Rocco Replacement

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDHens419
UD Class: 2003

Re: Rocco Replacement

Post by UDHens419 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Firstand10BlueHens wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:14 pm
Hensfansince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm
bluehenbillk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:46 pm
As much as I’d like not to see Rocco retained I do see a possible path and it’s close to Rawak’s heart…the Jim Harbaugh path. Harbaugh underachieved his first few years and instead of firing him Michigan cut about 50% of his base salary and made his deal incentive laden so he had a chance to be in the neighborhood of his previous compensation with league or national titles and such.

Would Rocco take a deal if they came to him and said we’ll give you 300k base, 150k for winning the CAA and $150k for winning a NC??
No, Rocco is only here to bank money prior to retirement. If they take the money away he goes away, he is here because of money (his contract pays him the most in FCS and he has tons of incentives already in it). Saw an interesting post on the board that possibly Shinesburg was brought in to be groomed to takeover the program at some point.(I hope not based upon how bad the OL is under his leadership) Maybe Roccos retirement has already been planned in the near future? None of the people saying Rocco is a lock for renewal can answer this question "if he is a lock for renewal why didn't they do it after the Spring season?) Its usually in the best interest of the program for recruiting and other things to renew coaches contracts early if warranted.
If you're paid the most in the FCS... you should WIN the most in the FCS... It's a pretty simple negotiation for Chrissi and crew.
Hope so because empty seats aren’t gonna pay that type of salary.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:07 pm

The last ten years of this program have been new territory for Hen fans. One coach fired for largely petty reasons. His replacement was an incompetent Buddy hire. A new administration saw that and fired him. His replacement seemed like the right guy and a safe choice. To date that guy has woefully under-performed. What the team's performance is for the remainder of the season, only time will tell. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say we stand a very good chance of another losing season. Could be as bad as 4-7. Equally new territory is predicting what the University's response would be. Some believe he will be extended and some that he will be let go. From my perspective there should be nothing holding them back from letting the coach go. There is no payout to stop them. 2 out of 5 seasons may be losers. The other two mediocre. Then there is another season that is on the surface good but that view is not universally shared. To me the coach has not proved himself worthy of an extension. Extending him will only prolong the agony and uncertainty of where the program is headed. 4 seasons of losing and mediocrity and questions about last spring should make the decision easy. Ego shouldn't be a reason to avoid issuing accountability. Either the University wants to give this program a chance to excel or it doesn't. A yes to the extension is a slap in the face to those who the University constantly (and I do mean constantly) inundates with requests for dollars. I am tired of enduring the mediocrity (or worse) this program has provided for the last decade while constantly getting requests for more money.

93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Remember when Danny Rocco was the coach who never had a losing season?

He's about to become the coach who had losing seasons in 40% of the years he coached at Delaware.

That doesn't pass muster at Delaware. Not even close. It's beyond time to move on and get someone in here who knows how to recruit studs, motivate talent, and win championships.

To the people questioning Carty: He was FCS coordinator of the year last year, and he has one more FCS national championship ring than Danny Rocco does with a clipboard and headphones on, plus another as a player. I vividly remember him sending in signals on the sidelines in Newark and Chattanooga. He was an intense fellow. He was also a UD team captain in 2006. He's another one of those fellows who bleeds blue and gold, like the last coach who won a championship here. Never underestimate the power of swagger, energy, and heart. He need some of that.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm

93BlueHen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

He's about to become the coach who had losing seasons in 40% of the years he coached at Delaware.

That doesn't pass muster at Delaware. Not even close. It's beyond time to move on and get someone in here who knows how to recruit studs, motivate talent, and win championships.

To the people questioning Carty: He was FCS coordinator of the year last year, and he has one more FCS national championship ring than Danny Rocco does with a clipboard and headphones on, plus another as a player. I vividly remember him sending in signals on the sidelines in Newark and Chattanooga. He was an intense fellow. He was also a UD team captain in 2006. He's another one of those fellows who bleeds blue and gold, like the last coach who won a championship here. Never underestimate the power of swagger, energy, and heart. He need some of that.
93, we ask about Ryan Carty to hear more about Ryan Carly like the great examples you just gave.

Here is the thing though, it’s been more than 10 years spanning three different coaches and none of them have won over that time at Delaware.

So when you say it doesn’t cut the muster at Delaware, not even close... Well for us fans that’s true, but is it really true for the University of Delaware?

