Poll: Who Are You Rooting For? SDS or SHS

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

FCS Title Game: Your Rooting Interest

Poll ended at Fri May 14, 2021 6:05 pm

South Dakota State
24%
Sam Houston State
76%

Total votes: 84

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: Poll: Who Are You Rooting For? SDS or SHS

Post by Gannonfan » Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm

UD27 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:29 am
Hengrad07 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 pm

You still working on Tubby’s lifetime NCAA playoff records? It really shouldn’t take you that long to pull it together 🙄
There was more to Delaware football than just ‘playoff wins’, the regular season also mattered, a lot. In KC’s eleven years with the Hens he produced a woeful 6 seasons with just 6 or less wins. In Tubby’s 36 years of coaching the Hens, he had only 7 seasons with 6 or less wins and one of those 6 win seasons came in a 9 game schedule. KC’s playoff success is to be lauded, but his regular season record is not something you can ignore.
So glad that we went that route and decided to go a whole decade without a playoff win. :roll:

It's interesting, I don't ever see a banner or a sign anywhere at the stadium that refers to "Number of seasons with 7 or more wins" or stuff like that. I see signs that say "6 National Championships". Those are the things that matter, ultimately, is winning it all, or at least being in competition to win it all. And you can't start winning it all until you win playoff games. Since he got fired from here, he's coached 7 seasons - one is still going on and he's in the championship game, he went to the semifinals in 3 other years and the quarterfinals in another. That's pretty darned successful. If his replacements here had done that we'd be working on the bronze head sculptures right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon May 10, 2021 12:21 pm

UD27 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm
Agreed, the transfer issue, at both the FCS and the FBS is an accepted practice in today’s college football. Players are moving around like never before.
Yup, the sport is entirely different than even just 5 years ago. When that QB from Eastern Washington gave up his senior year at EWU because he could play QB for Oregon for a year, you knew it was different.

UD27

Post by UD27 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
UD27 wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 pm

You still working on Tubby’s lifetime NCAA playoff records? It really shouldn’t take you that long to pull it together 🙄
There was more to Delaware football than just ‘playoff wins’, the regular season also mattered, a lot. In KC’s eleven years with the Hens he produced a woeful 6 seasons with just 6 or less wins. In Tubby’s 36 years of coaching the Hens, he had only 7 seasons with 6 or less wins and one of those 6 win seasons came in a 9 game schedule. KC’s playoff success is to be lauded, but his regular season record is not something you can ignore.
So glad that we went that route and decided to go a whole decade without a playoff win. :roll:

It's interesting, I don't ever see a banner or a sign anywhere at the stadium that refers to "Number of seasons with 7 or more wins" or stuff like that. I see signs that say "6 National Championships”
Sorry but I don’t excuse woefully subpar performance cover 50% of time and that’s what occurred during the Keeler rollercoaster tenure. If you are good enough to get to three championships games, why the hell weren’t you good enough to produce some semblance of consistency in your program?
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 pm

UD27 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Gannonfan wrote:
UD27 wrote:

It's interesting, I don't ever see a banner or a sign anywhere at the stadium that refers to "Number of seasons with 7 or more wins" or stuff like that. I see signs that say "6 National Championships”
Sorry but I don’t excuse woefully subpar performance cover 50% of time and that’s what occurred during the Keeler rollercoaster tenure. If you are good enough to get to three championships games, why the hell weren’t you good enough to produce some semblance of consistency in your program?
That's okay, we'll always have the distinction of firing the guy who will have the most playoff wins in FCS history, is 30-0 at home in the playoffs, and who's a shoo-in for the HOF, because we didn't like a few seasons (and let's be honest, he wasn't fired for anything on the field - he was fired because the President at the time didn't want sports, and specifically football, to be a significant factor at this University, and because enough mouth breathers behind the scenes didn't feel like they were getting enough attention and they lashed out). Would've been nice to give him time to work out the rollercoaster thing, which apparently he's done with deep runs in the playoffs over 5 of the last 7 years, while he was still here rather than figuring it out and succeeding for another university, but hey, the Red Sox sold off Babe Ruth so I guess we can join than pantheon of teams/programs that couldn't see the big picture.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:06 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 pm
UD27 wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:

That's okay, we'll always have the distinction of firing the guy who will have the most playoff wins in FCS history, is 30-0 at home in the playoffs, and who's a shoo-in for the HOF, because we didn't like a few seasons (and let's be honest, he wasn't fired for anything on the field - he was fired because the President at the time didn't want sports, and specifically football, to be a significant factor at this University, and because enough mouth breathers behind the scenes didn't feel like they were getting enough attention and they lashed out). Would've been nice to give him time to work out the rollercoaster thing, which apparently he's done with deep runs in the playoffs over 5 of the last 7 years, while he was still here rather than figuring it out and succeeding for another university, but hey, the Red Sox sold off Babe Ruth so I guess we can join than pantheon of teams/programs that couldn't see the big picture.
Yep GF to all but especially liked the “mouth breathers” reference. There were many and some continue today. If it wasn’t bad enough that UD fired KC when and why they did, with what has transpired in this last decade, you would think some of these guys would be shamed in just shutting up, but alas. Sign of the times I guess. Wonder if KC’s HOF bust will go between Nelson’s and Tubby’s or UD will keep them in chronological order?

