Next Step

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Next Step

Post by UDFootballFan » Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 am

Besides finding the right players (OL etc)....what needs do happen to get UD to the next step & play in Frisco? Do we need wholesale changes in the staff?

Personally I think Rocco needs to go & if not him, the entire Offense staff. From Ambrose to the line coaches) ...like many have said they started great but regressed as the season went on.

I want UD football to get back to where making the playoffs isn’t a great job but an expectation.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Re: Next Step

Post by UD '01 grad » Sun May 09, 2021 10:50 am

I'd get pretty comfortable if you're waiting for Rocco to be fired. He's bought himself some time I would think.

Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:51 am

I don’t think there is any world in which Rocco is fired following the most successful Delaware season in over a decade.

Honestly when Rocco says he is looking to be consistently relevant, or whatever his exact words were, he is accurately understanding his job expectations. This program is a historical football power which has bled attendance and student body support for the past 10+ years. Rawak and Assanis (to whatever extent he cares about athletics) probably aren’t expecting an immediate chip, but a return to national prominence.

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am

I don’t know what to make out of a season where a third of the teams bailed due to Covid, strength of schedule, whatever, BUT I do think the Hens made real progress this year. Give the kids a lot of praise for keeping the discipline to not allow Covid to wreck the season, and give the coaches credit too.

Pros:

**Henderson is a special talent and we have him two more seasons.
**Rojas has made a huge difference and D keeps you in games
**The recruiting has improved
** Rocco is a good, albeit not a great coach. He knows his stuff but is too conservative for my liking. We could do worse.
** I think we can have some really special tight end play in the next two years. DeMaile is special
** our kicker is going to be a big plus for years
** culturally things seem better, credit the coaches. Culturally we sucked for a decade.

What we need to be a championship team:

**More athletic stronger lines on both sides of the ball. Look at 2003/2007/2010 and the lines, especially o lines were very good. We haven’t been good since and JMU and North Dakota state have dominated FCS football for a decade and this area stands out more than any other to me. Yesterday SDSU was light years better on both lines. Recruit em, transfer them, but we need better. Big is not necessarily better. I saw better athletes dominate some big guys in the o line yesterday.

** I love Henderson, don’t get me wrong, but we need a strong #2 who can throw and keep defenses honest. Henderson is just too slight and that’s not a knock on him, but you need a good second qb. I don’t know if Paoletti can throw the ball at this level but your backup needs to be able to do more than a 3 yard 32 dive out of a wildcat.

** did I mention the game is won at the line of scrimmage?
Last edited by wacko4flacco on Sun May 09, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am

UDFootballFan wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 am
Besides finding the right players (OL etc)....what needs do happen to get UD to the next step & play in Frisco? Do we need wholesale changes in the staff?

Personally I think Rocco needs to go & if not him, the entire Offense staff. From Ambrose to the line coaches) ...like many have said they started great but regressed as the season went on.

I want UD football to get back to where making the playoffs isn’t a great job but an expectation.
I refer you to a quote by the late Joe C

look below

the line play was very much improved over 2019, we need to be healthy and continue to build on it, the Oline coach is a keeper
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 am

“This season was extraordinary,” Rocco said after the game, “and I am not gonna let this moment in time dictate how I evaluate what was accomplished here this year with our program.”

Kind of hard to do the same as a fan from where I sit. Why doesn't everyone just enjoy 7 wins out of 8 games and start ramping up 3 months from now?

I repeat myself. If Sammy can get walloped 65-7 and come back and beat the same team then there is hope for the '21 Hens to indeed be special.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sun May 09, 2021 11:52 am

I'll be Captain Obvious here- 3 ways the season could have gone. A loser, middle of the road, or win. We won and in the process got some great experience time for underclassmen moving up. I believe that will pay dividends this fall and we will see a much better performance than we would have had if the season had been played last fall. Now comes the downside. Do we all believe that we saw the same level of play among CAA teams that we would have in a true, fall season? We didn't play that many games. Therefore do the wins this spring season and playoff performance mean as much as they normally might. Are we really "back" in prominence? The thing that struck me yesterday was the extremely poor line play on both sides of the ball against a good team from the Missouri Valley Conference. I saw a comment on here that said Rocco may have cemented his position here. I still think it puts UD in the awkward position of potentially renewing Rocco's contract for a long period of time(albeit after a great spring season) when to my mind some doubts might still remain. A good performance this fall should clear up any doubt, but a bad one may mean we are stuck with mediocrity for a longer period of time.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun May 09, 2021 11:59 am