KC encouraged and head butted with the University to do major upgrades but for whatever reason they refused to invest the money into the football program to bring it into the 21st-century... And what did KC get for that? He got fired but later did what he had been asking for all along

Yes man Brock was just happy to have a job

Now Rocco’s football program is struggling, I’m no fan of RVR but it makes you wonder how a successful Coach comes into the the FCS Penthouse and can’t win. Are there restrictions on the kinds of players they want?

I almost think someone somewhere is ashamed that Delaware was once known as a football school and they are determined to keep it that way.
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UDHens419
UD Class: 2003

Post by UDHens419 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm
[quote=93BlueHen post_id=392903 time=<a href="tel:1634519452">1634519452</a> user_id=6211]

93, we ask about Ryan Carty to hear more about Ryan Carly like the great examples you just gave.

Here is the thing though, it’s been more than 10 years spanning three different coaches and none of them have won over that time at Delaware.

So when you say it doesn’t cut the muster at Delaware, not even close... Well for us fans that’s true, but is it really true for the University of Delaware?

KC encouraged and head butted with the University to do major upgrades but for whatever reason they refused to invest the money into the football program to bring it into the 21st-century... And what did KC get for that? He got fired but later did what he had been asking for all along

Now Rocco’s football program is struggling, I’m no fan of RVR but it makes you wonder how a successful Coach comes into the the FCS Penthouse and can’t win. Are there restrictions on the kinds of players they want?

I almost think someone somewhere is ashamed that Delaware was once known as a football school and they are determined to keep it that way.
[/quote]
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm
93BlueHen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

As for restrictions whether it’s by design because it’s what Rocco is comfortable with, or just because we don’t want to spend the money on recruiting trips it seems as though the area we are getting players from has become basically very regional. We used to have more players on our roster from different areas of the country not just De, Pa,NJ.

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:05 am

Maddog@76 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am
77HEN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am
Waiting for the “Spin Room” to post. It’s getting more and more difficult.
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?
Maddog, Villanova completed a well advertised (at least, to their folks and recruits, which is all that really counts) state-of-the-art athletic training center in 2016. It was just another example of Villanova's administration's consistent support and positive commitment towards improvement of their athletic teams, including football...versus Delaware's inconsistent lurching and false starts and stops.

Frankly, Villanova has consistently done a MUCH better job of taking advantage of, and advertising their successes and their plans (sometimes false...as in their proposed move to FBS) for the future (although kudos to UD for our recent upgrades...they are top notch). Combine that with the fact that Villanova is in a unique situation due to their national prominence in basketball, then toss in the fact that Talley had been a solid coach, with a solid staff...with stability. As a result, nova has been able to recruit (and develop) high level players throughout the last 20 years.

Think back...they used to be in D1 when we were in DII. Yes, they failed miserably and dropped football. But, when they came back, it only took them a few years to rebuild their football program and begin beating Delaware (all of our coaches) regularly. Talley was a good coach...but nova also got a recruiting edge in the early 2000s when they started talking about going back up to FBS football. That was huge...several of their players were quoted in the local newspapers as saying they came to Villanova to be a part of helping them transition to FBS football and many of those players carried them through their FCS championship in 2009.

Shortly after their championship, they played off of their recent string of success (unlike UD) and started talking about upgrading their facilities...and in 2013, they selected their contractors and showed their plans to increase their training facilities. The Howie Long (yup, that Howie Long...he gave $1,000,000) Strength and Conditioning Center was completed in 2016... as part of the Andrew J Talley Center, and those facilities gave nova a big edge (we had a high school weight room before our recent upgrade).

Hopefully, our new facilities will enable us to attract better recruits. With the right coach, UD should be able to be back on top.

On another note...one of my son's nurses is married to one of current nova's coaches. Another is the daughter of one of Keeler's former UD staff...and a JMU grad. Fantastic ladies. Fun times and conversations over the past couple weeks... :lol: ...but, sheesh...I have a feeling I won't be in a position to needle either one of them after 10/23 and 11/20. :oops:

Still, one can hope. :D
I went by the Tub today, and the theme song to the Titanic was playing over the speakers.

