IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: IT IS what IT IS, NOW WHAT?

Post by 77HEN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm

93BlueHen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm
HensRock wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm
93BlueHen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm
That's odd that they have signs up for three games out. They still have to play Tarleton State and SF Austin at home first before they travel here. Why are we such a big deal to them?
Because we are the only ranked FCS team on their schedule they think they can beat.

Unfortunately for them, we probably won't be ranked any more when they get here.
They play seven Top 25 teams, which is nuts. We're actually smack dab in the middle of that group, with SHSU, SDSU, and Montana above us and UC Davis, Weber St, and Missouri St below us. So, I still don't get the fascination, unless we're just one of 11 "Beat <insert school>" signs that they put up before the season started.
Sorry, I did go through St. George but that was mostly a rhetorical post. Come to Idaho if you haven’t been here yet, it is one beautiful state.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:41 pm

77HEN wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm
93BlueHen wrote:
HensRock wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Because we are the only ranked FCS team on their schedule they think they can beat.

Unfortunately for them, we probably won't be ranked any more when they get here.
They play seven Top 25 teams, which is nuts. We're actually smack dab in the middle of that group, with SHSU, SDSU, and Montana above us and UC Davis, Weber St, and Missouri St below us. So, I still don't get the fascination, unless we're just one of 11 "Beat <insert school>" signs that they put up before the season started.
Sorry, I did go through St. George but that was mostly a rhetorical post. Come to Idaho if you haven’t been here yet, it is one beautiful state.
Our four states left to make it to 50 are Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. My sons want to hit all 50 before they go to college, and my oldest is a junior this year. We're definitely doing the first three next summer. The only debate left is what time of year to visit Alaska.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:25 pm

93BlueHen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:41 pm
77HEN wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:30 pm
93BlueHen wrote:

Our four states left to make it to 50 are Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. My sons want to hit all 50 before they go to college, and my oldest is a junior this year. We're definitely doing the first three next summer. The only debate left is what time of year to visit Alaska.
Awesome, Couer d’Alene is beautiful and just near Spokane and a favorite Hen opponent EWU. Boise is nice (and close to OR) and eastern ID is fantastic near the Tetons, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. Come in the winter if you like to ski. I am now splitting time between here and Kennett Square. I will be back for the JMU game but am very afraid to watch a potential beat down in Del Stadium.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 am
Hey guys- we have an exciting matchup Saturday with a" tough" 1-4 Stony Brook to look forward to :roll: :lol: The "glory" of the spring season has vanished even though we never really defeated a quality team and were massacred by SDSU- but we were #5 in the country by all the good ole boys who put our their polls and keep their coaching fraternity appeased and collecting nice cushy salaries and jobs. Cynical? well maybe reality as even many Blue Hen fans are now aware of DR's issues.

OMG- what a state of decay we are in :( :(

I agree< as posted< that CR hired what was a "safe" DR to put things in order but the contract price was off the charts. I thought it was strange to make a snatch of a fellow CAA coach and then later hire another CAA coach in Ambrose. we have been "paying" for it ever since!! I remember being scathingly attacked for my thoughts on DR many years ago after watching a few years of his conservative, stubborn leadership. I hope we decide to hire an experienced qualified group to select a new coach. I don't mean to imply that recruiting CR was a mistake as athletic director. She has proven to be an excellent financial person as her ability to get our WAC, stadium campaign accomplished and completed, but ...... Our athletic teams have become predominately mediocre during her tenure. In general we schedule many mediocre opponents that should ensure winning records. So do continue the STATUS QUO or maybe attempt to build a major university into a quality athletic program. If the Dakotas can do it, why not UD? Why are other previous unknown schools passing UD and now having a bright future?

Is it now up to gohens to find a new coach and staff?? "You can't be serious".
Let me clarify- in no way was I implying that Stonybrook is a good team. However truer words have not been spoken than saying almost any team we play till the end of the season will be a challenge for UD. Not sure where URI will land. They were better than us, but I'm not sure what that means.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 pm
So today showed what most of us have known from watching the previous 4 games this season. THIS TEAM IS NOT GOOD. We are a mediocre CAA team, in a CAA that is not what it used to be. Every game with the exception of Dixie and possible WM can go either way. NOVA and JMU are more than likely losses. The frustrating thing is the same issues we have had over the last 4 years with poor OL play, lack of pass rush, inconsistent QB play, and poor special teams play. Everything up to this point shows we ARE what WE ARE and the coach is WHAT HE IS. That is boring, stubborn, and consistently mediocre.