Henzone wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 am

I repeat myself. If Sammy can get walloped 65-7 and come back and beat the same team then there is hope for the '21 Hens to indeed be special.
Yep, you gotta give the Sammy Head coach some credit on this... Let's see if Rocco can learn from his fine example
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Hard to argue that this spring season didn't exceeded all of our expectations. Having said that, we need to ensure we remain relevant this fall. Slipping back to 6 and 5 with a 20+ loss to Nova to end another non-playoff season would not be good. We've got a number of tough games on the schedule including JMU, Richmond, W&M, Villanova, and Maine...and don't forget about Big 10 Rutgers. To me, 8 and 3 with a playoff appearance is a must if we want to keep this train moving forward. Let's get healthy, get stronger, and back at it later this summer...Fear the Bird!!!

Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:21 pm

wacko4flacco wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am
I don’t know what to make out of a season where a third of the teams bailed due to Covid, strength of schedule, whatever, BUT I do think the Hens made real progress this year. Give the kids a lot of praise for keeping the discipline to not allow Covid to wreck the season, and give the coaches credit too.

Pros:

**Henderson is a special talent and we have him two more seasons.
**Rojas has made a huge difference and D keeps you in games
**The recruiting has improved
** Rocco is a good, albeit not a great coach. He knows his stuff but is too conservative for my liking. We could do worse.
** I think we can have some really special tight end play in the next two years. DeMaile is special
** our kicker is going to be a big plus for years
** culturally things seem better, credit the coaches. Culturally we sucked for a decade.

What we need to be a championship team:

**More athletic stronger lines on both sides of the ball. Look at 2003/2007/2010 and the lines, especially o lines were very good. We haven’t been good since and JMU and North Dakota state have dominated FCS football for a decade and this area stands out more than any other to me. Yesterday SDSU was light years better on both lines. Recruit em, transfer them, but we need better. Big is not necessarily better. I saw better athletes dominate some big guys in the o line yesterday.

** I love Henderson, don’t get me wrong, but we need a strong #2 who can throw and keep defenses honest. Henderson is just too slight and that’s not a knock on him, but you need a good second qb. I don’t know if Paoletti can throw the ball at this level but your backup needs to be able to do more than a 3 yard 32 dive out of a wildcat.

** did I mention the game is won at the line of scrimmage?
Re the #2 play, are we sure Gwynn can't run the offense effectively? He didn't look back during the one series against JSU and I couldn't evaluate him against SDSU because he was immediately getting swallowed up by defenders. Nolan only was able to make some plays by using his legs but Gwynn obviously isn't that kind of QB. I don't even think Tom Brady could have worked with the pocket time our QBs were given.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm

The next step?

Getting better talent and more depth...and better coaching.

Rocco's exits from the FCS playoffs have not been pretty.

2014: 36-15 loss in the second round versus Coastal Carolina...Coastal lost in the next round.
2015: 33-7 loss to NDSU in the semi-finals...NDSU won the chipper.
2016: 38-0 loss to EWU in the Quarterfinals....EWU lost in the next round.
2018: 20-6 first round loss to JMU, who got bounced in the next round by a bad Colgate team.
2020/21: 33-3 loss to SDSU in the semi finals.

5 playoff game exits...15, 7, 0, 6 and 3 points for Rocco's teams. Those last four games...with a total of 16 points...is worrisome.

We need a bigger and much better OL, some more DL help, and much better play calling.

But, we have some talent and the team seems to have a good attitude, so there is a lot to build on. Let's just hope Rocco is able to make some changes to his ways, because his history says he isn't going to bring us home a title doing it his way.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

bluehenjeff
UD Class: 1985

Post by bluehenjeff » Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm
The next step?

2014: 36-15 loss in the second round versus Coastal Carolina...Coastal lost in the next round.
2018: 20-6 first round loss to JMU, who got bounced in the next round by a bad Colgate team.

