Next Step

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: Next Step

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:19 pm
bluehenjeff wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:11 pm
Cluck U wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm
The next step?

Getting better talent and more depth...and better coaching.

Rocco's exits from the FCS playoffs have not been pretty.

2014: 36-15 loss in the second round versus Coastal Carolina...Coastal lost in the next round.
2015: 33-7 loss to NDSU in the semi-finals...NDSU won the chipper.
2016: 38-0 loss to EWU in the Quarterfinals....EWU lost in the next round.
2018: 20-6 first round loss to JMU, who got bounced in the next round by a bad Colgate team.
2020/21: 33-3 loss to SDSU in the semi finals.

5 playoff game exits...15, 7, 0, 6 and 3 points for Rocco's teams. Those last four games...with a total of 16 points...is worrisome.

We need a bigger and much better OL, some more DL help, and much better play calling.

But, we have some talent and the team seems to have a good attitude, so there is a lot to build on. Let's just hope Rocco is able to make some changes to his ways, because his history says he isn't going to bring us home a title doing it his way.
You are clueless. U must have for gotten Brose and Hal. We have plenty of talent on the DL. Brose and hall need to play this spring. Add mactamara to that.

Oh yes, that must be it...I am clueless. :lol:

So, in the fist half, our D had one play for negative yards. I mean, our DL was DOMINATING, right?

As far as the young guys you mentioned...I hope they end up being All-Americans...but for now, they are unproven. Hall; 5 games, 4 tackles (2 solo)...none for a loss. Brose: 3 games, 2 tackles (both assists)....one TLF for -0 yards.

Happy they got some playing time...but the FACT is, they weren't good enough to make an impact this year. Maybe they will in the future, but they certainly didn't stand out enough for Rocco to play them regularly and rely on them to change a game. Of course, Rocco is stubborn, and they both may turn out to be the defensive equivalent of Henderson (who also sat behind others).

Then again, there are a ton of people who say that a bench player would be the next 1st round draft choice if he only got a chance. :lol:

In the meantime, we got beat in the trenches...badly. Sorry you didn't understand that. If you did, you'd understand we need some help on both sides of the ball (and I don't think 3 months in the weight room will change that).

Since this thread is about the NEXT STEP, and not, HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PLAYER DEVELOPMENT 3-4 YEARS FROM NOW, I think we need to bring in a couple impact players on both lines if we want to compete with the big boy teams. Otherwise, our next trip into the land of giants will result in the same type of exit.
The DL and the entire D played much better in the second half, giving up only 1 long drive and 2 FG's.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm
So, I wandered over to the Sammy board and found this post from JackD:

"SDSU has a handful of true freshmen and red-shirt freshman who will start or see a lot of playing time. Those guys, part of outstanding recruiting years, have earned starting roles and playing time over very good players with more experience. One of the results is depth like we haven't had in the past. Another result is the team has become measurably better each game as the young players add more game experience."

Once again, I hope our young guys end up being All-Americans, but SDSU (and some other teams) apparently have freshmen that are good enough to PLAY...even good enough to displace some starters. And, their team is in the championship game instead of sitting home talking about how their young players will eventually be good enough to play.

We lament that our freshmen have to play and say they are giving effort, but aren't good enough to win a tough ballgame. SDSU, instead, are celebrating their young players taking the place of their veterans and that their veterans are providing depth. Playing good freshmen is a coaching decision...the coach has to recruit good players and then make the decision to not be stubborn and to actually play the new guys.
Cluck U, Did you her the SDSU HC talk about his players and recruiting? What he basically said is that SD (and other similarly situated, remote, sparsely populated states) don't get much recruiting attention from the big college FB programs so SDSU gets the pick of the litter in their state and some from other nearby states. In other words, SDSU is now getting high quality FB players capable of playing FB at even the P5 level. That will not happen at UD where the FBS prospects are few and have opportunities to be recruited to FBS programs because DE is not too far off the recruiting beat & track.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 7:08 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 am
Is Fry the kid from a few years back who was having some off field issues and that was why we didn't make him an offer? From what I remember a lot of guys on this board were super high on him. That would be a great pick up for us because we desperately need a back up QB who doesn't just hold down the fort or manage a game. We need real depth and someone who can come into a game and be a game changer. We've finally found a starting QB but he plays football like a maniac...I mean that in the best way possible, now we have to have some depth where the drop off between starter and back up isn't astronomical.

We need a center, an RT, and more consistency from Brown on the OL. Hoping Prince asserts himself next season. Mick adds some nice depth but really struggled against top competition as did Trent and you see it in the significant decline in Lee's numbers. Brown has the skill he just needs to do it more consistently.

