IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 pm

So today showed what most of us have known from watching the previous 4 games this season. THIS TEAM IS NOT GOOD. We are a mediocre CAA team, in a CAA that is not what it used to be. Every game with the exception of Dixie and possible WM can go either way. NOVA and JMU are more than likely losses. The frustrating thing is the same issues we have had over the last 4 years with poor OL play, lack of pass rush, inconsistent QB play, and poor special teams play. Everything up to this point shows we ARE what WE ARE and the coach is WHAT HE IS. That is boring, stubborn, and consistently mediocre.

As for this season Henderson is done and may not play for us ever again. Our top OL in Kroll and receiver Pitts may transfer also. Who can blame them?

In terms of infrastructure to be successful from a University standpoint what we have now are the things KC Keeler dreamed of. 60 million dollar new facility and stadium upgrades, top 10 in FCS. What we have now on the field does not rise to these standards.

What it looks like is going to happen is Rocco is going to limp through this season and get between 4 and 6 wins. This should lead to the end of his tenure here. Does anyone think he gets renewed without making the playoffs or with a 6 and 5 record or worse? Next week should be a WIN however If we lose two more in a row is it time to give Rojas or Ambrose a chance to be HC for remainder of season? Lots of football left RIGHT?

For all of you positive folks who say I should not be a fan anymore it is possible that MAYBE all of a sudden Paoletti can throw, our OL can block, and our pass rush becomes a factor and we beat JMU, NOVA and make it to the semis again! It can happen and the team should continue to fight to get better week in and week out, even it we continue to disappoint each individual player should realize the new staff will watch the tape and make decisions for next season based on performance. What are the chance of this happening? I would LOVE TO BE WRONG AND FOR ROCCO AND THE TEAM TO TAKE WHAT I AM SAYING AND SHOVE IT UP MY A. IF YOUR READING THIS PLEASE DO!

So if the above does not happen what's next? Roccos is out and we lose Henderson, Kroll, Pitts and Plack to FBS. What does Chrissy do and how fast does she does she do it? We should be able to attract a top notch coach with the hunger to build a national championship level team with the resources we possess. This next coaching search will be nothing like the last 2 and maybe its something we should be EXCITED ABOUT?

GhostOfThePeeWall

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by GhostOfThePeeWall » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:04 pm

Boring defense, unimaginative offense, embarrasing special team mistakes. The spring season was an anomaly. Holistically, it may be time to move on from our current head coach.

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 pm

That's a lot to digest, 03.

I will say this though, that the shine from the Spring Football Fling is long gone. This team/program is back to boring, slow, uninspired football. Not sure why though.

jl1968

Post by jl1968 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Chrissy made a mistake when she hired DR and she should fire him right now! Bring back Bill Cubit for rest of season and go after a HC from another FCS program such JMU or SDSU or NDSU we should be able to out bid them as DR is highest paid FCS coach and hasn't earned it! Please get rid of DR!!!!

HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:47 pm

We're 3-2. Right where we belong.
Nothing to worry about.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!

bct2000
UD Class: 1990

Post by bct2000 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:37 pm

The way this team is playing though, is most concerning. This 3-2 record is somewhat deceptive. They haven't had a game that they controlled from start to finish, against an opponent on their level. Even the 27-10 win over STFU was against a much inferior opponent. Against opponents of closer talent, they are not looking very good. This is not a playoff team, at this point, they could lose 2 more games playing like this. For DR now in his 4th year at UD, this is NOT good enough.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:28 am

jl1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Chrissy made a mistake when she hired DR and she should fire him right now! Bring back Bill Cubit for rest of season and go after a HC from another FCS program such JMU or SDSU or NDSU we should be able to out bid them as DR is highest paid FCS coach and hasn't earned it! Please get rid of DR!!!!
Hmmm...one successful Hall of Fame FCS coach is missing from that list. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:30 am

HensRock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:47 pm
We're 3-2. Right where we belong.
Nothing to worry about.
OK...that is a brilliant (and most likely underappreciated) post. :lol:

Beers are on me.

Will PM you the location.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

jl1968

Post by jl1968 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:28 am
jl1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Hmmm...one successful Hall of Fame FCS coach is missing from that list. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never ever going to happen!!