5 playoff game exits...15, 7, 0, 6 and 3 points for Rocco's teams. Those last four games...with a total of 16 points...is worrisome.

We need a bigger and much better OL, some more DL help, and much better play calling.

But, we have some talent and the team seems to have a good attitude, so there is a lot to build on. Let's just hope Rocco is able to make some changes to his ways, because his history says he isn't going to bring us home a title doing it his way.
You are clueless. U must have for gotten Brose and Hal. We have plenty of talent on the DL. Brose and hall need to play this spring. Add mactamara to that.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Mon May 10, 2021 1:19 pm

bluehenjeff wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 pm
Cluck U wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm
The next step?

You are clueless. U must have for gotten Brose and Hal. We have plenty of talent on the DL. Brose and hall need to play this spring. Add mactamara to that.
Oh yes, that must be it...I am clueless. :lol:

So, in the fist half, our D had one play for negative yards. I mean, our DL was DOMINATING, right?

As far as the young guys you mentioned...I hope they end up being All-Americans...but for now, they are unproven. Hall; 5 games, 4 tackles (2 solo)...none for a loss. Brose: 3 games, 2 tackles (both assists)....one TLF for -0 yards.

Happy they got some playing time...but the FACT is, they weren't good enough to make an impact this year. Maybe they will in the future, but they certainly didn't stand out enough for Rocco to play them regularly and rely on them to change a game. Of course, Rocco is stubborn, and they both may turn out to be the defensive equivalent of Henderson (who also sat behind others).

Then again, there are a ton of people who say that a bench player would be the next 1st round draft choice if he only got a chance. :lol:

In the meantime, we got beat in the trenches...badly. Sorry you didn't understand that. If you did, you'd understand we need some help on both sides of the ball (and I don't think 3 months in the weight room will change that).

Since this thread is about the NEXT STEP, and not, HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PLAYER DEVELOPMENT 3-4 YEARS FROM NOW, I think we need to bring in a couple impact players on both lines if we want to compete with the big boy teams. Otherwise, our next trip into the land of giants will result in the same type of exit.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm

So, I wandered over to the Sammy board and found this post from JackD:

"SDSU has a handful of true freshmen and red-shirt freshman who will start or see a lot of playing time. Those guys, part of outstanding recruiting years, have earned starting roles and playing time over very good players with more experience. One of the results is depth like we haven't had in the past. Another result is the team has become measurably better each game as the young players add more game experience."

Once again, I hope our young guys end up being All-Americans, but SDSU (and some other teams) apparently have freshmen that are good enough to PLAY...even good enough to displace some starters. And, their team is in the championship game instead of sitting home talking about how their young players will eventually be good enough to play.

We lament that our freshmen have to play and say they are giving effort, but aren't good enough to win a tough ballgame. SDSU, instead, are celebrating their young players taking the place of their veterans and that their veterans are providing depth. Playing good freshmen is a coaching decision...the coach has to recruit good players and then make the decision to not be stubborn and to actually play the new guys.

Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen » Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm
So, I wandered over to the Sammy board and found this post from JackD:

"SDSU has a handful of true freshmen and red-shirt freshman who will start or see a lot of playing time. Those guys, part of outstanding recruiting years, have earned starting roles and playing time over very good players with more experience. One of the results is depth like we haven't had in the past. Another result is the team has become measurably better each game as the young players add more game experience."

Once again, I hope our young guys end up being All-Americans, but SDSU (and some other teams) apparently have freshmen that are good enough to PLAY...even good enough to displace some starters. And, their team is in the championship game instead of sitting home talking about how their young players will eventually be good enough to play.

We lament that our freshmen have to play and say they are giving effort, but aren't good enough to win a tough ballgame. SDSU, instead, are celebrating their young players taking the place of their veterans and that their veterans are providing depth. Playing good freshmen is a coaching decision...the coach has to recruit good players and then make the decision to not be stubborn and to actually play the new guys.
I have often felt the need to "develop" players over 3 years to be ready to play was a copout statement. I always see other teams with true frosh or sophmore QBs starting and playing well. while we hear that our players are "young"....maybe, as Joe C said, they are just not as talented and as athletic as kids that other schools have been getting. Hopefully the WAC changes that....
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!