Next Step

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Next Step

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue May 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Housthen18 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:21 pm
wacko4flacco wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am
I don’t know what to make out of a season where a third of the teams bailed due to Covid, strength of schedule, whatever, BUT I do think the Hens made real progress this year. Give the kids a lot of praise for keeping the discipline to not allow Covid to wreck the season, and give the coaches credit too.

Pros:

**Henderson is a special talent and we have him two more seasons.
**Rojas has made a huge difference and D keeps you in games
**The recruiting has improved
** Rocco is a good, albeit not a great coach. He knows his stuff but is too conservative for my liking. We could do worse.
** I think we can have some really special tight end play in the next two years. DeMaile is special
** our kicker is going to be a big plus for years
** culturally things seem better, credit the coaches. Culturally we sucked for a decade.

What we need to be a championship team:

**More athletic stronger lines on both sides of the ball. Look at 2003/2007/2010 and the lines, especially o lines were very good. We haven’t been good since and JMU and North Dakota state have dominated FCS football for a decade and this area stands out more than any other to me. Yesterday SDSU was light years better on both lines. Recruit em, transfer them, but we need better. Big is not necessarily better. I saw better athletes dominate some big guys in the o line yesterday.

** I love Henderson, don’t get me wrong, but we need a strong #2 who can throw and keep defenses honest. Henderson is just too slight and that’s not a knock on him, but you need a good second qb. I don’t know if Paoletti can throw the ball at this level but your backup needs to be able to do more than a 3 yard 32 dive out of a wildcat.

** did I mention the game is won at the line of scrimmage?
Re the #2 play, are we sure Gwynn can't run the offense effectively? He didn't look back during the one series against JSU and I couldn't evaluate him against SDSU because he was immediately getting swallowed up by defenders. Nolan only was able to make some plays by using his legs but Gwynn obviously isn't that kind of QB. I don't even think Tom Brady could have worked with the pocket time our QBs were given.
Is Gwynn better than Fry?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Caribe, I would love to see Fry come in and compete. He's a super talented kid. Would be interesting.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

ColoradoHen
UD Class: 1977

Post by ColoradoHen » Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm

First and foremost, congrats to the team and staff. What a great spring season that hopefully becomes a springboard for the upcoming Fall. Hoping the SDSU beat down provides the realization that much hard work is still required to reach their ultimate goals of reaching the next level. I think KT’s article from today was spot on in his assessment.

Playing those two games against NDSU showed us in spades the team model needed to compete at that level. SDSU and Sammy have already learned and acknowledge that lesson and now showing positive results by not only competing with, but beating NDSU. With that model, dominating Line play on both sides of the ball is what’s required for the next step. That allows for both a consistent ground game and provides the QB time to go through pass progressions. Seems to me just basic hard-nosed football, no rocket science involved.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm
Caribe, I would love to see Fry come in and compete. He's a super talented kid. Would be interesting.
I agree HJ

Rocco should be all over Fry
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 am

[quote="Caribbean Hen" post_id=386988 time=1620790449 user_id=47]
[quote=HENJOHN post_id=386977 time=1620773608 user_id=67]
[/quote]

I agree HJ

[/quote]

Isn’t Dale Fry in his 60s?

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed May 12, 2021 5:28 am

dchen wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 pm
HENJOHN wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm
I agree HJ

Isn’t Dale Fry in his 60s?
It's his son DREW who was an All State QB at Middletown and played briefly at Wesley. He's around 6-3,215. His dad is in his early 50s.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 am

Is Fry the kid from a few years back who was having some off field issues and that was why we didn't make him an offer? From what I remember a lot of guys on this board were super high on him. That would be a great pick up for us because we desperately need a back up QB who doesn't just hold down the fort or manage a game. We need real depth and someone who can come into a game and be a game changer. We've finally found a starting QB but he plays football like a maniac...I mean that in the best way possible, now we have to have some depth where the drop off between starter and back up isn't astronomical.

We need a center, an RT, and more consistency from Brown on the OL. Hoping Prince asserts himself next season. Mick adds some nice depth but really struggled against top competition as did Trent and you see it in the significant decline in Lee's numbers. Brown has the skill he just needs to do it more consistently.

But the most important step is keeping the band together. The transfer portal is so jammed up now that you'd either have to have another program guaranteeing your acceptance (which I think is illegal) or an absolute buffoon like a former RB not worth mentioning. The fall looks good gentlemen.
The Dude Abides!

