UD No Longer Quarterback U...

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Henzone

Re: UD No Longer Quarterback U...

Post by Henzone » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Just catching up on reading many of these. Cluck what are we blaming the transfer portal for QB depth?

Delaware didn’t lose anyone, much less at QB in the transfer portal. If Gwynn is really the #2 QB which is hard to believe then our recruiting process under Rocco needs to be re-examined.

Yesterday was a showcase for back up QB’s in college football! Did anyone catch Oklahoma’s BACKUP QB save their season yesterday? Oh and did anyone see #1 Alabama lose to A&M’s BACKUP QB??
AP 10/11
"Having a quarterback capable of coming off the bench to win a game is becoming more rare in college football. Experienced players tend to transfer out, looking for playing time and leaving a lot of teams with backups that leave a lot to be desired.

Not everyone is as lucky as Oklahoma to have a player as good as Williams, who can make up for not knowing exactly what he is doing by being one of the most talented players on the field. "

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:07 am

Henzone wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 am
bluehenbillk wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Just catching up on reading many of these. Cluck what are we blaming the transfer portal for QB depth?

Delaware didn’t lose anyone, much less at QB in the transfer portal. If Gwynn is really the #2 QB which is hard to believe then our recruiting process under Rocco needs to be re-examined.

Yesterday was a showcase for back up QB’s in college football! Did anyone catch Oklahoma’s BACKUP QB save their season yesterday? Oh and did anyone see #1 Alabama lose to A&M’s BACKUP QB??
AP 10/11
"Having a quarterback capable of coming off the bench to win a game is becoming more rare in college football. Experienced players tend to transfer out, looking for playing time and leaving a lot of teams with backups that leave a lot to be desired.

Not everyone is as lucky as Oklahoma to have a player as good as Williams, who can make up for not knowing exactly what he is doing by being one of the most talented players on the field. "
How long have Paoletti and Pribula been at UD? One we know isn’t allowed to pass and the other isn’t allowed to play.

Our practice watchers should tell us if Pribula is getting any snaps with the #1 offense in practice. He should be.

VA hen
UD Class: 2022

Post by VA hen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 am

Getting the backup QBs in the games is a discussion I have with my son all this time as we watch the games. Going in and handing off the ball during the last 3 minutes is not game experience. Coach needs to put them in earlier if we are leading or getting blown out, such as the Rutgers game. We need to know what they can do before the top guy goes down with an injury. I also believe he needs to do this for other positions as well. Do we really need Whitehead on kickoffs and risk injury?

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:45 am

Given DR's stubborn streak, is there any reason to doubt that Gwynn is the next UD starter at QB after Henderson is gone (whenever that is and for whatever reason)?

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:08 am

The Salukis, who just beat SDSU, are starting a 5'9" QB, Nic Baker, a high school recruit. He was the guy that last year beat #1 NDSU at NDSU and ended their 39 game winning streak. Baker got injured and in came their 5'10" QB gunslinging back up, Stone Labanowitz, a JUCO transfer, who essentially won two playoff games last year (the play-in game versus SELA and the win against Weber) before falling in a nail biter against SDSU. But, Labanowitz transferred out after having lost the starting job back to Baker. Waiting in the wings? Two FBS transfers and a high school recruit. :lol:

So many QBs...and only so many starting positions. Yet somehow, SDSU and NDSU both got themselves a quality QB transfer.

Oh...when recruiting QBs, it helps to have an exciting offense, a good OL, and a coaching staff that can develop a player's talents.
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:22 am

Excellent points Cluck and don’t be surprised when Southern Illinois wins a championship

Our Fullback/QB Paoletti, who is not allowed to pass carried the ball 12 times on Saturday.... No knock on Paoletti at all, but this is losing football mentality

Good grief don’t we have any other plays?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Rumors floating Spencer Rattler may enter the transfer portal........ :shock: :? :D
Delaware Football - I thought we were back....but we're actually not.... :roll:

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:58 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:51 pm
Rumors floating Spencer Rattler may enter the transfer portal........ :shock: :? :D
Really? QBs that don't play well can get benched and another player gets to play? Wow. Tell Rocco.

UD27

Post by UD27 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:22 am
Excellent points Cluck and don’t be surprised when Southern Illinois wins a championship

Our Fullback/QB Paoletti, who is not allowed to pass carried the ball 12 times on Saturday.... No knock on Paoletti at all, but this is losing football mentality

Good grief don’t we have any other plays?
Maybe they hope defenses will be stymied by not knowing if Paoletti will run right or left.
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Henzone wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am
wacko4flacco wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 am
I didn’t see the game yesterday so I can’t comment on the qb play.

Henderson is a special player, but it has been obvious for years with his frame you would need more than 1 qb. Do we have that?

I have to admit Paoletti is an enigma. In delco he threw like a champ. Now he looks more like a linebacker used to perform 33 dives. I don’t get it, how did he lose the ability to pass?

I’m hoping one of the three on the bench can play. Am I crazy?
Drop by practice some day and make your own assessment on Paoletti just like our other experts do. Say hi to Carrib, he apparently has seen quite a bit of all the QB's in action.

Gwynn can play, Pribula can play and Bollinger can play. Can they play on Saturday? We know Gwynn has shown he can complete passes and move the team. How he reacts to the defense is a work in progress. Ambrose's name is never mentioned. He's making the decisions on the offensive side of the ball and what he wants most is for Gwynn to progress weekly. If he is forced to play Pribula the process may start at square one again.

Had our punter not decided to run up his protector's butt we might be 4-1
I largely agree, but I maintain that you cannot fully evaluate a player based just on practice. You need to see that player in game(s). Some players look good in practice, but not in games. Other players may look mediocre or not be given much opportunity in practice but shine in games. I have expressed this view before and at least some here disagreed with that view.

Speaking of practice, has true FR QB O'Connor been given any opportunities and if so how has he looked?