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 am

This is just MY opinion as a long time fan and alum. IF we are the program we think we are and IF we Think are getting close to being the Blueblood program we once we're etc, we DO NOT lose to Rhode Island in Football. We are in Year 5 of our new HC and QB issues aside I find myself asking are we where we need to be or should be as a program at this point and 5 years in to the post Brock/Ziady era?

My answer is becoming clearer.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:03 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 am
This is just MY opinion as a long time fan and alum. IF we are the program we think we are and IF we Think are getting close to being the Blueblood program we once we're etc, we DO NOT lose to Rhode Island in Football. We are in Year 5 of our new HC and QB issues aside I find myself asking are we where we need to be or should be as a program at this point and 5 years in to the post Brock/Ziady era.
Yes to all HJ,

Year 5 and the offense is in defeatist mode

12 up the guts by the QB that not allowed to throw a pass?

How bad is that
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:16 am

HENJOHN wrote:
This is just MY opinion as a long time fan and alum. IF we are the program we think we are and IF we Think are getting close to being the Blueblood program we once we're etc, we DO NOT lose to Rhode Island in Football. We are in Year 5 of our new HC and QB issues aside I find myself asking are we where we need to be or should be as a program at this point and 5 years in to the post Brock/Ziady era.
Super frustrating John . What bothers me the most is the stupid punt team situation. It's not blocked, I'm confident we win the game.

That is possibly the best URI team I've seen in a long time but that's no consolation.

In MY opinion the loss of Henderson will change the whole evaluation process . I don't care who is under center, we're taking a huge step backwards when he's not on the field even if we do have the CAA's leading rusher.

Rocco isn't going away anytime soon so if we are the fans we claim to be we need to support the team and the situation will be addressed AFTER the season.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:36 am

HENJOHN wrote:
This is just MY opinion as a long time fan and alum. IF we are the program we think we are and IF we Think are getting close to being the Blueblood program we once we're etc, we DO NOT lose to Rhode Island in Football. We are in Year 5 of our new HC and QB issues aside I find myself asking are we where we need to be or should be as a program at this point and 5 years in to the post Brock/Ziady era?

Yes HJ, the answer is becoming clearer. It has continued to build since Day One when Rocco BSed us about Walker and didn’t properly man the QB position. It grew with going with Kehoe over Henderson. Now we will likely get to see Gwynn keep getting rolled out there. And all the while, it still is that boring to watch AND play offense and defense. And now, we are adding punts blocked for TD’s. Having one is bad enough. But only programs we used to laugh at have that happen to them 3 times in 8 games.

If the “evaluation” process hasn’t started before the Rhode Island game, it sure better now.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

Hens79 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:36 am
HENJOHN wrote:

Yes HJ, the answer is becoming clearer. It has continued to build since Day One when Rocco BSed us about Walker and didn’t properly man the QB position. It grew with going with Kehoe over Henderson. Now we will likely get to see Gwynn keep getting rolled out there. And all the while, it still is that boring to watch AND play offense and defense. And now, we are adding punts blocked for TD’s. Having one is bad enough. But only programs we used to laugh at have that happen to them 3 times in 8 games.

If the “evaluation” process hasn’t started before the Rhode Island game, it sure better now.
To me, it's the where are we going argument. To be a successful FCS program, you need to be in the playoffs often, and you need to win games in the playoffs. If you're going to be a legit title contender, those are musts. Given Rocco's history, and given with what we've seen here at UD when he's been given everything a coach could ask for (e.g. his own staff, substantial salaries versus peers, facilities, ongoing investment), it's becoming distressingly clear that he's not able to step up from his prior coaching performance to get to the next level and, even worse, he may be regressing from even the relatively modest levels he was at before he got here. We needed someone who could improve when he got here and, unless something drastically changes, we didn't get it. It is a pretty boring product on the field, which just compounds with the poor record; we're not very good, and we're not even entertaining while not being very good. He's better than Brock, but we as a program deserve something better than just being better than Brock. Given what we have invested in this program in terms of facilities and given what we can pay, I think, if the season plays out as it looks right now, we need to cut Rocco loose and find somebody with some dynamism and some passion who can take advantage of what this program has and turn it again into a real national power in FCS.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:07 am

AP threw for 6,929 yards in HS & still holds the Delco record... All of a sudden he can't pass?

Ryan Carty as UD next head coach? He's doing a bang-up job at Sammy!
#GoHens