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Wed May 12, 2021 8:26 am

Here's what Kevin Tres has to say about our QB and OL for this fall.............

" Paoletti played a valuable role that could be expanded. Zach Gwynn handled his back-up role well on the several occasions the former Salesianum School standout and East Carolina walk-on stepped in for Henderson. Delaware also has great faith in recent quarterback recruits Cade Pribula and Deven Bollinger.
Others need to be ready to step in and perform, just in case, and to also better prepare Delaware for the future
Fourth-year starting left tackle David Kroll and center Mickey Henry were playing after having been limited in practice due to injuries. Starting right guard Carter Lynch was returning after missing two games with an injury."

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 am

From what little we saw of Gwynn, he at least seems to have a pretty decent arm. And Paoletti certainly has grown quite a bit and could be a very decent option as a backup. I don't see the angst right now regarding the backups to Henderson. No one's going to be an exact replacement, but that's never a realistic goal. But both guys look decent enough that we shouldn't be banging on the panic button.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 am

HenZoneNation wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 am
Is Fry the kid from a few years back who was having some off field issues and that was why we didn't make him an offer? From what I remember a lot of guys on this board were super high on him. That would be a great pick up for us because we desperately need a back up QB who doesn't just hold down the fort or manage a game. We need real depth and someone who can come into a game and be a game changer. We've finally found a starting QB but he plays football like a maniac...I mean that in the best way possible, now we have to have some depth where the drop off between starter and back up isn't astronomical.
If we had two all world QBs, one would transfer elsewhere for some playing time...especially these days, when it is so easy to transfer.

And besides a local kid wanting to transfer back home, it will be hard for Delaware to attract a quality back up QB. Despite a couple early season blow outs, we never got to see what Gwynn can do. It is Rocco's way...he simply does not give his back up QBs any serious playing time. Rocco hasn't done it at any time during his coaching time here, so why expect a change? Seriously...Henderson sat. That is all anyone needs to know.
Nice run, Hens! :D

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am

Competition baby. Nothing like it to push you.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Practice is where backup QB's show what they can do. That's how it works in college football .

#2 QB total passes thrown this season:

Delaware- 10
Villanova-6
South Dakota St-4
Sammy- 3
Last edited by Henzone on Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am
THIS! You don't need two world beaters but you do need to have someone who isn't just a fill in. You look back at 2011, that was a playoff team if the QB situation wasn't what it was. No knock on Donnelly but like Kehoe, he just wasn't good enough to start and maintain success against good teams and it cost us a lot and often. I don't think Gwynn was bad accept when he got in against SDSU and who knows maybe he is the guy...but it's too important a position and we had too much bad history of late when it comes to it for my comfort. Isn't Fry a local kid as well? I love Paoletti exactly where he is only keep the defense honest a bit and let him throw it at least once.

The center and RT are a problem. I felt bad for Trent Saturday. Henry has been up and down and I think that has a lot to do with the level of competition.

I think the fall looks bright guys...here's hoping.
The Dude Abides!

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed May 12, 2021 1:35 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am
this here!

if there is a chance to improve the team, you take it! Get talent on roster

I don't know how many years of eligibility Fry would have right now... would hate to see that kid beat us one day

and this is just speculation but you never know what FBS coach might be trolling for Nolan right now...

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 6:48 pm

bluehenjeff wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 pm
Cluck U wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm
The next step?

Getting better talent and more depth...and better coaching.

Rocco's exits from the FCS playoffs have not been pretty.

2014: 36-15 loss in the second round versus Coastal Carolina...Coastal lost in the next round.
2015: 33-7 loss to NDSU in the semi-finals...NDSU won the chipper.
2016: 38-0 loss to EWU in the Quarterfinals....EWU lost in the next round.
2018: 20-6 first round loss to JMU, who got bounced in the next round by a bad Colgate team.
2020/21: 33-3 loss to SDSU in the semi finals.

5 playoff game exits...15, 7, 0, 6 and 3 points for Rocco's teams. Those last four games...with a total of 16 points...is worrisome.

We need a bigger and much better OL, some more DL help, and much better play calling.

But, we have some talent and the team seems to have a good attitude, so there is a lot to build on. Let's just hope Rocco is able to make some changes to his ways, because his history says he isn't going to bring us home a title doing it his way.
You are clueless. U must have for gotten Brose and Hal. We have plenty of talent on the DL. Brose and hall need to play this spring. Add mactamara to that.
bluehenjeff, is McNamara a DL or a LB at UD?