Our Punt Team

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hensfansince03
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 pm
UD Class: 2007

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 pm
The January Man wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 pm
If multiple blocked punts don't make this HC want to change things up, what will??
Electro shock treatments?
Dismissal mid season.

User avatar
The January Man
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 am
UD Class: 1996

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by The January Man » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 pm
The January Man wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 pm
If multiple blocked punts don't make this HC want to change things up, what will??
Electro shock treatments?
LMAO.

I was thinking more along the lines of one of his Assistant Coaches rolling up to him and asking "WTF are we doing on our punt blocking?"

UDFootballFan
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 am
UD Class: 1900

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by UDFootballFan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Listening on the radio, they made a point that Rocco previously said they figured their punt issues out. Either he was lying or another problem arose.

User avatar
ColoradoHen
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm
UD Class: 1977

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by ColoradoHen » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Good point on the punter, his strides put him right up to his blockers and the defender simply put his hands up to easily block the punt. That’s three TDS given up off blocked punts counting the DelState game.

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 6618
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by jd of de » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm

I will post if the game replay shows something different, but in real time it felt like forever before our punter dropped the ball to punt it and when he did finally drop the ball the lone URI rusher and Krolls azz had equal opportunities to block it.

This time It’s wasn’t scheme and it wasn’t blocking IMO like the first three; our punter was slow getting the ball off. No excuses being made here. Telling you what I saw live and from my angle

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:23 am

jd of de wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm
I will post if the game replay shows something different, but in real time it felt like forever before our punter dropped the ball to punt it and when he did finally drop the ball the lone URI rusher and Krolls azz had equal opportunities to block it.

This time It’s wasn’t scheme and it wasn’t blocking IMO like the first three; our punter was slow getting the ball off. No excuses being made here. Telling you what I saw live and from my angle
While we appreciate the, "live angle" report...what difference does it make?

Does is alleviate the coaches' responsibility for the inconsistent and pathetic punting part of the Hens' game?

The facts are (since some people like to throw out facts) that our punting team (coaches and players) have proven themselves to be a very visible and predictable problem. A liability - too many times. Opposing teams have noticed and taken advantage of our punting woes. The coaching staff has failed (miserably) to find a fix. Everyone, especially our opponents, knows we have punting problems...yet the issue has not been addressed successfully through personnel changes or scheme adjustments.

That is a direct reflection on Rocco.

End of story.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Heeper
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by Heeper » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am

JD,
As someone who has been extremely critical of our punt scheme, I agree with most of your assessments on yesterday's block. However, my question still stands, why let rushers have a free run off the line at your punter when you are punting from their 45? What the hell does that gain you? Tighten the splits, don't allow any free runs and then even if the punter did everything exactly the same as he did yesterday, the punt gets off.

RamblinRec
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm
UD Class: 1975

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by RamblinRec » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 am

I agree! With our faulty punt protection over the spring and again this fall, we need to tighten up our splits, so free run at the three blockers doesn't happen. The punter is too close to the screen and needs to improve his speed in getting rid of ball. If not this acilles heel is going to continue to cost us, especially with Henderson out, and games are going to become tighter!

User avatar
UD77
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:17 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Hockessin

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by UD77 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Does the long snapper have the range to add another five feet? That may be way the punter is so close.

dovetail
Posts: 5983
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:03 am
UD Class: 1966
Location: Chadds Ford, PA

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by dovetail » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Maybe the problem is with the long snapper.

User avatar
72 Hen
Recruiting Specialist
Recruiting Specialist
Posts: 6362
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:00 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by 72 Hen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Delaware's version of the shield punt blocking needs to be tossed. The coaches have proven that they can't make it work.
"Hit Soooooooooomebody"

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11727
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by bluehenbillk » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:23 am
jd of de wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm
I will post if the game replay shows something different, but in real time it felt like forever before our punter dropped the ball to punt it and when he did finally drop the ball the lone URI rusher and Krolls azz had equal opportunities to block it.

This time It’s wasn’t scheme and it wasn’t blocking IMO like the first three; our punter was slow getting the ball off. No excuses being made here. Telling you what I saw live and from my angle
While we appreciate the, "live angle" report...what difference does it make?

Does is alleviate the coaches' responsibility for the inconsistent and pathetic punting part of the Hens' game?

The facts are (since some people like to throw out facts) that our punting team (coaches and players) have proven themselves to be a very visible and predictable problem. A liability - too many times. Opposing teams have noticed and taken advantage of our punting woes. The coaching staff has failed (miserably) to find a fix. Everyone, especially our opponents, knows we have punting problems...yet the issue has not been addressed successfully through personnel changes or scheme adjustments.

That is a direct reflection on Rocco.

End of story.
I couldn’t agree more that UD’s punter takes way too long to kick the ball. If JoeC were here he’d have him timed on a stopwatch and would be telling us he’s taking an extra half second or so to kick the damn ball.
Delaware Football - I thought we were back....but we're actually not.... :roll:

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:38 pm

72 Hen wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:18 pm
Delaware's version of the shield punt blocking needs to be tossed. The coaches have proven that they can't make it work.
Rocco is data driven. He needs to see a few more blocks to get a large enough data sample be sure his plan isn't working.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

RamblinRec
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm
UD Class: 1975

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by RamblinRec » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm

No NFL team uses it! I would think that they have looked at all data in regards to various punt formations.

77HEN
Posts: 4668
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: I Have Returned!

Re: Our Punt Team

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:40 pm

So, does anyone know who on the sidelines loudly shouted out “GD it” for all to hear on TV as the punt blocker picked up the ball to run for a TD? Was it Coach?
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

Post Reply