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm

I listened to the Keeler post game show. Seems as though if we are going to take his comments as gospel about UD then we can conclude Keeler was "blackballed" and Danny Rocco is a phenomenal football coach.

I believe KC . One comment is irrelevant since at 62 he will never coach another Blue Hen football team and the other ends the ongoing debate concerning the abilities of our current coach.

Is there any reason we can't now move forward on this board putting the past where it belongs and supporting our current coach and the 2021 team this fall ?

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Mon May 10, 2021 1:42 pm

If you listen to KC Keeler, you will notice he is always thanking his administration at Sam Houston for providing him the things he needs to succeed.

That is no accident.

UD promise much and delivered little. Harker came in talking a big game...and then sunk the ship. He, and his followers, stabbed Keeler in the back and brought down UD football.

Thank goodness Rocco has Assanis and Rawak (she sends personal e-mails at 7:55pm on weekdays...now that is how you win fans and gain respect)...those two are providing everything and more that our Blue Hens need to succeed.

It was fun to go to the stadium and watch the Hens. They are a good group of student athletes. Looking forward to next year...the CAA is wide open.
Nice run, Hens! :D

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:42 pm
If you listen to KC Keeler, you will notice he is always thanking his administration at Sam Houston for providing him the things he needs to succeed.

That is no accident.

UD promise much and delivered little. Harker came in talking a big game...and then sunk the ship. He, and his followers, stabbed Keeler in the back and brought down UD football.

Thank goodness Rocco has Assanis and Rawak (she sends personal e-mails at 7:55pm on weekdays...now that is how you win fans and gain respect)...those two are providing everything and more that our Blue Hens need to succeed.

It was fun to go to the stadium and watch the Hens. They are a good group of student athletes. Looking forward to next year...the CAA is wide open.
I believe it was year 1 of KC being there that he compared the administration support to that of Roselle and Johnson. Similar to Rocco and MI always thanking Assanis and Rawak. Administrative support makes all the difference.

Bandwagon

Post by Bandwagon » Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 am

UD27 wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:
UD27 wrote:

Ask a stupid question such as…” why the hell weren’t you good enough to produce some semblance of consistency in your program?”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think causes the differences in one season from another, the Head Coach?
If you think that, then you’ve never been in charge of anything that depends on many different things to go your way to be successful during a specific year!

Some people think that just because one season goes as everyone had hoped (like winning a NC), the next season automatically should do the same and if it doesn’t, it must be the fault of the Head Coach!
Do those people actually think that the Head Coach “FORGOT” everything he knows about how to coach his team?

The explanation of why one season will differ from the next can be told as simple as this…
Crap Happens at any given moment!
- The Quarterback goes down for a long period of time and the true Freshman back-up isn’t ready for prime time!
- A senior leader on the offensive line, who also is the best run and pass blocker, breaks his leg during the third game of the season
and is done… oh, and he also happens to be the center, so he makes all the line calls for the other four guys to know what to
do during every play! We don’t have any 2nd team guy who’s good enough to replace that kind of player without a tremendous
drop in performance!
- The returning senior All-Conference place kicker, who made 98% of all his kicks during his junior year, misses a 28-yard field goal
on the final play that not only would’ve won the game, it would've won the Conference championship!
- This particular season, the team starts with 63 players on scholarship as usual, and due to freak plays, crazy circumstances and
stupid things that 20-year-old college kids do…the season ends with only 38 scholarship players that were able to play the final
3 games! Which meant that only 60% of the players on scholarship were able to finish the season!

Think that all of this is just excuses?
Think that stuff like this really doesn’t happen?
Think again!
This kind of thing happens all the time, to all teams…it’s often just how lucky is your team when it comes to avoiding the stuff that is a season killer!

So, it could be…
- We didn’t lose 60% of the scholarship players this particular year, we only lost 6%!
- The chemistry on the team for that year was fantastic, everyone did everything together and what a difference that made
from the year before, when the team was a mass of cliques and just wouldn’t respond to the team building training that
worked so well two years ago when the coach implemented it!
- We were the least penalized team in the conference because that team had such great discipline and leadership!

