UD No Longer Quarterback U...

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
finpxz1

UD No Longer Quarterback U...

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:56 pm

There seems to be one common denominator that can directly be attributed to the struggles over the past decade of Blue Hens Football…and that is sub-par quarterback play. Ever since Pat Devlin left Newark after the 2010 season, we have struggled to find consistent QB play. And the pattern spans multiple coaches over that period…starting with KC, continuing with Brock, and now again with DR. And this is from a program that had become known for producing outstanding quarterbacks year after year…Gannon, Brunner, Komlo, Nagy, Vergantino, Hall, Flacco, Devlin, etc.

We FINALLY thought we had an answer in Henderson, but the poor kid just can’t stay on the field. I just don’t understand how this single, most important position continues to be an issue for this program. Other schools seemingly shake a tree and a QB drops from the sky…Nova, JMU, New Hampshire…until we get back to strong quarterback play, I’m afraid the struggles and inconsistent play will continue. WE MUST GET THIS FIXED!!!

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: UD No Longer Quarterback U...

Post by dchen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:19 am

Where is our Ricky Santos?

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:42 am

finpxl1...love your posts.

But...we've had our Postelwhaits (it is 1:36am...forgive my spelling) and other QB failures over a half a century, but QB struggles aren't uncommon for the other teams playing football (check out Penn State today). It is the nature of the game and the impotence (you know, I was going to correct the autocorrect misspelling, but it actually fits, so it will stay) of the position.

However, some (*cough*) experts have said (repeatedly) that we have more QB depth than ever, so hang in there...we are about to turn a corner. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:21 am

I get that, but to go this long without addressing the QB problem is THE REASON we’ve struggled and will continue to struggle until it has been fixed. Starting to feel like our successful spring season is a distant memory already.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:31 am

finpxz1 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:21 am
I get that, but to go this long without addressing the QB problem is THE REASON we’ve struggled and will continue to struggle until it has been fixed. Starting to feel like our successful spring season is a distant memory already.
:D

Keeler successfully filled the QB position. The fact that some clowns complain about one season is proof enough that the position was a strong point in Keeler's tenure.

But yes, Brock failed miserably to field a successful team with a successful QB...and when he finally recruited a QB who might win...Brock didn't play him. :lol:

And here we are with Rocco...with the deepest, mostests telentedest, mostest awesomenest, everestset QBs in all the land...and we don't have a QB that Rocco recruited who can win. :oops:

Year 5. O-fer...so far.

And that is just the start. :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 am

Cluck U wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:31 am
finpxz1 wrote:

Keeler successfully filled the QB position. The fact that some clowns complain about one season is proof enough that the position was a strong point in Keeler's tenure.

But yes, Brock failed miserably to field a successful team with a successful QB...and when he finally recruited a QB who might win...Brock didn't play him. :lol:

And here we are with Rocco...with the deepest, mostests telentedest, mostest awesomenest, everestset QBs in all the land...and we don't have a QB that Rocco recruited who can win. :oops:

Year 5. O-fer...so far.

Yep Cluck all the way around including UD was QB U under the”CEO”. Also, except for these games between injuries and Henderson the manning of the QB position has been an utter failure. The irony of that is off the charts. It got one coach fired and it may get another one. And UD wasn’t “exposed at QB” yesterday. Anyone that saw Gwynn play in high school should have known this was coming if he ever had to start. To answer someone else’s questions (being coy), I couldn’t imagine seeing Gwynn start at QB for the Hens after seeing him play in HS. But I had to consider the Hens recent history that Walker started for over two years for two different coaches, so anything was possible. Oh well, hope the weather is good for tailgating the rest of the season. Finally, I wonder if we will hear more accusations of “stomping our feet and whining” or other similar refrains? Again, being coy.

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 am

I didn’t see the game yesterday so I can’t comment on the qb play.

Henderson is a special player, but it has been obvious for years with his frame you would need more than 1 qb. Do we have that?

I have to admit Paoletti is an enigma. In delco he threw like a champ. Now he looks more like a linebacker used to perform 33 dives. I don’t get it, how did he lose the ability to pass?

I’m hoping one of the three on the bench can play. Am I crazy?
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 am

Hens79 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 am
Cluck U wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:31 am
finpxz1 wrote:

Year 5. O-fer...so far.

Yep Cluck all the way around including UD was QB U under the”CEO”. Also, except for these games between injuries and Henderson the manning of the QB position has been an utter failure. The irony of that is off the charts. It got one coach fired and it may get another one. And UD wasn’t “exposed at QB” yesterday. Anyone that saw Gwynn play in high school should have known this was coming if he ever had to start. To answer someone else’s questions (being coy), I couldn’t imagine seeing Gwynn start at QB for the Hens after seeing him play in HS. But I had to consider the Hens recent history that Walker started for over two years for two different coaches, so anything was possible. Oh well, hope the weather is good for tailgating the rest of the season. Finally, I wonder if we will hear more accusations of “stomping our feet and whining” or other similar refrains? Again, being coy.
Zach was a pretty good H.S. quarterback considering that he played for a coach that only uses the QB position to hand off. He played opposite Henderson as a sophomore in the 2015 Delaware H.S Championship and threw two TD passes in that game. Colby was also on that team

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am

wacko4flacco wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 am

Henderson is a special player, but it has been obvious for years with his frame you would need more than 1 qb. Do we have that?

