IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 10073
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:07 am
AP threw for 6,929 yards in HS & still holds the Delco record... All of a sudden he can't pass?

Ryan Carty as UD next head coach? He's doing a bang-up job at Sammy!
Carty has loads of talent

If you bring Sam Houston’s talent to Delaware even our coaches could win
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

dovetail
Posts: 5983
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:03 am
UD Class: 1966
Location: Chadds Ford, PA

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by dovetail » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:34 am

How bout Matt Nagy. If he don't win in Chi-Town this season?

rooneyguy
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by rooneyguy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:59 am

Carty would be an exciting hire; Nagy probably stays in the pros in some capacity; but both are UD guys and that would be a good thing for all concerned.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Cluck U » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am

Carty has loads of talent

If you bring Sam Houston’s talent to Delaware even our coaches could win
Nope.

Sammy's D attacks and disrupts. That is by design. We have some talent on D...it is not being used properly...by design. The punt formation...by design. All of what is happening at UD is by design. Rocco's design.

Rocco chooses to waste talent in order to do things his way. He believes his way will win. Hard to see Rocco bringing in talent that disrupts or causes chaos anywhere on the field because Rocco doesn't like disruptions or chaos.

As for Carty...I'm all in favor. Except for his odd (one could say stubborn) habit of not gaining one yard on third/fourth down. That might be the downfall of Sammy. They have a good OL, a great RB, and some QBs who can run, but they really don't have much success with running the ball right at you on short yardage. They have two very talented centers playing Guard and Tackle (injury adjustments) so they might be a little small. But, they have some solid TEs who can block. Just haven't figured those short yardage issues out yet. Drive stoppers. Gotta' fix that to have a chance.

Anyway...after 5 seasons, we need to see a change.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Cluck U » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 am
This is just MY opinion as a long time fan and alum. IF we are the program we think we are and IF we Think are getting close to being the Blueblood program we once we're etc, we DO NOT lose to Rhode Island in Football. We are in Year 5 of our new HC and QB issues aside I find myself asking are we where we need to be or should be as a program at this point and 5 years in to the post Brock/Ziady era?

My answer is becoming clearer.
Yup.

Losing to, "the best URI team in a long time" is bad, especially since URI isn't good and has had, what....2 winning records in their last 20 years or so?

URI will finish with a solid record and could make the playoffs. Towson? Please...chalk it up as a win. nova is a loss. Maine, UMass, UNH and Elon...all winnable for the Rams because none of those teams should be in the top 25. So nova is Rhody's main obstacle. Even if they lose to a very blah UNH team, Rhody could finish 9-2 with an FBS win. 8-3 at worst. They will most likely get paired with some Patriot trash and then get beaten in the next round. They are not a good team...they are a blah team that any good team should beat.

Just an ugly loss for a UD team that had hopes.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 10274
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1980
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:24 pm

We are wasting too many years and seasons IMO waiting for the current staff to turn it around. The current group has had more backing, more resources and the better facilities than any other staff or group we have ever had. Like the Whitneys said at the WAC groundbreaking, they EXPECT Championships and are not just hoping for them. Many of us feel the same.

I was sincerely hoping it was with Rocco and his staff to get it done but I feel like we have a nice guy, whose a good Coach, conservative, but not a good fit for Delaware at this point and not someone who's going to lead Delaware to a Championship. I don't want to hear about losing a QB or blocked punts for TDs, those are all things that our program leader in YEAR 5 should have been handling and had plans for IF we truly are the program we think we are. Losing to Rhode Island's, struggling with Albanys and St Francis Pa isn't getting it done.

I saw some posts last week imploring UD to "Extend Rocco!". I can only assume those are folks that haven't been fans here all that long or fans with lower expectations. Either way it's time for the Administration to decide where should we really be as a program and where are we going in the near future. I was truly happy for our Spring run but we certainly didn't use that success to build on for this Fall. It looks and feels just like 2019 again and man does that pizz me off.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Udforever1
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Udforever1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:18 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:24 pm
We are wasting too many years and seasons IMO waiting for the current staff to turn it around. The current group has had more backing, more resources and the better facilities than any other staff or group we have ever had. Like the Whitneys said at the WAC groundbreaking, they EXPECT Championships and are not just hoping for them. Many of us feel the same.

