50th Aniversary 1972 National Championship Team

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
RamblinRec
UD Class: 1975

Re: 50th Aniversary 1972 National Championship Team

Post by RamblinRec » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:39 am

I remember going to the 82 Temple game at Franklin Field, and a buddy of mine had just got out of the Navy, he went as well. My buddy had a long trench coat with a heavy duty lining inside. We managed to put a case of 7 oz Millers in the lining and get him through the turnstiles without them clanking. Oh the memories!

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:46 pm

Northern Michigan was such an interesting game. NMU was the home team, as it had been snowing in Marquette since the late 1960’s, and their field was unplayable. They wore their home jerseys, which looked like the packers. It was really cold. The DS crowd, which wasn’t large for the time (though considerably larger than whatever UD announced, so as to avoid paying the ncaa any more than necessary) was really animated that day. We’d have been considerable underdogs, as I think nmu was coming off a national title), but played over our heads for most of the day. NMU ran a sneaky (now quite illegal) play in which the green and gold all clustered on the sideline, as they put ten in the huddle. Before the snap, one of the packers stepped onto the field to be the 11th. He was completely undefended, and caught a long touchdown pass that turned the tide. I still root against them.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:50 pm

Maineroad wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:46 pm
Northern Michigan was such an interesting game. NMU was the home team, as it had been snowing in Marquette since the late 1960’s, and their field was unplayable. They wore their home jerseys, which looked like the packers. It was really cold. The DS crowd, which wasn’t large for the time (though considerably larger than whatever UD announced, so as to avoid paying the ncaa any more than necessary) was really animated that day. We’d have been considerable underdogs, as I think nmu was coming off a national title), but played over our heads for most of the day. NMU ran a sneaky (now quite illegal) play in which the green and gold all clustered on the sideline, as they put ten in the huddle. Before the snap, one of the packers stepped onto the field to be the 11th. He was completely undefended, and caught a long touchdown pass that turned the tide. I still root against them.
That happened right in front of us unfortunately nobody on Defense noticed the WR lurking around the sideline (he never went in the huddle which caused alot of fury). Their QB that day was future NFL HC of the 49'ers and Lions, Steve Mariucci.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:52 pm

It would have been interesting to know who my dad’s favorite players were. I really have no idea. I know Keeler came to the funeral, which was nice. So did Dave Raymond, in his Phanatic Mobile. Lol. I did not go to the YSU game, so I followed along with you on the radio. My dad wasn’t much of a “fan.” It just wasn’t his way, but you have indeed identified several of the moments when he appeared to become one. I would add the Jay Hooks catch at Nova, the Larry Wagner catch at William and Mary, and Craig Carrol’s wheel rout TD against Colgate to that list.
Last edited by Maineroad on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm

I did not know that. Good to know his life was filled with pain, well, at least the lions part. Lol.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:59 pm

Maineroad wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:52 pm
It would have been interesting to know who my dad’s favorite players were. I really have no idea. I know Keeler came to the funeral, which was nice. So did Dave Raymond, in his Phanatic Mobile. Lol. I did not go to the YSU game, so I followed along with you on the radio. My dad wasn’t much of a “fan.” It just wasn’t his way, but you have indeed identified several of the moments when he appeared to become one. I would add the Jay Hooks catch at Nova, the Larry Wagner catch at William and Mary, and Craig Carrol’s wheel rout TD against Colgate to that list.
Your Dad was a GREAT Play by Play announcer and had a distinct style. When I listened to the Away games I always felt like I was at the game myself. I also loved his work with Delaware Park. I remember chatting with him for a brief moment back in the day as he was going back to his spot in the DelPark press area. Great memories
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:04 pm

He remains one of the best play by play guys I’ve ever heard. He turned down the Phillies a bunch of times, and was apparently offered the Notre Dame gig in 69 or 70. My father made odd choices. Lol.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:08 pm

We are glad he stayed around

Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:42 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:08 pm
We are glad he stayed around
Amen, I became a Hen fan while listening to Maineroad’s Dad while I was still in high school before attending UD. To this day, he is still my favorite play-by-play announcer.

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:18 pm

Mine too. We were blessed. Phieffer was an excellent side-kick as well. He was a bitter side-kick, but a good one nonetheless. Which is no swipe at holmquist or mees or Warner. I just thought bill was a real good foil for my dad, and he liked doing the stuff my dad didn’t much care for, particularly pregame.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:25 pm

Maineroad wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:18 pm
Mine too. We were blessed. Phieffer was an excellent side-kick as well. He was a bitter side-kick, but a good one nonetheless. Which is no swipe at holmquist or mees or Warner. I just thought bill was a real good foil for my dad, and he liked doing the stuff my dad didn’t much care for, particularly pregame.
Good memories. Certain people have great voices and personalities that come through via radio. Your father was one of those folks.
Ryan Carty - you were a part of UD’s 2003 football championship with KC Keeler, and a part of Sammy’s 2021 Championship with KC Keeler. Bring some of that winning magic back to our Hens!

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:59 am

Maineroad wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:46 pm
Wasn’t that play called a sideline sleeper play? Even at the time, Dave Nelson said the play was illegal quoting a rule which stated that a team couldn’t make substitutions the purpose of which was to confuse the opponent. Remember that Nelson was a longtime member of the NCAA football rules committee. Today NMU still plays in NCAA Div 2 and still wears Packer uniforms.

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:04 pm

Nelson literally wrote the NCAA football rulebook at the time, so I'm thinking he would know. I may gotten the facts wrong, as it's possible that NMU broke the huddle with 11, and had a guy sprint "off," who never actually left the field, disappearing into a sea of green and gold over on the far side. It might have been the most animated I had ever seen Nelson. It was, at best, a bush league play of dubious legality.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Lots of old Hen games on YouTube but nothing at Delaware Stadium until 1982

Anything before that are road games (Nova, Lehigh) and some Board walk bowls, even the 1947 Cigar bowl

Would love to see the 1974 UNLV game and many others
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019