As for this season Henderson is done and may not play for us ever again. Our top OL in Kroll and receiver Pitts may transfer also. Who can blame them?

In terms of infrastructure to be successful from a University standpoint what we have now are the things KC Keeler dreamed of. 60 million dollar new facility and stadium upgrades, top 10 in FCS. What we have now on the field does not rise to these standards.

What it looks like is going to happen is Rocco is going to limp through this season and get between 4 and 6 wins. This should lead to the end of his tenure here. Does anyone think he gets renewed without making the playoffs or with a 6 and 5 record or worse? Next week should be a WIN however If we lose two more in a row is it time to give Rojas or Ambrose a chance to be HC for remainder of season? Lots of football left RIGHT?

For all of you positive folks who say I should not be a fan anymore it is possible that MAYBE all of a sudden Paoletti can throw, our OL can block, and our pass rush becomes a factor and we beat JMU, NOVA and make it to the semis again! It can happen and the team should continue to fight to get better week in and week out, even it we continue to disappoint each individual player should realize the new staff will watch the tape and make decisions for next season based on performance. What are the chance of this happening? I would LOVE TO BE WRONG AND FOR ROCCO AND THE TEAM TO TAKE WHAT I AM SAYING AND SHOVE IT UP MY A. IF YOUR READING THIS PLEASE DO!

So if the above does not happen what's next? Roccos is out and we lose Henderson, Kroll, Pitts and Plack to FBS. What does Chrissy do and how fast does she does she do it? We should be able to attract a top notch coach with the hunger to build a national championship level team with the resources we possess. This next coaching search will be nothing like the last 2 and maybe its something we should be EXCITED ABOUT?
Hensfansince2003, I largely agree but why will the next coaching search be nothing like like the last 2? Also, I forget who the other two final candidates were when Rocco was selected but I remember that I was unimpressed with those others and that Rocco appeared to be the no brainer choice based on the competition and his resume. Given that history, what makes you so confident that "We should be able to attract a top notch coach with the hunger to build a national championship level team with the resources we possess"?.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Section J wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm
It looked to me that URI was bigger faster stronger, meaning better they had athletes than we had.

Rocco is failing in the aspect of his job that by itself would make the most difference irrespective of coaching style, RECRUITING.

What did Joe C use to say, "it ain't the x's and o's.....
Like many of UD' s CAA and non-conference opponents, URI probably has many athletes on their FB team who couldn't gain admission to UD and if they did would flunk out because UD won't coddle them and ensure they stay eligible.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:07 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm
Section J wrote:
It looked to me that URI was bigger faster stronger, meaning better they had athletes than we had.

Rocco is failing in the aspect of his job that by itself would make the most difference irrespective of coaching style, RECRUITING.

Like many of UD' s CAA and non-conference opponents, URI probably has many athletes on their FB team who couldn't gain admission to UD and if they did would flunk out because UD won't coddle them and ensure they stay eligible.
Every time I read a statement like this,it gives me a good chuckle!!! 🙄
#GoHens

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:07 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Section J wrote:

Me too. The bottom is hopefully near if someone makes this argument against football lowly Rhode Island, a fellow state flag ship university.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Section J wrote:

ALL of our athletes are coddled. Cripes, we just built a $60mm facility that allows the student athletes to work out, eat, rest and...wait for it...study. They have people (staff, TA's, other students) assigned to them to assist them with their studies and to monitor and prioritize their progress towards their graduation. We even had a coach follow players to classes. :lol: Heck, the Honors program students probably doesn't get as much dedicated assistance.

That is not a knock. Student athletes, especially those on scholarships, are an investment, so the university wants to see that our players succeed. It takes an enormous amount of time to be a student athlete on varsity teams as much of your day is spent practicing/working out/studying film (on opponents, not for class), etc. That is why UD just made it easier for our athletes by building the new facilities as a one stop shopping experience for all of the student athletes' physical and mental needs.

