Rocco Replacement

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:49 am

Attila the Hen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm
Why Ryan Carty?
Good question. Nothing against Ryan Carty, but would he really be ready for this challenge? A "Delaware" guy is not necessarily a requirement for me, but if you want someone with Delaware ties how about Hemphill or Ciarocca? Hemphill would be high on my list but he might be taking a pay cut. Pops is also high on my list (another guy that would have to take a pay cut) but lack of experience would definitely be a concern. I would think Pops would be as good a recruiter as we've ever had.
I would take Pops in a second because I believe he would really help recruit the kind of talent we need to win

Problem is somebody somewhere is not on board with this winning philosophy, what is the real reason Rocco has failed at Delaware?

Joe C said it best in one of his last posts and it’s in several signature lines on here including mine

I would encourage everybody on this board to use that signature line!
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 am

KevHen05 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am
apict wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
I have bled Blue and Gold for over half a century. UD Football was one reason I went there. I personally knew Roger Mason, Ralph Borgess, Conway Hayman, Dennis Johnson… Anyone who was not on campus then has NO IDEA how much fun those games were or how much joy and pride derived from that Program. I long ago realized that Rocco was incapable of restoring even a glimmer of UD’s former glory, which is why (along with the attitudes of some of the posters here) I stopped posting. But, in the now apparently vain hope that I might see some indication of at least a partial return within my lifetime, I occasionally checked in to read the posts. What I just read in one of those posts made me feel I HAD to respond.
If, as that post said, today’s UD Football fans have been disrespectful and ignorant enough to chant “f**k Joe Bdn,” then you can take those chants and stick them where the sun never shines, which is where your heads and this Program are already stuck. You’re getting the results you deserve!
There's a video floating around on social media that shows a football crowd at Delaware Stadium and has an audio clip of a "F JB" chant playing. It is such an obvious fake. I have not heard that chant (or any chant for that matter) in Delaware Stadium this season.
I agree. There’s an alternate chant more acceptable for polite society.
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

UDHens419
UD Class: 2003

Post by UDHens419 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:53 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:48 am
I have not heard that Childish Chant at Delaware stadium either.
I have not heard that either. I have been at every game except yesterday.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 pm

77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 am
KevHen05 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am
apict wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
I have bled Blue and Gold for over half a century. UD Football was one reason I went there. I personally knew Roger Mason, Ralph Borgess, Conway Hayman, Dennis Johnson… Anyone who was not on campus then has NO IDEA how much fun those games were or how much joy and pride derived from that Program. I long ago realized that Rocco was incapable of restoring even a glimmer of UD’s former glory, which is why (along with the attitudes of some of the posters here) I stopped posting. But, in the now apparently vain hope that I might see some indication of at least a partial return within my lifetime, I occasionally checked in to read the posts. What I just read in one of those posts made me feel I HAD to respond.
If, as that post said, today’s UD Football fans have been disrespectful and ignorant enough to chant “f**k Joe Bdn,” then you can take those chants and stick them where the sun never shines, which is where your heads and this Program are already stuck. You’re getting the results you deserve!
There's a video floating around on social media that shows a football crowd at Delaware Stadium and has an audio clip of a "F JB" chant playing. It is such an obvious fake. I have not heard that chant (or any chant for that matter) in Delaware Stadium this season.
I agree. There’s an alternate chant more acceptable for polite society.
Let’s go Brandon!!
Delaware Football - I thought we were back....but we're actually not.... :roll:

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:05 pm

wacko4flacco wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 am
Maddog@76 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am
77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?
Interesting post. Nova has had a couple keys IMO. A pretty consistent coaching staff. Nova has always been able to put solid quarterbacks on the field and when one gets hurt, they seem to have a capable backup.

Last but not least, Nova always seems to have a superior offensive line.

When I look at our recruiting I notice how seldom we seem to be in direct competition with Nova. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe there is something there.
Ironic that their listed O-line coach is Sean Devine (also their OC).

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm

His replacement will probably be........ no one.

If I am paying an employee $500K, then I am going to give that employee every opportunity to "get the ship straightened".

I think he gets at least another 2 seasons to do just that. We may not like it, but there is not much you can do about it.

//quickly runs out of this thread. 8)

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:44 pm

The January Man wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm

If I am paying an employee $500K, then I am going to give that employee every opportunity to "get the ship straightened".

