Rocco Replacement

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Post Reply
User avatar
RalphD58
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:24 pm
UD Class: 1998

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by RalphD58 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 am

Redcoat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 am
If you are looking at the NFL pipeline surely someone like Carty would be your man? Would he come though?
I think it depends on what his goals are. Personally, I think being the Delaware head coach is one of the best jobs in the country. Heck, let's say they start him @ 300-400k a year, that's a pretty nice paycheck. If he does well, on his next contract, he's in the 500k range. Delaware is tax friendly, has good schools, close to the cities and beach. He'd never pay for a beer at any bar if he's successful. Even if he has down years, they won't fire him right away, that's friggin' obvious. So yes, I think he'd come here in a heartbeat or at least I would... 😂

User avatar
UD '01 grad
Posts: 2429
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 pm
UD Class: 2001

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by UD '01 grad » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:07 am

Is any coach, new or established, filling those Blue seats on the West Side or the bleachers on the East?

Enough people just don't care anymore. And any miracles forthcoming against JMU or Villanova doesn't change that.

As it has been for going on two decades now, you can't just roll out that blue and gold winged helmet to the field and expect automatic success.

One question: I haven't watched video of all the games but have we even attempted a trick play this year? Fake field goal, flea flicker, halfback pass?

GhostOfThePeeWall
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by GhostOfThePeeWall » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:12 am

Redcoat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 am
GhostOfThePeeWall wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Young, UD ties. Not a lot of coaching experience, but that probably would mean allowing your coordinators to, ya know, actually coordinate.

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/mike-adams
First post in a while. I love the spirit behind this idea since Pops bled Blue and Gold and was great fun to watch, but the man has only been coaching since February if I’m not mistaken. If you are looking at the NFL pipeline surely someone like Carty would be your man? Would he come though?
I'm just a huge fan of pops and would love to see him return to UD in some form. He's lived and breathed football his whole life, has a good head on his shoulders, seems to want to stay in the game through coaching, etc etc. Would love to see Carty as a coach here too. Honestly, a sack of potatoes as a head coach would be an improvement over what has been presented to us the last 2 weeks.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 10274
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1980
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:12 am

Conservatism is the staple of this HC on both sides of the ball. So if it's trick plays and imagination you are looking for, watching our games isn't the answer.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 6526
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by Cluck U » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:04 am

77HEN wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:43 pm
Someone should make Coach go out there at QB for a snap that’s live for the count of three. See what he thinks of it.
This is a fantastic post! :lol: :lol:
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

77HEN
Posts: 4668
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: I Have Returned!

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am

Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

Maddog@76
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm
UD Class: 1976
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by Maddog@76 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am

77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?

User avatar
wacko4flacco
Posts: 1718
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:03 pm
UD Class: 1990

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by wacko4flacco » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 am

Maddog@76 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am
77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?
Interesting post. Nova has had a couple keys IMO. A pretty consistent coaching staff. Nova has always been able to put solid quarterbacks on the field and when one gets hurt, they seem to have a capable backup.

Last but not least, Nova always seems to have a superior offensive line.

When I look at our recruiting I notice how seldom we seem to be in direct competition with Nova. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe there is something there.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

77HEN
Posts: 4668
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: I Have Returned!

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:25 am

Nova probably benefits from its BBall brand. But still, consistency and smarts go a long way.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

Attila the Hen
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by Attila the Hen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm
Why Ryan Carty?
Good question. Nothing against Ryan Carty, but would he really be ready for this challenge? A "Delaware" guy is not necessarily a requirement for me, but if you want someone with Delaware ties how about Hemphill or Ciarocca? Hemphill would be high on my list but he might be taking a pay cut. Pops is also high on my list (another guy that would have to take a pay cut) but lack of experience would definitely be a concern. I would think Pops would be as good a recruiter as we've ever had.

Udforever1
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by Udforever1 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am

RalphD58 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 am
Redcoat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 am
If you are looking at the NFL pipeline surely someone like Carty would be your man? Would he come though?
I think it depends on what his goals are. Personally, I think being the Delaware head coach is one of the best jobs in the country. Heck, let's say they start him @ 300-400k a year, that's a pretty nice paycheck. If he does well, on his next contract, he's in the 500k range. Delaware is tax friendly, has good schools, close to the cities and beach. He'd never pay for a beer at any bar if he's successful. Even if he has down years, they won't fire him right away, that's friggin' obvious. So yes, I think he'd come here in a heartbeat or at least I would... 😂
Rocco prior to his little COVID pay cut makes $609k. For comparison, Jamey Chadwell at Coastal made $375k last year until his major pay bump this past off season. Bit different results.

apict
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:19 pm
UD Class: 1973

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by apict » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am

I have bled Blue and Gold for over half a century. UD Football was one reason I went there. I personally knew Roger Mason, Ralph Borgess, Conway Hayman, Dennis Johnson… Anyone who was not on campus then has NO IDEA how much fun those games were or how much joy and pride derived from that Program. I long ago realized that Rocco was incapable of restoring even a glimmer of UD’s former glory, which is why (along with the attitudes of some of the posters here) I stopped posting. But, in the now apparently vain hope that I might see some indication of at least a partial return within my lifetime, I occasionally checked in to read the posts. What I just read in one of those posts made me feel I HAD to respond.
If, as that post said, today’s UD Football fans have been disrespectful and ignorant enough to chant “f**k Joe Bdn,” then you can take those chants and stick them where the sun never shines, which is where your heads and this Program are already stuck. You’re getting the results you deserve!
whoomp, whoomp, side of the head
whoomp 'em up side the head.
WHOOMP, WHOOMP, SIDE OF THE HEAD
KEEP A-WHOOMPIN' ON THE SIDE OF THE HEAD!

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 10274
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1980
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 am

Maddog@76 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am
77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?
Top notch leadership, excellent Coaching and good recruiting. Outworking the others as well.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

KevHen05
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 pm
UD Class: 2005

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by KevHen05 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am

apict wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
I have bled Blue and Gold for over half a century. UD Football was one reason I went there. I personally knew Roger Mason, Ralph Borgess, Conway Hayman, Dennis Johnson… Anyone who was not on campus then has NO IDEA how much fun those games were or how much joy and pride derived from that Program. I long ago realized that Rocco was incapable of restoring even a glimmer of UD’s former glory, which is why (along with the attitudes of some of the posters here) I stopped posting. But, in the now apparently vain hope that I might see some indication of at least a partial return within my lifetime, I occasionally checked in to read the posts. What I just read in one of those posts made me feel I HAD to respond.
If, as that post said, today’s UD Football fans have been disrespectful and ignorant enough to chant “f**k Joe Bdn,” then you can take those chants and stick them where the sun never shines, which is where your heads and this Program are already stuck. You’re getting the results you deserve!
There's a video floating around on social media that shows a football crowd at Delaware Stadium and has an audio clip of a "F JB" chant playing. It is such an obvious fake. I have not heard that chant (or any chant for that matter) in Delaware Stadium this season.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 10274
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1980
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:48 am

I have not heard that Childish Chant at Delaware stadium either.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Post Reply