The whole point is this, every coach tries to control the variables…some years it’s manageable but some years it’s troublesome!
If there are people that think it’s easy to do, I'll tell you what…try gathering 100 young men together and have them train, eat,
practice and virtually live together for 5 months.
And by the way, tell 37 of the 100 guys that they have to pay with their own money to be a part of this!

It would be interesting to see how many of the critics would ever attempt to do this, and if they did, how long they
could last?

Then afterward, would that stop the second-guessing and criticizing of the coach as if they have all the answers?
Sadly, it's doubtful!

dc

Post by dc » Tue May 11, 2021 2:30 am

SHS for three reasons. A ring for Ryan Carty. A ring for Siddiq Haynes. And a ring for KC Keeler. Three Hen brothers in the championship game and I'm rooting for their opponent? No way.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 am

dc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:30 am
SHS for three reasons. A ring for Ryan Carty. A ring for Siddiq Haynes. And a ring for KC Keeler. Three Hen brothers in the championship game and I'm rooting for their opponent? No way.
THIS.
Nice run, Hens! :D

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue May 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Henzone wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm
I listened to the Keeler post game show. Seems as though if we are going to take his comments as gospel about UD then we can conclude Keeler was "blackballed" and Danny Rocco is a phenomenal football coach.

I believe KC . One comment is irrelevant since at 62 he will never coach another Blue Hen football team and the other ends the ongoing debate concerning the abilities of our current coach.

Is there any reason we can't now move forward on this board putting the past where it belongs and supporting our current coach and the 2021 team this fall ?
Tubby coached into his 70's so who knows
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Bandwagon

Post by Bandwagon » Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Henzone wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm

So…Hz,
Suddenly, you’re making a request for everyone to move forward on this board and put the past behind us, huh?
I’m curious, why is that?

Could it be you don’t want to see any posts on the Go Hens site about the Keeler coached Sam Houston State Bearkats playing and quite possibly winning, the National Championship game and all the accolades that would follow that occurrence?

Yeah, based on your past attitude toward KC, that seems more like the reason you’re calling for supporting the current coach, eh?
Wonder where that desire for supporting the current coach was 10 years ago?

I'll tell you what, as long as you continue to post the negative crap regarding Keeler that you’ve posted on these message boards for years, you’ll continue to see people that have half a brain support him!

So, if you want the Keeler topic to stop, I suggest that you discontinue your deleterious rants of Keeler bashing and just maybe, you’ll get your wish!

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 am

Sam Houston State

KC really has them playing an exciting brand of football with tons of talent and speed. Sammy is known for the high powered offense but this year Keeler has really put together an athletic and physical Defense with six players on the first team Southland all Conference team.

Beating FCS powerhouses North Dakota State and James Madison on the way to the title game is a big accomplishment and something Delaware should take note on.

When you’re humble enough to know that players win games you can go out and bring in a receiver from the Ivy league and a receiver from Howard, making the playoffs is one thing but being good enough to win national championships, which KC has always prioritized, requires a different level of talent, You need at least one Ezzard.

South Dakota State will bring the best oline in the country into Frisco
And that will be a very interesting battle in the trenches. And they are
Playing lights out Behind a true freshman stud quarterback Gronowski

Sammy QB Schmid, who is fast, Will need to be fast because he’s probably going to be running for his life in this game. We saw Saturday South Dakota State likes to bring the house and make a quarterback miserable

Also Schmid is a little bit schizophrenic meaning he has a few series or where things don’t go so well. He will have to be symptom-free for the full 60 minutes if Sam Houston State is going to win this game

I know South Dakota State is a slight favorite but I see this game as a pick em

But in the end, I’ve been rolling the dice on Sam Houston State all year and they haven’t let me down yet

Sam Houston 30
S Dakota St. 24
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Wed May 12, 2021 9:02 am

Again, I am happy for KC. Any criticism I had for him 12 years ago was based on my ignorance of FCS football and how it worked. Mentally I was still existing in the "glory years". You really can't argue with his success at SHSU. He has shown that he is a more than capable FCS coach (and that is probably understatement). However KC is gone and never coming back. Let it go. What should concern/worry all of us who are Blue Hens is how badly the UD screwed up football for the last decade and hope that the program is really on the mend. Worry that we don't get individuals on the BOT that allow that demolition of the football program to ever occur again. I believe that the administration now reporting to the BOT (Assanis and Rawak) have the real best interests of the football program (and athletics in general) at heart. If they don't see continued improvement, I hope and believe they will act accordingly.