I think he gets at least another 2 seasons to do just that. We may not like it, but there is not much you can do about it.

I believe you are Correct.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UD77
UD Class: 0

Post by UD77 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 pm

My guess, for what it is worth, is that the end of his contract is a perfect chance to make a change. That is if the season continues to circle the drain.

Does anyone know how much Pops makes as an assistant? I would guess less than he would at UD as a head coach. Pops would be great. Carty got pretty impressive jobs at UNH and Sammie for a young man. Maybe he is ready. UD sports stinks and is not getting any better. If sports is the way to advertise UD then we are using clipper magazine as our media.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am
RalphD58 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 am
Redcoat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 am
If you are looking at the NFL pipeline surely someone like Carty would be your man? Would he come though?
I think it depends on what his goals are. Personally, I think being the Delaware head coach is one of the best jobs in the country. Heck, let's say they start him @ 300-400k a year, that's a pretty nice paycheck. If he does well, on his next contract, he's in the 500k range. Delaware is tax friendly, has good schools, close to the cities and beach. He'd never pay for a beer at any bar if he's successful. Even if he has down years, they won't fire him right away, that's friggin' obvious. So yes, I think he'd come here in a heartbeat or at least I would... 😂
Rocco prior to his little COVID pay cut makes $609k. For comparison, Jamey Chadwell at Coastal made $375k last year until his major pay bump this past off season. Bit different results.
EVERYONE at UD was made “whole” with the influx of Federal Money! The “poor mouthing” BS is over! 😎
#GoHens

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:46 pm

As much as I’d like not to see Rocco retained I do see a possible path and it’s close to Rawak’s heart…the Jim Harbaugh path. Harbaugh underachieved his first few years and instead of firing him Michigan cut about 50% of his base salary and made his deal incentive laden so he had a chance to be in the neighborhood of his previous compensation with league or national titles and such.

Would Rocco take a deal if they came to him and said we’ll give you 300k base, 150k for winning the CAA and $150k for winning a NC??
Delaware Football - I thought we were back....but we're actually not.... :roll:

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 pm

[quote=bluehenbillk post_id=392891 time=1634499980 user_id=16]
As much as I’d like not to see Rocco retained I do see a possible path and it’s close to Rawak’s heart…the Jim Harbaugh path. Harbaugh underachieved his first few years and instead of firing him Michigan cut about 50% of his base salary and made his deal incentive laden so he had a chance to be in the neighborhood of his previous compensation with league or national titles and such.

Would Rocco take a deal if they came to him and said we’ll give you 300k base, 150k for winning the CAA and $150k for winning a NC??
[/quote

Is it about the money?

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:46 pm

No, Rocco is only here to bank money prior to retirement. If they take the money away he goes away, he is here because of money (his contract pays him the most in FCS and he has tons of incentives already in it). Saw an interesting post on the board that possibly Shinesburg was brought in to be groomed to takeover the program at some point.(I hope not based upon how bad the OL is under his leadership) Maybe Roccos retirement has already been planned in the near future? None of the people saying Rocco is a lock for renewal can answer this question "if he is a lock for renewal why didn't they do it after the Spring season?) Its usually in the best interest of the program for recruiting and other things to renew coaches contracts early if warranted.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm
bluehenbillk wrote:

No, Rocco is only here to bank money prior to retirement. If they take the money away he goes away,
That would be a win-win for everybody

Where would he go at this point anyway? Are they bringing back the Mr. Rogers show?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:52 pm

The January Man wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm

If I’m paying that kind of money, I’m looking for results.UD should have a bad case of buyer’s remorse and be looking for a change. BTW, your handle is a real long shot at this point
Chemical Engineering UD ‘81

Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:14 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm
bluehenbillk wrote:

No, Rocco is only here to bank money prior to retirement. If they take the money away he goes away, he is here because of money (his contract pays him the most in FCS and he has tons of incentives already in it). Saw an interesting post on the board that possibly Shinesburg was brought in to be groomed to takeover the program at some point.(I hope not based upon how bad the OL is under his leadership) Maybe Roccos retirement has already been planned in the near future? None of the people saying Rocco is a lock for renewal can answer this question "if he is a lock for renewal why didn't they do it after the Spring season?) Its usually in the best interest of the program for recruiting and other things to renew coaches contracts early if warranted.
If you're paid the most in the FCS... you should WIN the most in the FCS... It's a pretty simple negotiation for Chrissi and crew.