But the most important step is keeping the band together. The transfer portal is so jammed up now that you'd either have to have another program guaranteeing your acceptance (which I think is illegal) or an absolute buffoon like a former RB not worth mentioning. The fall looks good gentlemen.
I am unaware of Fry having any off-the field issues, just rumors that his academics were keeping all but 1 Div I program (Coastal Carolina) from offering him.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:35 pm
HENJOHN wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am
Competition baby. Nothing like it to push you.
this here!

if there is a chance to improve the team, you take it! Get talent on roster

I don't know how many years of eligibility Fry would have right now... would hate to see that kid beat us one day

and this is just speculation but you never know what FBS coach might be trolling for Nolan right now...
I believe that Fry's senior season at Middletown was Fall 2018 and that he played only 1 season as a true FR at Wesley in Fall 2019. Then the covid and Wesley being absorbed into DSU and its athletic program ending. Fry isn't shown on the Wesley 2020-2021 FB roster and is probably looking to transfer to a new FB home. Fry would presumably have 3 more playing seasons of eligibility.

jl1968

Post by jl1968 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm
Caribe, I would love to see Fry come in and compete. He's a super talented kid. Would be interesting.
Does anyone know what FRY is doing?

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 pm
Cluck U wrote:

"SDSU has a handful of true freshmen and red-shirt freshman who will start or see a lot of playing time. Those guys, part of outstanding recruiting years, have earned starting roles and playing time over very good players with more experience. One of the results is depth like we haven't had in the past. Another result is the team has become measurably better each game as the young players add more game experience."

Once again, I hope our young guys end up being All-Americans, but SDSU (and some other teams) apparently have freshmen that are good enough to PLAY...even good enough to displace some starters. And, their team is in the championship game instead of sitting home talking about how their young players will eventually be good enough to play.

We lament that our freshmen have to play and say they are giving effort, but aren't good enough to win a tough ballgame. SDSU, instead, are celebrating their young players taking the place of their veterans and that their veterans are providing depth. Playing good freshmen is a coaching decision...the coach has to recruit good players and then make the decision to not be stubborn and to actually play the new guys.
Cluck U, Did you her the SDSU HC talk about his players and recruiting? What he basically said is that SD (and other similarly situated, remote, sparsely populated states) don't get much recruiting attention from the big college FB programs so SDSU gets the pick of the litter in their state and some from other nearby states. In other words, SDSU is now getting high quality FB players capable of playing FB at even the P5 level. That will not happen at UD where the FBS prospects are few and have opportunities to be recruited to FBS programs because DE is not too far off the recruiting beat & track.
So how does JMU do it?

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 am

BlueHenBill wrote:

BHB, thanks for asking.

If the SDSU coach is correct, and SDSU has had the advantage of recruiting locally without much competition, then why wasn't SDSU a powerhouse for decades (pssst...they've had the same coach for a looooong time, and he wasn't a huge winner throughout his career)? :lol:

And how come South Dakota can't compete against SDSU?

If you listened to what he said, their last few recruiting classes have been their best. Why?

The real answer is that SDSU has built a fantastic new facility...that thing is a beauty, and the administration has committed to winning! The facility was completed in 2016, and they built it to compete with NDSU. For years, kids saw those drawings/videos/construction and wanted to be a part of that new promise of success. The SDSU football team is reaping the benefits (hopefully, as will our Hens) of their administration's promise to support their football players.

And, as another poster mentioned, why can JMU recruit (besides them lying a while back about going to FBS)?

The main thing that attracts recruits are good coaches, excellent facilities, good schools, and a team that has had some success. Sure, there are some special exceptions (nova's stadium stinks, but their school is excellent, they are in a good location, and they get a bleed over from the national recognition of their basketball team).

Keeler was not given the support from UD's administration. Keeler was handcuffed...oddly enough, so was Tubby. Yet both coaches brought us much success and some fantastic memories.

Rocco, on the other hand, has had the promise (and now reality) of a new APC, stadium enhancements, additional stipends for the players (don't think the extra several thousand dollars doesn't make a huge difference to an 18-year old student) and the STAR campus (with all of those internships, the training/medical facilities, etc.)...and, of course, the UDairy Creamery.

UD football has a bright future. With all of the school's and community's support, and the extra advantages our players have, our Blue Hens should be a perennial contender for the title (the national one, not the CAA title). :D
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am

Cluck U is spot on. You commit to winning you win, you rely on the past you become it. I thought the same thing about SDSU's facilities. It's not surprising to me at all that most successful programs do the things that Keeler and half of our board begged for a decade ago. When did we become second fiddle to JMU? Is it coincidence that when they started pumping money and excitement into their program the fan base followed? UD is on the right track and should be the crown jewel of the FCS...let's be real here for a second. Outside of locals who in their right mind would want to end up in a Dakota or worse, central Virginia :D Our campus, academics, the slew of active and former NFL players who have come from the program, and all within driving distance of some of the biggest cities in our country it's actually quite impressive what Harker and co. were able to accomplish in setting the program back a cool decade.

