Off-topic but local: Stan Waterman to DSU

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
pksundevil
UD Class: 1998

Off-topic but local: Stan Waterman to DSU

Post by pksundevil » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:23 pm

being reported on Twitter- if that program is going to become more consistent and achieve some success, this may be their best shot in quite a while.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Re: Off-topic but local: Stan Waterman to DSU

Post by darthdave » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Dropping to D2 would be their best move for success.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 pm

I actually really like this hire. May or may not pan out, but at a program like Del State you have to think out of the box and this is out of the box.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:48 am

Udforever1 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 pm
I actually really like this hire. May or may not pan out, but at a program like Del State you have to think out of the box and this is out of the box.
I agree. Nothing to lose here. I think he will get them respectable.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 am

I don't follow delaware hs bball, but it appears they made a solid choice. I viewed the video and his composure was impressive. His players would "run through a wall for him"? sounds good. Can he develop a culture as he mentioned at DSU? certainly with the right players. He obviously knows all about the surrounding wealth of talent. I like their choice and wish him well.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:48 am
Udforever1 wrote:
It was a disaster the last time they went the HS route. Don't think that will occur this time. Success? Hopefully

I compare this to Jay Wright going to the Sixers, I would advise against both.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:40 am

I think Waterman is an assistant principal at Stanford. Maybe he should not resign that post. DSU basketball and football is a graveyard for coaches.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1980

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 am

UDPat wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am
HENJOHN wrote:
Udforever1 wrote:
It was a disaster the last time they went the HS route. Don't think that will occur this time. Success? Hopefully

The way they have been stinking up the joint and spinning their wheels Pat for years, is there really a downside to this? They Aren't going to get a high profile college Assistant.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 am

dovetail wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:40 am
I think Waterman is an assistant principal at Stanford. Maybe he should not resign that post. DSU basketball and football is a graveyard for coaches.
He's the assistant athletic director and dean of students. Don't believe he is an assistant principal. I'm sure Stan received a nice raise from what Sanford was paying him. As for Sanford, this is a huge loss for their program as he has been so successful at the school for so long. Whomever gets the job will have big shoes to fill.
GO BIG BLUE!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:22 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 am
UDPat wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am
HENJOHN wrote:

The way they have been stinking up the joint and spinning their wheels Pat for years, is there really a downside to this? They Aren't going to get a high profile college Assistant.
Agree 100%
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Worked with Stan a lot. Great coach and great guy. Best wishes at Del. State!

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm

dovetail wrote:
Uhh...that would be Sanford.

Just a tiny bit of difference. :D

He will go from coaching private school players to coaching college players at a small, local university that struggles to graduate their students (definitely not on Stanford's level :lol: ).

It will be a challenge, and I wish Mr. Waterman well.
Nice run, Hens! :D

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:03 pm

Great hire for DSU. Stan is good people, and he will bring in much better talent down to Dover. I always enjoyed officiating his games as you knew he would be intense, but always respectful. I wish him all the best...

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:04 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:03 pm
Great hire for DSU. Stan is good people, and he will bring in much better talent down to Dover. I always enjoyed officiating his games as you knew he would be intense, but always respectful. I wish him all the best...
100% agree this is a great hire. I hope it works out for DSU. I know this thread is listed at being off-top, but there nothing off topic about a former Hens hoops player getting a D1 head coaching job. :D I hope to see Mike Pegues as a head coach one day.
GO BIG BLUE!

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:56 am

Cluck U wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm
dovetail wrote:
Uhh...that would be Sanford.

Just a tiny bit of difference. :D

He will go from coaching private school players to coaching college players at a small, local university that struggles to graduate their students (definitely not on Stanford's level :lol: ).

It will be a challenge, and I wish Mr. Waterman well.
I must admit that in all the excitement, I got the little school nestled in the Hockessin highlands mixed up with the big institution on the West Coast. One thing they have in common....they both recruit.