Mutts

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDPat

Re: Mutts

Post by UDPat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm

bluehenjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:51 pm
darthdave wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 pm
Just to be clear, I hope both of them find success at their new schools
No they are traders.
I'm with Dave and again, if your answer to this is No? Well, you are not telling the truth

If Justyn Mutts was your son, you'd be extremely proud and have no issues with what He is doing!!!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm

bluehenjeff wrote:
darthdave wrote:
No they are traders.
And what items do they have for trade? Stocks, bonds, baseball cards? Didn’t know that was a thing in college hoops.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:18 pm

UDPat wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm
bluehenjeff wrote:
darthdave wrote:
No they are traders.
I'm with Dave and again, if your answer to this is No? Well, you are not telling the truth

If Justyn Mutts was your son, you'd be extremely proud and have no issues with what He is doing!!!!!
Not me...I do think there is something to honoring commitments and loyalty, but I know I'm old school. I also think he's making a mistake, as I feel he would be in a much better position to get significant playing time to demonstrate his abilities at UD than in the ACC. I personally don't think he's a legitimate NBA prospect, so not sure what this will do for him...especially if he get's less playing time at Va Tech. I suppose we'll find out...eventually. Regardless, the kid doesn't want to be here, so it's next man up!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Apples and Oranges,

I get it most are only viewing this from a UD bball perspective. I completely understand.

I believe I am as old school as anyone and you may be 100% accurate with all your comments( and I think you will be more right than wrong) and it still won't change my opinion and here's why:

Opportunity........One of the most powerful words in existence!!! You have it, you're chances of success in most cases increase significantly.

How can I be upset at anyone who has worked as hard as He has both on and off the court. He took advantage of all opportunities that have so far been presented to him and for that...He has given himself another opportunity to now possible play for 2 years in one of the best 2/3 conferences in the country.

It may not work out for him and I know there will be some who are hoping and can't wait to point it out if that occurs.
There are extremely few individuals that could have done this, 1 out of 100?? I'll side with the 1. And I guess,(cause I can't imagine and I don't think most of you can either) Justyn Mutts doesn't want to wake up 30-40 years and have regrets!!!! Could I have.........

There's only one way for him to find out.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 pm

For the record, I don't blame the kid, and I'm certainly not one who is hoping he fails. I'm just saying if I were his father, I would have counseled him against the move for the reasons I mentioned in my post. Ultimately, we can only play with the kids who want to be here, so let's get after it and bring home a conference title and NCAA bid with the kids still in the program...and hopefully one more yet to be identified Big... :)

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:46 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:18 pm
UDPat wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm
bluehenjeff wrote:

No they are traders.

Not me...I do think there is something to honoring commitments and loyalty, but I know I'm old school. I also think he's making a mistake, as I feel he would be in a much better position to get significant playing time to demonstrate his abilities at UD than in the ACC. I personally don't think he's a legitimate NBA prospect, so not sure what this will do for him...especially if he get's less playing time at Va Tech. I suppose we'll find out...eventually. Regardless, the kid doesn't want to be here, so it's next man up!
+ 1,000!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:55 pm

UDPat wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Apples and Oranges,

I get it most are only viewing this from a UD bball perspective. I completely understand.

I believe I am as old school as anyone and you may be 100% accurate with all your comments( and I think you will be more right than wrong) and it still won't change my opinion and here's why:

Opportunity........One of the most powerful words in existence!!! You have it, you're chances of success in most cases increase significantly.

How can I be upset at anyone who has worked as hard as He has both on and off the court. He took advantage of all opportunities that have so far been presented to him and for that...He has given himself another opportunity to now possible play for 2 years in one of the best 2/3 conferences in the country.

It may not work out for him and I know there will be some who are hoping and can't wait to point it out if that occurs.
There are extremely few individuals that could have done this, 1 out of 100?? I'll side with the 1. And I guess,(cause I can't imagine and I don't think most of you can either) Justyn Mutts doesn't want to wake up 30-40 years and have regrets!!!! Could I have.........

UDPat, I know that Va Tech has made the NCAA Tourney each of at least the past 3 years. Looking at what VA Tech has coming back and what they added (and recognizing that VA tech is very unlikely to win the ACC in 2021?) , do you believe that VA Tech has at least an equal chance to reach the NCAA Tourney in 2021 as UD would with Mutts to win the CAA and gain the NCAA Tourney automatic qualifier? IF UD has at least an equal chance, then wouldn't Mutts be better served to win a CAA Champioshiop and make the NCAA Tourney? If Mutts wanted to (he would be a UD leader if not captain in 2021-2022), couldn't he have stayed at UD for one more year and then transferred to VA Tech or some other college in P5 conference for his final year of eligibility? Plus, regardless of the enhanced exposure of playing at VA Tech in the ACC, does Mutts really have much of a possibility of making (and sticking in) the NBA?

gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Live by the transfer/die by the transfer

I'm sure there are UAB fans pissed off Darling left. Just as there are Delaware fans pissed off Daly left and now Mutts.

