WBB at James Madison Feb 20-21

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: WBB at James Madison Feb 20-21

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Both teams looked tired to me on Sunday, but UD especially so. I believe that was a significant factor in UD's poor shooting with a lot of shots coming up short due to tired legs. I believe that the late start time was also a factor. Sunday's game had to be started at 6:00 PM because Sat's game was started at 6:00 PM. Why was Sat's game started at 6:00 PM? Did UD travel to JMU on Friday or Sat? If Sat, was that a budgetary move to save one night's lodging & meals?

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm

Bill- a couple of thoughts: not to be arguementative!!

20 year olds being "tired"? come on man :wink: - we all played pickup games for hours upon hours. These kids are on schollies. both teams are in the same situation. For example, Quality teams can perform well in conference tournaments playing 3 or 4 games in a row. Sometimes their level will drop off on the 3rd day, but that's when adrenalin kicks in. High seeding is so important as is solid DEPTH ON YOUR BENCH. We certainly have that factor in our favor with this 2021 version of Lady Blue Hens, and it's evident by the number of quick subs that NA likes to utilize.

I didn't comment during the poor performance yesterday. I had hoped we had turned the corner on a more consistent shooting pattern.

We should have won that second game, and were somewhat lucky that Smalls nailed that 3 pointer the night before. It gave us the OT leading to our big win. Had we lost both games, it would have become a tough row to hoe!

Good luck to our Lady Hens. hope we kick it up a notch and get to the Big Dance :)
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 am

[quote=Henny post_id=381705 time=1614005589 user_id=70]
[quote=UDJoe post_id=381704 time=1613999803 user_id=82]
It's tough to beat a team like JMU three times on its home floor in one season -- which might have been the case given that the tournament will be held there. Yesterday's game still has to create some doubt in JMU's mind about their ability to beat the Hens again, since a potential rout turned into a close contest at the end. In the next game (if there is one), the Hens will have the psychological advantage IMHO.
[/quote]

The women's tournament is at Elon this year, but yes, agree.

Helping JMU get to the 3 seed might not be a bad thing. I think we match up better against Drexel.
[/quote]

I stand corrected about the site of the tournament. Thanks. Even better for the Hens.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

CAA RANKED 6TH AMONG DIVISION I CONFERENCES: The CAA was ranked 6th among the nation's 31 Division I conferences according to the latest RPI calculations from WarrenNolan.com as of Feb. 22. The CAA only trails the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm

20 year olds being "tired"? come on man :wink: - we all played pickup games for hours upon hours. These kids are on schollies. both teams are in the same situation. For example, Quality teams can perform well in conference tournaments playing 3 or 4 games in a row. Sometimes their level will drop off on the 3rd day, but that's when adrenalin kicks in. High seeding is so important as is solid DEPTH ON YOUR BENCH. We certainly have that factor in our favor with this 2021 version of Lady Blue Hens, and it's evident by the number of quick subs that NA likes to utilize.

I didn't comment during the poor performance yesterday. I had hoped we had turned the corner on a more consistent shooting pattern.

We should have won that second game, and were somewhat lucky that Smalls nailed that 3 pointer the night before. It gave us the OT leading to our big win. Had we lost both games, it would have become a tough row to hoe!

Good luck to our Lady Hens. hope we kick it up a notch and get to the Big Dance :)
Tenn Hen, I see your points, but a lot of the shots by both teams fell short, which is usually due to tired legs. Also, when you played pick-up games for hours, it wasn't on as a high of a level, it didn't occur after a long bus ride, and you went home not to/from a hotel. With regard to tourney play, all teams but the host are on equal footing in terms of being away.

In any case, will anyone shed any light on why the unusual start time of 6:00 PM for last Sat's game at JMU?

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 pm
tenn hen wrote:

Tenn Hen, I see your points, but a lot of the shots by both teams fell short, which is usually due to tired legs. Also, when you played pick-up games for hours, it wasn't on as a high of a level, it didn't occur after a long bus ride, and you went home not to/from a hotel. With regard to tourney play, all teams but the host are on equal footing in terms of being away.

In any case, will anyone shed any light on why the unusual start time of 6:00 PM for last Sat's game at JMU?

Bill they moved it due to the home football game at JMU Saturday.
Delaware Football- 2021 Spring CAA Champions!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:02 pm

Henny wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:42 pm
tenn hen wrote:

Bill they moved it due to the home football game at JMU Saturday.
Henny, Thank you. I entertained that was the reason, but then rejected it as ridiculous since JMU isn't allowing any fans to attend any Home games at this point and JMU should have had no problem hosting both events the same afternoon, if not at the same time.