IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by 77HEN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:19 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 am
77HEN wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 pm
GoHens needs to start a search committee. Coach Rocco has had ample opportunity and has failed to raise the Blue Hens FB to the caliber of team that can consider competing for any kind of championship. Time to move on. GoHens has a lot of knowledge and should start the conversation that could help the admin find a suitable new coach. Where can our next coach be found? FBS assistant? FCS head coach interested in upgrading? Maybe a DII or DIII coach with a lot of potential. We need a dynamic, personable coach who can recruit, develop and motivate our players. Also, one who will require discipline and hold players accountable for their performance. I prefer we look to take a chance with a young up and coming coach.
WAIT... YOU & gohens,net fans don't want CR & DA selecting the next UD FB Coach!!!
Blue Hen sports teams are not exactly setting the CAA on fire this season. That’s for sure. Maybe BBall will have a great season.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am

The entire season will likely have to play out and then the UD will make a final decision. However I believe the university should prepare itself for the possibility of having to make a change. Perhaps after this weekend they will sit down and construct that "Plan B" (if they haven't already). For those of you who believe Stonybrook won't be a worthy opponent this weekend, remember they took URI to overtime the week before they played us and this is another "road" game heading up north. Our QB issue is compounded by the OL issue (and a stubborness issue). The punting game has also been a simmering issue since the "Spring Season". Pretty tall order to fix all that mid-season.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 am

Hey guys- we have an exciting matchup Saturday with a" tough" 1-4 Stony Brook to look forward to :roll: :lol: The "glory" of the spring season has vanished even though we never really defeated a quality team and were massacred by SDSU- but we were #5 in the country by all the good ole boys who put our their polls and keep their coaching fraternity appeased and collecting nice cushy salaries and jobs. Cynical? well maybe reality as even many Blue Hen fans are now aware of DR's issues.

OMG- what a state of decay we are in :( :(

I agree< as posted< that CR hired what was a "safe" DR to put things in order but the contract price was off the charts. I thought it was strange to make a snatch of a fellow CAA coach and then later hire another CAA coach in Ambrose. we have been "paying" for it ever since!! I remember being scathingly attacked for my thoughts on DR many years ago after watching a few years of his conservative, stubborn leadership. I hope we decide to hire an experienced qualified group to select a new coach. I don't mean to imply that recruiting CR was a mistake as athletic director. She has proven to be an excellent financial person as her ability to get our WAC, stadium campaign accomplished and completed, but ...... Our athletic teams have become predominately mediocre during her tenure. In general we schedule many mediocre opponents that should ensure winning records. So do continue the STATUS QUO or maybe attempt to build a major university into a quality athletic program. If the Dakotas can do it, why not UD? Why are other previous unknown schools passing UD and now having a bright future?

Is it now up to gohens to find a new coach and staff?? "You can't be serious".
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 am

tenn hen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 am
Hey guys- we have an exciting matchup Saturday with a" tough" 1-4 Stony Brook to look forward to :roll: :lol: The "glory" of the spring season has vanished even though we never really defeated a quality team and were massacred by SDSU- but we were #5 in the country by all the good ole boys who put our their polls and keep their coaching fraternity appeased and collecting nice cushy salaries and jobs. Cynical? well maybe reality as even many Blue Hen fans are now aware of DR's issues.

OMG- what a state of decay we are in :( :(

I agree< as posted< that CR hired what was a "safe" DR to put things in order but the contract price was off the charts. I thought it was strange to make a snatch of a fellow CAA coach and then later hire another CAA coach in Ambrose. we have been "paying" for it ever since!! I remember being scathingly attacked for my thoughts on DR many years ago after watching a few years of his conservative, stubborn leadership. I hope we decide to hire an experienced qualified group to select a new coach. I don't mean to imply that recruiting CR was a mistake as athletic director. She has proven to be an excellent financial person as her ability to get our WAC, stadium campaign accomplished and completed, but ...... Our athletic teams have become predominately mediocre during her tenure. In general we schedule many mediocre opponents that should ensure winning records. So do continue the STATUS QUO or maybe attempt to build a major university into a quality athletic program. If the Dakotas can do it, why not UD? Why are other previous unknown schools passing UD and now having a bright future?