Transfers are the new normal. Ingelsby needs to build a solid core and add an impact transfer each year. That's the game.
Stats don't lie

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:37 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:55 pm
UDPat wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Apples and Oranges,

UDPat, I know that Va Tech has made the NCAA Tourney each of at least the past 3 years. Looking at what VA Tech has coming back and what they added (and recognizing that VA tech is very unlikely to win the ACC in 2021?) , do you believe that VA Tech has at least an equal chance to reach the NCAA Tourney in 2021 as UD would with Mutts to win the CAA and gain the NCAA Tourney automatic qualifier? IF UD has at least an equal chance, then wouldn't Mutts be better served to win a CAA Champioshiop and make the NCAA Tourney? If Mutts wanted to (he would be a UD leader if not captain in 2021-2022), couldn't he have stayed at UD for one more year and then transferred to VA Tech or some other college in P5 conference for his final year of eligibility? Plus, regardless of the enhanced exposure of playing at VA Tech in the ACC, does Mutts really have much of a possibility of making (and sticking in) the NBA?
I don't care one bit about VA Tech's chances of making the NCAA's. I am looking at the individual's accomplishments and that it very impressive.

I have a son, do you?, who in about a year will be applying to Graduate schools. There will most likely be no scholarship. He is not an athlete. If He is admitted to Grad school, I will be extremely proud even I need 3 jobs to afford.

I am not looking at this concerning his future in hoops, if you are good enough it doesn't matter where you play.

I never said how I would advised him if was my son, but to sit here and look at this only for UD hoops is narrow minded. I am looking at this as a parent and ANY parent who would not dancing in the streets with joy if this was your child's accomplishments, well that person should have NEVER became a parent.

If your only view of this is UD Hoops( and no one is a bigger fan of UD hoops than me) than your view is perfectly fine, not trying to change your mind.

I am not looking at that way. See my game is a little bigger than basketball, it's called the Game of Life!!!!!

And for that game, Justyn Mutts has prepared himself very very well. Proud of him.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am

You can't help yourself, can you Pat? Your original post said any parent should be “…proud and have no issues with what He is doing!!!!!” Well, is it possible to be proud and still potentially have concerns with what he is doing??? Life isn’t always black and white…there are often many shades of gray. Again, I don’t wish the kid ill will, nor am I mad at him for wanting to play in the ACC. And I’m not looking at this from a UD fans perspective only. All I’m saying is, in this particular instance, I personally believe it would be in his best interest to stay at UD for at least another year…for all the reasons I’ve mentioned previously. That’s it and that’s all. Can’t it be okay for someone to have a different opinion than you without being attacked or being accused of bad parenting??? I would counsel him that the grass is not always greener, and that bigger isn’t necessarily better. Ask Joe Flacco, Zach Kerr, Pat Devlin, Gino Gradkowski, Troy Reeder and many others that question. Having said that, if he still had his heart set on going to Va Tech, I would be extremely proud and in the stands supporting my son (at least post COVID...lol). Hopefully I won’t get attacked for this post, and we can agree to disagree.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 am

Perhaps the young man chose VTech because of the opportunity to grab a valuable degree from that institution. And hey, guess what, he'll get it for free. Maybe he isn't looking to go any farther with his basketball skills but recognizes that he has enough skills that have allowed for him to grab this particular opportunity that may reward him greatly down the road. Doors don't open that often for everyone. Maybe the education is worth more to him than a game in the NCAA's ...which will pay him nothing dollar-wise.

DCHen97
UD Class: 0

Post by DCHen97 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:04 am

If I'm a kid growing up living the game of basketball, worked my butt off in school and on the court and now have an opportunity to play meaningful conference games at Cameron Indoor, the Carrier Dome, Dean Smith Center and in South Bend for two years, and get a grad degree? NBA prospects or not, that's a lot to leave on the table to try to win a mid-major conference championship.
Last edited by DCHen97 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:07 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 am
Perhaps the young man chose VTech because of the opportunity to grab a valuable degree from that institution. And hey, guess what, he'll get it for free. Maybe he isn't looking to go any farther with his basketball skills but recognizes that he has enough skills that have allowed for him to grab this particular opportunity that may reward him greatly down the road. Doors don't open that often for everyone. Maybe the education is worth more to him than a game in the NCAA's ...which will pay him nothing dollar-wise.
Mutts could have gotten his grad school free at UD.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:19 am

Try to play along there Bill. A grad degree from UD or a grad degree from VTech. Depending on the major there could be a huge difference.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:19 am
Try to play along there Bill. A grad degree from UD or a grad degree from VTech. Depending on the major there could be a huge difference.
Mutts decison was driven primarily by Basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if Va Tech is less accomodating to the Men's Basketball players' academics as UD. Mutts undergraduate degree was in Psychology. Regardless, what is your data/source to show that undergrad and/or grad education is viewed as superior at Va Tech than at UD?
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.