Baseball 2021

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BH15
UD Class: 1978

Re: Baseball 2021

Post by BH15 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 pm

I cant figure out what the reason would be for a 30 game schedule other than budget constraints. I'm sure Sherm lobbied for a full schedule. I don't think any school would dip into their endowments to fund a non revenue sport's spring schedule. Fair point on Villanova, although when I looked at their schedule, other than travel for Big East games they are only traveling to Delaware and Radford for three out of conference games. They seem to have done a better job in getting out of conference teams to travel to them. W&M and JMU while playing football, don't have men's lacrosse teams eating up budget $ in the spring. Would love to have seen a 50 game schedule this year.

East Coaster
UD Class: 1900

Post by East Coaster » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:32 pm

BH15 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 pm
I cant figure out what the reason would be for a 30 game schedule other than budget constraints. I'm sure Sherm lobbied for a full schedule. I don't think any school would dip into their endowments to fund a non revenue sport's spring schedule. Fair point on Villanova, although when I looked at their schedule, other than travel for Big East games they are only traveling to Delaware and Radford for three out of conference games. They seem to have done a better job in getting out of conference teams to travel to them. W&M and JMU while playing football, don't have men's lacrosse teams eating up budget $ in the spring. Would love to have seen a 50 game schedule this year.
I agree that the endowment is not used to fund the baseball program, but money is fungible, and it is a pretty good measure of the financial strength of UD. Many on this message board seem to greatly admire the Athletic Director. If she is the decision maker on this one, I think she made a mistake. There are a lot of talented players on the team who have trained all year. They missed almost all last season, and now almost half of the normal number of games has been taken away.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:32 pm

East Coaster wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 am
Not sure I buy the budget related reasoning. With respect to football playing CAA members, Villanova has scheduled 40 baseball games, William and Mary 40 games, and JMU 36. Each of those schools has a lower endowment than UD (UD - $1.45 billion, Villanova - $805 million, William and Mary - $967 million, and JMU - a paltry $116 million), and are in a similar position to UD with respect to lower recent revenue. The only cost for a home game is the cost of the umpires, and, in the scheme of things, there is not a lot of cost involved in taking the team on a bus ride to one of the many schools that play baseball within a bus ride of Newark.
East Coaster, Does your claimed UD total endowment of $1.45B reflect the monies that Ud has taken to date from the endowment due to covid-19? As of Sep 2020, UD announced they were taking $100M from the endowment to help with a $250M hole in their budget. I haven't seen any subsequent numbers on budget losses and endowment reductions, but I would be surprised if they both aren't continuing to grow. UD also announced in Sep 2020 that cuts in all aspects of UD were being made to help make-up budgetary shortfalls. It wouldn't surprise me if fewer Baseball games weren't part of those cuts. UD Softball had 54 games scheduled in 2020 vs. 34 this year. Both Baseball & Softball usually have two trips to warmer climes in Feb and they weren't scheduled this season. Plus UD probably has higher athletic expenses this Spring in running almost an entire academic year's worth of sports in the Spring season. Fewer games and fewer away games are probably not only due to budget concerns but also due to minimizing covid-19 risk among the participants.

