QB’s on scholly ?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Henzone

Re: QB’s on scholly ?

Post by Henzone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 am

77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:55 am
Henzone wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:09 am
Anybody catch the Penn State loss ? Their QB got injured also and they marched in the backup who just happened to be the former New Jersey Player of the year.

His completion rate for the season is now 39% . Maybe we should consider bringing him in?

You lose your starting QB, especially one the caliber of Nolan , you're going to have problems.

Not playing Gwynn against Stony Brook is the worst decision Rocco could make. Give the kid a chance.
Actually the worse thing Rocco could’ve done was start Gwynn for the second half yesterday. Warning light was flashing bright vs Albany,

Pribula is either not ready and if he is, Rocco is just to slow and stubborn

Season was on the brink and Pribula could’ve provided a Much needed spark.

Every minute that Gwynn plays is just taking needed experience from the next QB
Of course you know that Coach is loyal to players and seniorority counts. Loyalty is nice, but going by seniorority is not so much a good thing. We have seen this time and time again with Coach. It’s time UD find a young,aggressive dynamic person to lead the FB program.
Paoletti arrived in 2018, Pribula 2019 & Gwynn in 2020 ?

BlueHen1985
UD Class: 1985

Post by BlueHen1985 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am

Henzone wrote:
Anybody catch the Penn State loss ? Their QB got injured also and they marched in the backup who just happened to be the former New Jersey Player of the year.

His completion rate for the season is now 39% . Maybe we should consider bringing him in?

You lose your starting QB, especially one the caliber of Nolan , you're going to have problems.

Not playing Gwynn against Stony Brook is the worst decision Rocco could make. Give the kid a chance.
How many chances do you suggest we give him?🙄

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:27 pm

BlueHen1985 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am
Henzone wrote:

How many chances do you suggest we give him?🙄
Maybe you missed the discussion but I saw Gannon throw a still school record 4 ints ,( including a 100yd return) in his first start as a Blue Hen. I guess he should have been benched the next game ? Didn't happen of course. I've also seen other eventually decent UD QB's look doubtful out of the blocks. Check out Scully & Hall's numbers their first season.

Unfortunately we have no Gannons but the point is both Ambrose & Rocco will make that choice for us. If that makes you and the other lynch mob members unhappy, so be it.

In my opinion if the move is going to be made then the second half against Stony may be the proper choice if we're stagnant. Throwing a newbie in against JMU would seem to be a a disaster in the making.

I'm still concerned about the improvement of the OL. It's not happening fast enough for any of us. Nobody mentioned it but Prince played the entire URI game at center.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:24 pm

Rick, Comparing Gannon and his experience to Gwynn's probably isn't a good one. The game where Rich threw 4 picks vs Lehigh wasn't his first start, it was actually Week 4 & start 4 of the 1984 season. His first start was vs JMU that year. More importantly, Rich was also a highly touted super athlete expected to come in and be a star for us and in all fairness, that's hardly the resume or expectation for Gwynn so the possibility of going to a backup or another option is more practical in our current situation.

I'm pulling for the kid to turn it around this week. Just can't turn the ball over again like that this weekend. I think our staff could do more to take the pressure off as well.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:51 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:24 pm
Rick, Comparing Gannon and his experience to Gwynn's probably isn't a good one. The game where Rich threw 4 picks vs Lehigh wasn't his first start, it was actually Week 4 & start 4 of the 1984 season. His first start was vs JMU that year. More importantly, Rich was also a highly touted super athlete expected to come in and be a star for us and in all fairness, that's hardly the resume or expectation for Gwynn so the possibility of going to a backup or another option is more practical in our current situation.

I'm pulling for the kid to turn it around this week. Just can't turn the ball over again like that this weekend. I think our staff could do more to take the pressure off as well.
I can come up with dozens of comparisons that fit if the specific scenario of the one I mentioned doesn't fit exactly but that's silly and I think people get the point. If Gannon with all the high expectations and talent can throw 4 interceptions in his 4th game and look super bad then certainly Gwynn can struggle starting in his first game can't he?

I'm not sure what you mean by practical when Ambrose and Rocco have been watching these guys for months play QB yet they choose Gywnn instead of the specific players they themselves recruited . I've often wondered why Paoletti with his 7000 yards didn't get offered by Nova who is 6 miles down the road from his high school? To me it would have been easy for Rocco to just announce they were going to start someone else and pass the URI loss onto Gwynn. He didn't.

Anyone who's played one down or one inning or even 1 round of golf knows that it doesn't necessarily project how you are going to play the next time you give it a shot. Gwynn is a work in progress and I know I've seen many of those over the years at the Tub from all the head coaches we've had.

Gwynn might fail but I respect our staff for sticking with him to open the Stony game. If the OL does their job, which is highly questionable, and he doesn't do his I'll be yelling for the next man up myself.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm

I made my point. I didn't expect you to agree. That's fine. I was also pointing out it was not Gannons first game as you indicated. The practical statement was that it's more likely that we might try someone at QB behind a lightly touted backup Gwynn whose struggling in game 2 than a Very Highly touted, stud, high expectations Rich Gannon in week 5 of his first year all tied to your analogy

I expect Gwynn to start SAT and I'm pulling for the kid to turn it around. We need him to do well but if he starts turning the ball over again I'm hoping we consider other options.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm
I expect Gwynn to start SAT and I'm pulling for the kid to turn it around. We need him to do well but if he starts turning the ball over again I'm hoping we consider other options.
THIS

The practices I saw in August, both Zake and Cade had their days they ran at #2 and though their styles are different, I thought both looked good. Gwynn was a little more polished; Cade was more mobile and has the better arm. Gwynn needs to show his upsides this Saturday.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Nice article and thanks for sharing. Good to see the support but what else are they going to say. I'm hoping Gwynn also getting all the #1 Reps in practice for another week will pay dividends. Big game for us Saturday. Hoping for the Sallies kid to have a good day.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Another nice article from Andy. :D

Interesting that one of our guys said he blocked several punts in practice. Hmmmmm....wonder how that could happen?
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:22 pm

[quote="Cluck U" post_id=392482 time=1634164544 user_id=664]
Another nice article from Andy. :D

Interesting that one of our guys said he blocked several punts in practice. Hmmmmm....wonder how that could happen?
[/quote]

Thought Henley said kicks.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm

dchen wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Thought Henley said kicks.
dchen...you are correct. My bad.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.