VIKING '87
UD Class: 1987

Post by VIKING '87 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:12 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:51 pm
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm
We'd be lucky to win another game. Gotta make a change if less than 7-4.
Do you seriously see any chance they could go 7-4? What’s your beverage of choice?
I think he accidentally got the numbers reversed. Best we will do is likely 5-6. Hope I am wrong. Would be curious to know why someone might think we can get to 7 wins.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

VIKING '87
UD Class: 1987

Post by VIKING '87 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 am

Screaming Chicken wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:35 pm
I am so over the bad football we’ve been subjected to! Not only is it bad but it’s boring to watch. It’s time to get someone in here that will make Delaware football relevant again! Please go down to Texas and tell Ryan Carty it’s time to come home. I want a guy that has Delaware roots in here! Please stop this train wreck! I’ve been a season ticket holder for about 25 years and it just isn’t fun to go down to the games.

In my beast sarcastic voice, “I can’t wait to get the begesus kicked out of us next week against JMU!” I’m not looking forward to seeing next weeks game…and for that matter the rest of the season and that’s a shame.
Look forward to Dixie! Remain positive:)
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:32 am

VIKING '87 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:12 am
bluehenbillk wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:51 pm
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm
We'd be lucky to win another game. Gotta make a change if less than 7-4.
Do you seriously see any chance they could go 7-4? What’s your beverage of choice?
I think he accidentally got the numbers reversed. Best we will do is likely 5-6. Hope I am wrong. Would be curious to know why someone might think we can get to 7 wins.
No I don't think it's likely. If somehow they pull it off, then Rocco showed enough coaching ability to save his job. But in absence of a complete 180 at this point, it's time for a new direction. What a disappointment after the spring.

BlueHenBobby

Post by BlueHenBobby » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 am

Cluck U wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:05 am
Maddog@76 wrote:
77HEN wrote:
There are 122 FCS football programs. I would imagine everyone of those would like to be a constant winner, and be in playoffs every year. But that is a difficult thing to do. Having said that. For a school with one of the worst football stadiums (and no football facilities compared to UD), in the CAA, how does Villanova always field a dominant football team?
Maddog, Villanova completed a well advertised (at least, to their folks and recruits, which is all that really counts) state-of-the-art athletic training center in 2016. It was just another example of Villanova's administration's consistent support and positive commitment towards improvement of their athletic teams, including football...versus Delaware's inconsistent lurching and false starts and stops.

Frankly, Villanova has consistently done a MUCH better job of taking advantage of, and advertising their successes and their plans (sometimes false...as in their proposed move to FBS) for the future (although kudos to UD for our recent upgrades...they are top notch). Combine that with the fact that Villanova is in a unique situation due to their national prominence in basketball, then toss in the fact that Talley had been a solid coach, with a solid staff...with stability. As a result, nova has been able to recruit (and develop) high level players throughout the last 20 years.

Think back...they used to be in D1 when we were in DII. Yes, they failed miserably and dropped football. But, when they came back, it only took them a few years to rebuild their football program and begin beating Delaware (all of our coaches) regularly. Talley was a good coach...but nova also got a recruiting edge in the early 2000s when they started talking about going back up to FBS football. That was huge...several of their players were quoted in the local newspapers as saying they came to Villanova to be a part of helping them transition to FBS football and many of those players carried them through their FCS championship in 2009.

Shortly after their championship, they played off of their recent string of success (unlike UD) and started talking about upgrading their facilities...and in 2013, they selected their contractors and showed their plans to increase their training facilities. The Howie Long (yup, that Howie Long...he gave $1,000,000) Strength and Conditioning Center was completed in 2016... as part of the Andrew J Talley Center, and those facilities gave nova a big edge (we had a high school weight room before our recent upgrade).

Hopefully, our new facilities will enable us to attract better recruits. With the right coach, UD should be able to be back on top.

On another note...one of my son's nurses is married to one of current nova's coaches. Another is the daughter of one of Keeler's former UD staff...and a JMU grad. Fantastic ladies. Fun times and conversations over the past couple weeks... :lol: ...but, sheesh...I have a feeling I won't be in a position to needle either one of them after 10/23 and 11/20. :oops:

Great post. Carribean Hen touched on the same thing in a post made yesterday. The point being that there is something else to consider in the lack of performance in UD's program beside the coaches. No, I'm not a KC lover or hater, nor am I a Dave Brock fan and I am certainly not a DR fan. I remember sitting in the East Stands in 1974 in a Bacardi induced fog watching us beat the sh** out of D1 Nova. Not too many years later Nova dropped football. They've since become a consistently good to sometimes great FCS program. They've barely skipped a beat since Talley retired. I believe that is largely due to the leadership that their University BOT, trustees and athletic administration have provided. I've always insisted the success of our program occurred despite the leadership of our administration and BOT. We're on our third coach in the last decade so it kind of makes you wonder. Yeah Brock's and Rocco's warts are fully visible. Friction between KC and Harker was also obvious. But that's not the whole issue. As you said support has come in fits and starts. Is it possible that there has been direction from them on the type of recruits and locations we go for or other aspects of how the football program is run? The Board and Admin seem to be pretty coy about what and how they communicate to the public. Concerning any potential move to FBS the most definitive communication seems to be the announcement that the stadium capacity after renovation had been reduced by about 4000. With regard to what the expectations are within the FCS there was a lot of Bally-Hoo when the WAC was started and finished, but I expect that the real answer will come at the end of this season when a decision is made on DR's contract extension (or non-extension).

Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:59 pm

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 am

Great post. Carribean Hen touched on the same thing in a post made yesterday. The point being that there is something else to consider in the lack of performance in UD's program beside the coaches. No, I'm not a KC lover or hater, nor am I a Dave Brock fan and I am certainly not a DR fan. I remember sitting in the East Stands in 1974 in a Bacardi induced fog watching us beat the sh** out of D1 Nova. Not too many years later Nova dropped football. They've since become a consistently good to sometimes great FCS program. They've barely skipped a beat since Talley retired. I believe that is largely due to the leadership that their University BOT, trustees and athletic administration have provided. I've always insisted the success of our program occurred despite the leadership of our administration and BOT. We're on our third coach in the last decade so it kind of makes you wonder. Yeah Brock's and Rocco's warts are fully visible. Friction between KC and Harker was also obvious. But that's not the whole issue. As you said support has come in fits and starts. Is it possible that there has been direction from them on the type of recruits and locations we go for or other aspects of how the football program is run? The Board and Admin seem to be pretty coy about what and how they communicate to the public. Concerning any potential move to FBS the most definitive communication seems to be the announcement that the stadium capacity after renovation had been reduced by about 4000. With regard to what the expectations are within the FCS there was a lot of Bally-Hoo when the WAC was started and finished, but I expect that the real answer will come at the end of this season when a decision is made on DR's contract extension (or non-extension).
Nova football and their administrative support feeds off their basketball program in my opinion. not saying that is a bad thing, but having a nationally relevant basketball program that makes revenue is not going to hurt the status of a top tier FCS football program. As for recruiting, one thing that was made clear when KC was let go was in state relationships and regional recruiting presence. Keeler was recruiting Florida, Georgia, etc....That all stopped with the arrival of Brock and the emphasis was placed on a close radius to the school if I am remembering correctly. That is when the state was put on the 50 yard line and on the uniforms. Maybe there is still an emphasis in place....It certainly looks that way.
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

BlueHenBobby

Post by BlueHenBobby » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm

I would certainly agree that Villanova's prominence/excellence in D1 basketball spills over into the football program. Their athletic programs and the school in general clearly benefit from that. Comes back to how the athletic programs on the whole are managed there. Look no further than our D1 basketball program to see the overall mediocrity of how our BOT and athletic department manages all our programs (with a few exceptions).

Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:05 am
Maddog@76 wrote:
77HEN wrote:

Cluck- Thanks for the detailed response. It is downright embarrassing to see a CAA team so close in proximity always do so well and beat us so consistently! I can’t stand villa-stinking-nova, but have to begrudgingly tip my hat to them. I hope we can get things right during my lifetime. G0 BLUE HENS! Wayne Hanby

Hens55
UD Class: 2012

Post by Hens55 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Not new to reading gohens but finally signed on to post. Season ticket since 1970 but stopped when they hired Brock , knew that was going to be a death spiral. Just my 2 cents but I kinda figured when Rocco was hired, it was just to stabilize the program, and I think we all can agree that he did that. He's a solid coach but not what we all want going forward.....if my math is correct....and taking away the spring season....he is at 22-19. UD is a great school with a wonderful campus....right in the middle of major cities...close to the shore. There's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to hire a dynamic coach here and consistently be a major player......unless what someone else commented on is true......the powers that be aren't interested in that.

HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:12 pm

Thanks for signing up and posting Hens55 !
Glad to have you on board.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!