I was sincerely hoping it was with Rocco and his staff to get it done but I feel like we have a nice guy, whose a good Coach, conservative, but not a good fit for Delaware at this point and not someone who's going to lead Delaware to a Championship. I don't want to hear about losing a QB or blocked punts for TDs, those are all things that our program leader in YEAR 5 should have been handling and had plans for IF we truly are the program we think we are. Losing to Rhode Island's, struggling with Albanys and St Francis Pa isn't getting it done.

I saw some posts last week imploring UD to "Extend Rocco!". I can only assume those are folks that haven't been fans here all that long or fans with lower expectations. Either way it's time for the Administration to decide where should we really be as a program and where are we going in the near future. I was truly happy for our Spring run but we certainly didn't use that success to build on for this Fall. It looks and feels just like 2019 again and man does that pizz me off.
Great post John. I said it to you and a few others the other day. Right now I feel like we are JMU during final years of Mickey Matthews. Matthews last 5 seasons:

2009: 6-5
2010: 6-5
2011: 8-5
2012: 7-4
2013: 6-6

Both JMU at the time and now UD had/have all the resources and administration support yet they are stuck in mediocrity. UD needs someone to come in and take this program to the next level. I’m not talking FBS, that’s a different argument. But someone who will consistently have UD at the top of the FCS, similar to what JMU has been since they made the coaching change. There is zero reason why this program shouldn’t be talked about with North Dakota St, JMU, Sammy, etc. I’m not willing to discredit the spring season like others are on here, but it is certainly starting to look like an outlier.

Section J
Posts: 4299
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
UD Class: 1983
Location: Centerville

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Section J » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm

It looked to me that URI was bigger faster stronger, meaning better they had athletes than we had.

Rocco is failing in the aspect of his job that by itself would make the most difference irrespective of coaching style, RECRUITING.

What did Joe C use to say, "it ain't the x's and o's.....
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James

User avatar
93BlueHen
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:53 am
UD Class: 1993
Location: Slower DE

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by 93BlueHen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:01 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:24 pm
We are wasting too many years and seasons IMO waiting for the current staff to turn it around. The current group has had more backing, more resources and the better facilities than any other staff or group we have ever had. Like the Whitneys said at the WAC groundbreaking, they EXPECT Championships and are not just hoping for them. Many of us feel the same.

I was sincerely hoping it was with Rocco and his staff to get it done but I feel like we have a nice guy, whose a good Coach, conservative, but not a good fit for Delaware at this point and not someone who's going to lead Delaware to a Championship. I don't want to hear about losing a QB or blocked punts for TDs, those are all things that our program leader in YEAR 5 should have been handling and had plans for IF we truly are the program we think we are. Losing to Rhode Island's, struggling with Albanys and St Francis Pa isn't getting it done.

I saw some posts last week imploring UD to "Extend Rocco!". I can only assume those are folks that haven't been fans here all that long or fans with lower expectations. Either way it's time for the Administration to decide where should we really be as a program and where are we going in the near future. I was truly happy for our Spring run but we certainly didn't use that success to build on for this Fall. It looks and feels just like 2019 again and man does that pizz me off.
This! Everything in this post.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012

77HEN
Posts: 4668
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: I Have Returned!

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by 77HEN » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 pm

GoHens needs to start a search committee. Coach Rocco has had ample opportunity and has failed to raise the Blue Hens FB to the caliber of team that can consider competing for any kind of championship. Time to move on. GoHens has a lot of knowledge and should start the conversation that could help the admin find a suitable new coach. Where can our next coach be found? FBS assistant? FCS head coach interested in upgrading? Maybe a DII or DIII coach with a lot of potential. We need a dynamic, personable coach who can recruit, develop and motivate our players. Also, one who will require discipline and hold players accountable for their performance. I prefer we look to take a chance with a young up and coming coach.
Last edited by 77HEN on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 10073
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Section J wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm
It looked to me that URI was bigger faster stronger, meaning better they had athletes than we had.