[/quote]
Thank U!!!!!!!

I think some actually believe it's the way to go????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

BlueHen1985
UD Class: 1985

Post by BlueHen1985 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:12 am

Cluck U wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am

Carty has loads of talent

If you bring Sam Houston’s talent to Delaware even our coaches could win
Nope.

Sammy's D attacks and disrupts. That is by design. We have some talent on D...it is not being used properly...by design. The punt formation...by design. All of what is happening at UD is by design. Rocco's design.

Rocco chooses to waste talent in order to do things his way. He believes his way will win. Hard to see Rocco bringing in talent that disrupts or causes chaos anywhere on the field because Rocco doesn't like disruptions or chaos.

As for Carty...I'm all in favor. Except for his odd (one could say stubborn) habit of not gaining one yard on third/fourth down. That might be the downfall of Sammy. They have a good OL, a great RB, and some QBs who can run, but they really don't have much success with running the ball right at you on short yardage. They have two very talented centers playing Guard and Tackle (injury adjustments) so they might be a little small. But, they have some solid TEs who can block. Just haven't figured those short yardage issues out yet. Drive stoppers. Gotta' fix that to have a chance.

Anyway...after 5 seasons, we need to see a change.
Rocco chooses to waste talent in order to do things his way.
PERFECTLY SAID! Thankful that others see this too.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:38 am

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am
The entire season will likely have to play out and then the UD will make a final decision.

For those of you who believe Stonybrook won't be a worthy opponent this weekend, remember they took URI to overtime the week before they played us and this is another "road" game heading up north.
The first statement is a no brainer. Rocco isn't going anywhere until the end of the season (but that still doesn't mean that the fans can't voice their opinions about Rocco while supporting the team).

The second statement was going to be said by somebody on here, and it is, unfortunately, reflective of the current state of OUR program...not URI's. We are struggling enough that we have to worry about every opponent...no matter how bad they are...and not just in the, "coach speak" way. But it is great comedy to hear from the experts about how "good" these 1-5, 1-4, 0-5 teams are.

We, of course, have a murderer's row coming up...I can't wait for the breakdown of powerful Dixie State's game versus Montana. :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:46 am

85, Cluck states it eloquently but that Rocco problem has been talked about for years on here by pretty much everyone

Will Knight missed a block in practice

Henderson tossed a not so tight spiral in practice

It’s frustrating when better players don’t play early and often
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:46 am
85, Cluck states it eloquently but that Rocco problem has been talked about for years on here by pretty much everyone

Will Knight missed a block in practice

Henderson tossed a not so tight spiral in practice

It’s frustrating when better players don’t play early and often
It appears to many that is the Rocco Way. If the Hens won a lot more including playoff games, few would care. But now in year five, we are still where we are which is better than where we were with Brock but not close to where we should be.

77HEN

Post by 77HEN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:38 am
BlueHenBobby wrote:
The entire season will likely have to play out and then the UD will make a final decision.

For those of you who believe Stonybrook won't be a worthy opponent this weekend, remember they took URI to overtime the week before they played us and this is another "road" game heading up north.
The first statement is a no brainer. Rocco isn't going anywhere until the end of the season (but that still doesn't mean that the fans can't voice their opinions about Rocco while supporting the team).

The second statement was going to be said by somebody on here, and it is, unfortunately, reflective of the current state of OUR program...not URI's. We are struggling enough that we have to worry about every opponent...no matter how bad they are...and not just in the, "coach speak" way. But it is great comedy to hear from the experts about how "good" these 1-5, 1-4, 0-5 teams are.