East Coaster

Post by East Coaster » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:27 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:32 pm
East Coaster wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 am
Not sure I buy the budget related reasoning. With respect to football playing CAA members, Villanova has scheduled 40 baseball games, William and Mary 40 games, and JMU 36. Each of those schools has a lower endowment than UD (UD - $1.45 billion, Villanova - $805 million, William and Mary - $967 million, and JMU - a paltry $116 million), and are in a similar position to UD with respect to lower recent revenue. The only cost for a home game is the cost of the umpires, and, in the scheme of things, there is not a lot of cost involved in taking the team on a bus ride to one of the many schools that play baseball within a bus ride of Newark.
East Coaster, Does your claimed UD total endowment of $1.45B reflect the monies that Ud has taken to date from the endowment due to covid-19? As of Sep 2020, UD announced they were taking $100M from the endowment to help with a $250M hole in their budget. I haven't seen any subsequent numbers on budget losses and endowment reductions, but I would be surprised if they both aren't continuing to grow. UD also announced in Sep 2020 that cuts in all aspects of UD were being made to help make-up budgetary shortfalls. It wouldn't surprise me if fewer Baseball games weren't part of those cuts. UD Softball had 54 games scheduled in 2020 vs. 34 this year. Both Baseball & Softball usually have two trips to warmer climes in Feb and they weren't scheduled this season. Plus UD probably has higher athletic expenses this Spring in running almost an entire academic year's worth of sports in the Spring season. Fewer games and fewer away games are probably not only due to budget concerns but also due to minimizing covid-19 risk among the participants.
BHB, the UD endowment number was taken as of the end of the most recent fiscal year, June 30, 2020. It does not take into account the amount UD has drawn due to the pandemic. Since that date to the present date, all the major stock market indices have increased which would likely have the effect of offsetting in whole or in part such a draw down.

Udforever1

Post by Udforever1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Hens drop two against Nova this weekend. I’d imagine they were still tired from last weekend’s DH.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Hens drop two against Nova this weekend. I’d imagine they were still tired from last weekend’s DH.
Interesting that unlike UD's opening weekend of one doubleheader of two nine inning games with the second game starting at 4:00 PM before daylight savings time and I believe in colder weather, that on UD's second weekend with I believe warmer weather, UD played one nine inning game on Sat and another on Sunday with daylight savings time. :roll:

East Coaster

Post by East Coaster » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Fortunately, we have two weeks until the next scheduled game.

UDFootballFan

Post by UDFootballFan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Why isn’t Sherman going deeper with his staff? See who he got before conference starts.

If I’m Sherm starters go 3-4-5 innings to get work in and then turn over to the pen to see who can be relied on come conference games.

East Coaster

Post by East Coaster » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:07 am

UDFootballFan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:38 pm
Why isn’t Sherman going deeper with his staff? See who he got before conference starts.

If I’m Sherm starters go 3-4-5 innings to get work in and then turn over to the pen to see who can be relied on come conference games.
Agreed for the LaSalle series (Ludman threw over a hundred pitches in the first games), but the real problem is the lack of games. All of our peers have played more games. and many have played significantly more games. It appears that our decision maker, likely our Athletic Director, has chosen to save the gas money for a bus to take a mid-week trip to play a nearby opponent.

We have many pitchers on the staff who need to get some work. Greenly was a preseason all CAA pick but has not pitched (is he available?). Elliott threw some innings for North Carolina last year, and Reichhold was a WF signee. It would be good to get a look at them. Silan was a conference starter last year but has yet to see an inning. The transfer Mervis looks to be talented, but he has thrown less than one inning. And there are others.

Udforever1

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:34 pm

DH tomorrow at Lehigh now.

East Coaster

Post by East Coaster » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Looks like Navy canceled on Lehigh this weekend due to restrictions on movement at the Naval Academy. Glad to see we could fill in. Not sure why Lehigh won’t come down on Sunday and play in Newark.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:34 pm

East Coaster wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm
Looks like Navy canceled on Lehigh this weekend due to restrictions on movement at the Naval Academy. Glad to see we could fill in. Not sure why Lehigh won’t come down on Sunday and play in Newark.
Maybe it is because Lehigh's Softball team was already scheduled to play a DH at UD on Sat, Mar 20.

Udforever1

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:31 pm

St Joes canceled this weekend due to covid protocols with their program. Hens have added a DH vs Fordham. They won the A-10 two years ago.

gregsm
UD Class: 0

Post by gregsm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Did pitcher Jack Dubec, opt out for this season? I see he's not listed on roster

UDFootballFan

Post by UDFootballFan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 am

4 game conference series & Sherm has only used 2 starters all year. Should be interesting to see who gets the ball