Greengerg at *8. There are so many good ones that it would be a shame to leave them off the list. I struggle with having pitchers on the list because of their limited playing time but Koufax was so impressive and dominating in his time I couldn't resist. Satchel Paige, Juan Marischal, Bob Gipson, Whitey Ford, Cy Young, Walter Johnson etc are all so deserving. How about some other greats like Roberto Clemente, Harmon Killebrew, Mike Schmidt, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Eddie Matthews, Lou Brock the list goes on and on

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 am

Some great names and yes hard to keep it to 10. Good stuff.

See you Friday.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:12 am

Might be fun to do a top 10 Phillies list as well. Steve Carleton and Mike Schmidt have got to be at the top of that list.

Bluegill

Post by Bluegill » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:22 am

Jaxhen

Yes I agree with Phillies list Starting with Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt along with Ritchie Ashburn,Greg Luzinsky, Stan Lopata, Robin Roberts, Curt Simmons and I am going to throw in Harry the Horse Anderson because I was the batboy for WCST Rams when he played under a HOF coach Glenn Killinger. Good grief I am telling my age and I wasn't even a Phillies fan because my hero was Stan the Man Musial growing up