I didn't want to be specific about Fry's situation so rather than say academic (which for a QB would be concerning) so I just went general with 0ff-field. Either way where is he and do we have a chance at getting him?
The Dude Abides!

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

That was the story we got for NDSU too- lack of recruiting competition. Not sure if that will change with time as Missouri Valley Conference teams get more exposure. Unfortunately Delaware will always be in an area of lots of recruiting competition. Better eye for Diamonds in the rough by UD recruiters perhaps? Better coaching them up when they get to Newark? The WAC should help.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu May 13, 2021 6:11 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

Do what? Two FCS titles, only one recent. What is theri record vs. MVFC opponents recently?

So how does JMU do it?
Do what? Two FCS titles, only one recent. What is their record vs. MVFC opponents recently?

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 am
BlueHenBill wrote:

BHB, thanks for asking.

If the SDSU coach is correct, and SDSU has had the advantage of recruiting locally without much competition, then why wasn't SDSU a powerhouse for decades (pssst...they've had the same coach for a looooong time, and he wasn't a huge winner throughout his career)? :lol:

And how come South Dakota can't compete against SDSU?

If you listened to what he said, their last few recruiting classes have been their best. Why?

The real answer is that SDSU has built a fantastic new facility...that thing is a beauty, and the administration has committed to winning! The facility was completed in 2016, and they built it to compete with NDSU. For years, kids saw those drawings/videos/construction and wanted to be a part of that new promise of success. The SDSU football team is reaping the benefits (hopefully, as will our Hens) of their administration's promise to support their football players.

And, as another poster mentioned, why can JMU recruit (besides them lying a while back about going to FBS)?

The main thing that attracts recruits are good coaches, excellent facilities, good schools, and a team that has had some success. Sure, there are some special exceptions (nova's stadium stinks, but their school is excellent, they are in a good location, and they get a bleed over from the national recognition of their basketball team).

Keeler was not given the support from UD's administration. Keeler was handcuffed...oddly enough, so was Tubby. Yet both coaches brought us much success and some fantastic memories.

Rocco, on the other hand, has had the promise (and now reality) of a new APC, stadium enhancements, additional stipends for the players (don't think the extra several thousand dollars doesn't make a huge difference to an 18-year old student) and the STAR campus (with all of those internships, the training/medical facilities, etc.)...and, of course, the UDairy Creamery.

UD football has a bright future. With all of the school's and community's support, and the extra advantages our players have, our Blue Hens should be a perennial contender for the title (the national one, not the CAA title). :D
Click U, Good points and I agree, but still feel that SDSU doesn't have as much recruiting competition and that is a not insignificant factor.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu May 13, 2021 6:19 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am
Cluck U is spot on. You commit to winning you win, you rely on the past you become it. I thought the same thing about SDSU's facilities. It's not surprising to me at all that most successful programs do the things that Keeler and half of our board begged for a decade ago. When did we become second fiddle to JMU? Is it coincidence that when they started pumping money and excitement into their program the fan base followed? UD is on the right track and should be the crown jewel of the FCS...let's be real here for a second. Outside of locals who in their right mind would want to end up in a Dakota or worse, central Virginia :D Our campus, academics, the slew of active and former NFL players who have come from the program, and all within driving distance of some of the biggest cities in our country it's actually quite impressive what Harker and co. were able to accomplish in setting the program back a cool decade.

I didn't want to be specific about Fry's situation so rather than say academic (which for a QB would be concerning) so I just went general with 0ff-field. Either way where is he and do we have a chance at getting him?
HenZoneNation, OK but I Iook at three distinct factors where a player is judged - as a teammate on the field, off-the field behavior issues, and academics.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:11 pm
finpxz1 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 pm

So how does JMU do it?
Do what? Two FCS titles, only one recent. What is their record vs. MVFC opponents recently?
C'mon, BHB, that is easy to look up. Since you said recently...going back to 2016:

2020/2021 season, JMU just dispatched UND 34-21 in a game that wasn't that close.
2019: JMU beats UNI 17-0, loses to NDSU in the chipper 28-20.
2017: JMU dismantles SDSU 51-16, loses to NDSU in the chipper 17-13
2016: JMU 27 NDSU 17, JMU beats YSU 28-14 to win the championship

So, JMU is undefeated versus the MVFC, with the exception of going 1-2 versus the Bison.

Total: JMU 5, MVFC 2

What was your point, again?
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Fri May 14, 2021 7:40 am

That 2016 JMU team was special. They went into undefeated NDSU's house and handled them.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am

dovetail wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:40 am
That 2016 JMU team was special. They went into undefeated NDSU's house and handled them.
Really the only reason JMU lost last FCS championship game was because the Bison QB Trey Lance was special, Pretty much unstoppable
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019