We, of course, have a murderer's row coming up...I can't wait for the breakdown of powerful Dixie State's game versus Montana. :lol:
I drove through St. George yesterday and they had “Beat the Hens” signs hanging all over the place, even up on the Temple and the Red Rock Cliffs. They are focused on this one as a winnable game. Honestly, though, I bet they will be getting some good CA talent over time.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 pm

77HEN wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 pm

I drove through St. George yesterday and they had “Beat the Hens” signs hanging all over the place, even up on the Temple and the Red Rock Cliffs. They are focused on this one as a winnable game. Honestly, though, I bet they will be getting some good CA talent over time.
Beautiful parts of the country out there, 77! Make sure you get away from the lights and see the sky at night as it was meant to be seen.

My neighbor and I were just talking about travel in the US. Plenty of natural wonders to see...yet far too many people never take the time to go traveling to see the awesome parts of this country, especially by car. Easiest when one is young or retired...and the young part lends itself more to camping. These days, if I tell Mrs. Cluck I'd like to go camping in a tent, I'm going to be alone in that tent. :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

77HEN

Post by 77HEN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 pm
77HEN wrote:

Beautiful parts of the country out there, 77! Make sure you get away from the lights and see the sky at night as it was meant to be seen.

My neighbor and I were just talking about travel in the US. Plenty of natural wonders to see...yet far too many people never take the time to go traveling to see the awesome parts of this country, especially by car. Easiest when one is young or retired...and the young part lends itself more to camping. These days, if I tell Mrs. Cluck I'd like to go camping in a tent, I'm going to be alone in that tent. :lol:
We were in Palm Springs / Indian Wells for the rescheduled tennis tournament. The solar panel farm just west of Vegas is impressive. We drove by Allegiant Field in Vegas on Sunday only to see Gruden has resigned from the Raiders now. Went from the intense desert sun and 95 deg heat to getting pasted by a snow storm at home last night! Fun time of year.

HensRock
Site Admin

Post by HensRock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 pm

77HEN wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
BlueHenBobby wrote:

Our blood is in the water now. URI is not good. Stony Brook is really not good. We should beat Stony. But Dixie State honestly has me worried. One thing for sure, that will be a battle-hardened team by the time they get to Newark. They obviously have this game circled as the one ranked team (of the 7 they play this year) that they have a chance to beat.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!

93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm

77HEN wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
BlueHenBobby wrote:

That's odd that they have signs up for three games out. They still have to play Tarleton State and SF Austin at home first before they travel here. Why are we such a big deal to them? They have far better and more exciting teams on their schedule, like #1 Sam Houston. Plus, they already played South Dakota State, Montana, UC Davis, and Weber State. Their scheduler was ambitious and perhaps sadistic.

Also, I just spent two days in St George in August with my sons on our annual summer trip. That was between visiting Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks and then heading to Vegas and Death Valley National Park. We're at 46 states visited. We'll knock out the last four next year.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012

HensRock
Site Admin

Post by HensRock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm

93BlueHen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm
That's odd that they have signs up for three games out. They still have to play Tarleton State and SF Austin at home first before they travel here. Why are we such a big deal to them?
Because we are the only ranked FCS team on their schedule they think they can beat.

Unfortunately for them, we probably won't be ranked any more when they get here.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!

93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm

HensRock wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm
93BlueHen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm
That's odd that they have signs up for three games out. They still have to play Tarleton State and SF Austin at home first before they travel here. Why are we such a big deal to them?
Because we are the only ranked FCS team on their schedule they think they can beat.

Unfortunately for them, we probably won't be ranked any more when they get here.
They play seven Top 25 teams, which is nuts. We're actually smack dab in the middle of that group, with SHSU, SDSU, and Montana above us and UC Davis, Weber St, and Missouri St below us. So, I still don't get the fascination, unless we're just one of 11 "Beat <insert school>" signs that they put up before the season started.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012