I have to admit Paoletti is an enigma. In delco he threw like a champ. Now he looks more like a linebacker used to perform 33 dives. I don’t get it, how did he lose the ability to pass?

Drop by practice some day and make your own assessment on Paoletti just like our other experts do. Say hi to Carrib, he apparently has seen quite a bit of all the QB's in action.

Gwynn can play, Pribula can play and Bollinger can play. Can they play on Saturday? We know Gwynn has shown he can complete passes and move the team. How he reacts to the defense is a work in progress. Ambrose's name is never mentioned. He's making the decisions on the offensive side of the ball and what he wants most is for Gwynn to progress weekly. If he is forced to play Pribula the process may start at square one again.

Had our punter not decided to run up his protector's butt we might be 4-1

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:50 am

Henzone wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am
wacko4flacco wrote:

Drop by practice some day and make your own assessment on Paoletti just like our other experts do. Say hi to Carrib, he apparently has seen quite a bit of all the QB's in action.

Gwynn can play, Pribula can play and Bollinger can play. Can they play on Saturday? We know Gwynn has shown he can complete passes and move the team. How he reacts to the defense is a work in progress. Ambrose's name is never mentioned. He's making the decisions on the offensive side of the ball and what he wants most is for Gwynn to progress weekly. If he is forced to play Pribula the process may start at square one again.

And here we come with the BS “come to practice” idiocy. And this is from the guy who told us Walker could play for over two years. Does the shameless doubling down when you are dead wrong ever end? No need to answer. And what other assessment do we need that Paoletti has only throw the ball once or twice while running the ball dozens of times in 5 games? What are we missing practice guru?

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 am

Keeler left a good starting QB & warrior for Brock in Trent Hurley! The 2013 team was loaded & would have had a deep playoff run, had the CEO not been fired! That team started out 7-2 & had leads late in the 4th quarter in 2 of the 3 final games!
#GoHens

Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:17 am

The bottom line is that you cannot be successful throwing interceptions even if you occasionally hit on a pass. The frequency of interceptions is alarming, 4 (should be 6) in one and a half games. I do think Ambrose deserves some of the blame. He didn’t help his young QB out much. Give him some manageable throws, quick release slants or how about throws to your TE. I don’t think I saw any completions to a TE the entire game, perhaps they were targeted and I missed it. I’ve never understood why they don’t throw more slants to Pitts. With his body, he can shield off the defender. I remember seeing Nolan hit Pitts on a quick slant for a TD which was tough to defend. We need to do more of that. Some of the throws yesterday looked in desperation with zero chance of being completed. The longer throws have too much air under them and take too long to reach a wide open receiver. Pitts made an outstanding catch on the pass ruled incomplete (still don’t understand that call at all, he clearly had his foot inbounds) but if the ball had gotten there sooner there would have never been any doubt.

RamblinRec
UD Class: 1975

Post by RamblinRec » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:20 am

Zach Gwynn seems to be a good game manager, but his lack of arm strength, and his lack of composure in the pocket when things start to collapse is a problem. When things start to collapse, you can see that he immediately wants to run and drops his eyes instead of still keeping them down field. He doesn't have the zip on the ball like Henderson does. One of these other scholarship QB's must be able to throw the ball better. If we do not have balance on offense, this is going to be a long season!

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:47 am

Hens79 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:50 am
Henzone wrote:
wacko4flacco wrote:

And here we come with the BS “come to practice” idiocy. And this is from the guy who told us Walker could play for over two years. Does the shameless doubling down when you are dead wrong ever end? No need to answer. And what other assessment do we need that Paoletti has only throw the ball once or twice while running the ball dozens of times in 5 games? What are we missing practice guru?
Yeah I don’t get the “come to practice” nonsense either. Hey, I wish I could but I’m not retired.

I simply asked why we never see Paoletti throw enough to get into any rhythm. Was it a poor recruiting job? Has he topped out? I don’t get it. There is NOTHING better than game day experience, but he never throws the ball. Everyone in the stadium knows why he’s in there, it’s puzzling.

I’ve listened to Keeler bashing for twenty years about transfers. At least he occasionally got it right. Henderson is far and away the best since Devlin, but that is one qb in the past 11 years, and not a knock, but he’s not durable.

Why can other fcs teams develop quarterbacks? I hope one of them pans out it is a shame to throw in the towel this early in the season.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:34 am

Henzone wrote:
wacko4flacco wrote:

Caribbean Hen watches as much FCS FOOTBALL as anyone including all our games, some multiple times, and reaches out to people that do go to Practices and games for input. He really puts alot of time into it and doesn't need to start going to practice to validate his knowledge.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019