However, despite the effort made by UD to help student athletes, not all make the necessary effort and dedication to successfully balance their classwork with their athletic endeavors (and that has happened with every coach that has been here at Delaware, but for some reason we just don't hear much about that).

But yeah, keep thinking that UD is the pristine Ivy League level leader of the CAA. :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:38 am

"Given that history, what makes you so confident that "We should be able to attract a top notch coach with the hunger to build a national championship level team with the resources we possess"?."

Rocco is 61 now and I don't know if he wants to retire. My guess is he will be tendered a two year deal. Given that, he must be replaced but by who? Here's an idea. Talk to the AD at JMU. In recent years, I think they have hired two or three football coaches to replace others who have moved on to better jobs. Here's the rub....in each case, they did nor miss a beat in quickly finding a replacement and the program did not appear to suffer for it.. UD, OTH seems to drag the process out with CYA national searches and such. Chrissie needs to have a running database of potential replacements for all UD sports. I recall the disastrous treatment of the Harvard football coach hire prior to KC and think it may have tainted the process (Brock excluded) in all sports but mainly football and basketball.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 am

the Front Porch( a valid concept) appears to be closing!!!! Assanis, the BOT, and our most influential alumni need to step up to the plate and demand success. history is repeating itself under Rocco. I pray that our basketball team will finally come through in MI's 6th year. We have to get to the Big Dance in both mwns and womens basketball. NOW!!!!!!

This board's frustration and anger is building to a HIGH level. I never felt we could ever get to this point. Even our most historically vocal supporters have joined in the call for a major change in leadership to try to rebuild our trust. Responsibility points to the top leadership!!

I'm truly torn whether to rout for our team Saturday or hope to let the chips fall so that the necessary changes required will become so self evident that even our conservative BOT will step up. This pattern year after year cannot continue. It is as has been said repeatedly here at gohens the true example of INSANITY.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 am

Hens79 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 am
Hengrad07 wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:

Me too. The bottom is hopefully near if someone makes this argument against football lowly Rhode Island, a fellow state flag ship university.
Agreed, sweet Moses, we're not an elite Ivy, the roster's not filled with tons of ChemE's here or something.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:08 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 am
Hens79 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 am
Hengrad07 wrote:

Agreed, sweet Moses, we're not an elite Ivy, the roster's not filled with tons of ChemE's here or something.
I never said that UD athletes are Ivy level elite. Just compare UD's FB roster with URI's (and others in CAA & FCS) see where the players went to HS and are from, and look at URI's mercenary transfers (e.g., the URI starting QB and his journey to URI. If you still believe that the academic requirements for athlete admission and retention are comparable at UD & URI, I give up.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Section J wrote:

ALL of our athletes are coddled. Cripes, we just built a $60mm facility that allows the student athletes to work out, eat, rest and...wait for it...study. They have people (staff, TA's, other students) assigned to them to assist them with their studies and to monitor and prioritize their progress towards their graduation. We even had a coach follow players to classes. :lol: Heck, the Honors program students probably doesn't get as much dedicated assistance.

That is not a knock. Student athletes, especially those on scholarships, are an investment, so the university wants to see that our players succeed. It takes an enormous amount of time to be a student athlete on varsity teams as much of your day is spent practicing/working out/studying film (on opponents, not for class), etc. That is why UD just made it easier for our athletes by building the new facilities as a one stop shopping experience for all of the student athletes' physical and mental needs.

However, despite the effort made by UD to help student athletes, not all make the necessary effort and dedication to successfully balance their classwork with their athletic endeavors (and that has happened with every coach that has been here at Delaware, but for some reason we just don't hear much about that).

But yeah, keep thinking that UD is the pristine Ivy League level leader of the CAA. :lol:
CluckU, Good post even though we disagree about the differences in ten extent to which UD and competitors coddle their athletes academically. More importantly, I agree with all of the time demands placed on athletes everywhere and question their ability to also purse NLI opportunities without their academic and/or athletic perromance suffering.