Rocco is failing in the aspect of his job that by itself would make the most difference irrespective of coaching style, RECRUITING.

What did Joe C use to say, "it ain't the x's and o's.....
Exactly Section J
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

henjet
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:09 am
UD Class: 1900

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by henjet » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Again NOT going anywhere with Rocco. Start the search now release him after last game.He is an average coach but DELAWARE plays for NC not this mess.

User avatar
BlueHen1985
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:56 pm
UD Class: 1985

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by BlueHen1985 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:08 pm

I fail to understand WHY Rocco is keeping Gwynn as the starter with no thought of trying out one of his scholarship QBs. Pribula was named a captain and starter for the 2019 BIG 33 in PA. He also broke school passing and TD records for not just his school, but his entire league. All-State. I could go on. Look at his bio. Gwynn has no bio. Remember, Gwynn is a walk-on.
We almost lost to Albany, until Nolan returned at the end. We just had a pathetic loss to RI. We can not have a repeat of 2019 when he refused to play Nolan, who was obviously better then Kehoe. If stubborn Rocco does this again, he deserves to be fired. The staff needs to adjust their course. They have had 5 years to get this right and they’re failing. It doesn’t even seem that Rocco cares if we have a mediocre season. He is keeping everything as it is. That is not good coaching. This team deserves real leadership, not a coach that is sleep walking through the season.

Hengrad07
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 pm
UD Class: 2007
Location: Philly

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Hengrad07 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 am

77HEN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 pm
GoHens needs to start a search committee. Coach Rocco has had ample opportunity and has failed to raise the Blue Hens FB to the caliber of team that can consider competing for any kind of championship. Time to move on. GoHens has a lot of knowledge and should start the conversation that could help the admin find a suitable new coach. Where can our next coach be found? FBS assistant? FCS head coach interested in upgrading? Maybe a DII or DIII coach with a lot of potential. We need a dynamic, personable coach who can recruit, develop and motivate our players. Also, one who will require discipline and hold players accountable for their performance. I prefer we look to take a chance with a young up and coming coach.
WAIT... YOU & gohens,net fans don't want CR & DA selecting the next UD FB Coach!!!
#GoHens

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 10073
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 am
77HEN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 pm
GoHens needs to start a search committee. Coach Rocco has had ample opportunity and has failed to raise the Blue Hens FB to the caliber of team that can consider competing for any kind of championship. Time to move on. GoHens has a lot of knowledge and should start the conversation that could help the admin find a suitable new coach. Where can our next coach be found? FBS assistant? FCS head coach interested in upgrading? Maybe a DII or DIII coach with a lot of potential. We need a dynamic, personable coach who can recruit, develop and motivate our players. Also, one who will require discipline and hold players accountable for their performance. I prefer we look to take a chance with a young up and coming coach.
WAIT... YOU & gohens,net fans don't want CR & DA selecting the next UD FB Coach!!!
A few random thoughts

Everybody knew that when KC was fired, Brock was a buddy hire. Need not apply

I’m not saying the current head coach was a buddy hire, but it just seemed that the current administration locked in on him early and nobody else had a real chance.

An established Head Coach with a pretty good track record, a safe hire, solid but not spectacular hire, A coach that had no upside and near the end of the line meaning he would be in place for a long time...The hire allowed a very busy AD to move on to the next item on a long too do list. The football program is in good hands now with no pressure on the new hire too win immediately and it showed

It beat taking a risk on a younger more dynamic energetic coach with fresh ideas and a National Championship gleam in his eye...

All speculation here, if you want facts read something else

Fan base is screaming for a change, it would be refreshing if they listened some
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Post Reply