UD's Conference Future

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

If UD were in a position to make a move, what would we all like to see?

1. A regional conference with FBS football (all sports in the same conference)
74%
2. Move to the A-10 with an emphasis on basketball, remaining FCS football (deal possibly including annual games against A-10 teams like UMass, Fordham and Richmond)
11%
3. Remain in CAA for Olympic sports. FCS football with a focus on playing regional Patriot and Ivy League teams to cut down on travel costs
5%
4. Stay where we are
11%

Total votes: 19

DCHen97
UD Class: 0

UD's Conference Future

Post by DCHen97 »

Bringing this in from the Mutts thread and the age old A-10 question.

With the anticipated landscape change to the NCAA, thought I would ask
BlueHenBill

Re: UD's Conference Future

Post by BlueHenBill »

DCHen97, Thanks for posting this poll. I am not trying to make more work for you , but I have a question or two and a couple of suggestions for your poll.

1. Is a FBS FB only conf. allowed? If so, that could be an alternate to your current first option.

2. Would FB only membership in an FCS conference be an option under your current second and third options? If so that could be an addtiaonal option to both your current second and third options. I believe most UD FB fans would not be in favor of UD FB as an independent at any level.

3. Depending on the answers to the above questions, you could clarify and/or add to the current poll options.

4. However many options are polled, I suggest a revised poll where each respondent to the poll gets to select all options and rank them from most favored (assigning #1 to that option) to least favored by assigning them progressivley higher #'s (2, 3, etc.).
jd of de

Re: UD's Conference Future

Post by jd of de »

#1 is my guess, with a caveat. I think the football side will look a little like CAA football does. UConn stays in the Big East and Army and Navy are football only as well. I’m not a fan of being conference mates with the military academies but it’s probably what it takes to make it work. Rhode Island and William & Mary football stay FCS.

All non-football sports:
Buffalo
UMass
Rhode Island
Temple
Cincinnati
Delaware
George Mason
VCU
William & Mary
East Carolina
UNC-Charlotte (maybe)

Football only;
UConn
Army
Navy

Cincinnati fans would be livid but they missed the P5 boat; that ship has sailed.

We match up better academically with these schools vs pairing up with ODU, JMU and Marshall.