Next Step

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: Next Step

Post by Cluck U » Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am

Figured I'd put this article in this thread...a very solid article regarding the portal challenges/roster management decisions that coaches face.

Hope we don't lose any players...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... t-tougher/
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am
Figured I'd put this article in this thread...a very solid article regarding the portal challenges/roster management decisions that coaches face.

Great article!

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm

mpwerrell wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm
Cluck U wrote:

Great article!
Was interesting to read about how the different coaches were handling the new rules...and the potential impact on high school recruits. That one coach seemed to simply not want to recruit much HS talent. :shock:

Teams/coaches/administrations are going to have to make their schools more attractive and build student athlete relationships along the lines of families even more than ever in order to keep talented players.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Thu May 20, 2021 5:20 am

Cluck U wrote:

Wow great article and thanks for sharing. Boy things have changed.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Tue May 25, 2021 12:11 pm

ESPN article about kids transferring/the portal/poaching is somewhat similar to the one I posted above...but with additional details.

One point (among many other good observations made) in the article was that sometimes a player's high school teammates/friends are recruiting their friends to come play with them on their team. Someone mentioned that South Carolina seems to have a pipeline in the state of Delaware...perhaps those area players are talking with each other.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ree-agency

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:59 pm

Relates to basketball, but some comments from Geno on the portal.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... 15016/mess

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm
Caribe, I would love to see Fry come in and compete. He's a super talented kid. Would be interesting.
I have no idea if staff looked into getting Fry into UD, but I believe he would’ve given us a better chance to win given the current situation at QB

Fry was a playmaker at Wesley
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 am

"Fry was a playmaker at Wesley"

Was he? I followed Wesley a little after Drass died and I don't him recall making a big impression down there

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:10 am

dovetail wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 am
"Fry was a playmaker at Wesley"

Was he? I followed Wesley a little after Drass died and I don't him recall making a big impression down there
From the action I saw he looked good to me, it was a playoff game

Strong arm and could throw on the run and improvise

Small sampling by me, but great first impression
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:36 pm

The next step is to win at Stony Brook. Period.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:38 pm

jd of de wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:36 pm
The next step is to win at Stony Brook. Period.
We need to Win AND play well. Good solid football game in all three phases and Gwynn picking us up so we are in a good place for that Homecoming game.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:27 pm

No, the next step is a good practice tomorrow.

Wait...the next step is for the players to get a good night's sleep tonight.

No...the next step is the players need a good dinner tonight, followed by some mental balancing to find their happy place.

Next step... :lol:

No, the next step isn't to just win Saturday...period. I mean, c'mon man, we need to see more than that.

As HENJOHN said, we have to start playing well and seeing progress. If we win while looking like crap, then that isn't progress...at least not REAL progress, and it will foreshadow a crappy future for the rest of this year when we are to face better teams. Sure, the record will improve with a win, but we are playing a crappy team and should win. Eeking out a win while playing shytty football is not progress. Show our fans some real progress that shows some kind of improvement.